Hi - it's me again....... :blink:

Just a question: do you also experience those "strange"/misplaced shadows like I do? See screenies (the boxes and triangles in the river)...

I have them for quite some time now, but they did never bother me too much since I was having other issues... So it's just a QUESTION.

post-52148-045860900 1280730447.jpg

post-52148-079684100 1280730453.jpg

post-52148-001214800 1280730484.jpg

Stingray77:

I don't play with shadows on, so I don't see any misplaced shadows.

Eric Howes

Try turn down the shadow settings a notch. To my knowledge it's a bug in the game engine after the last patch

Ok, I'm looking at purchasing SF2V and using this expansion pack, but I have a concern after seeing a youtube video. The video claimed to be made using this and had a RF-101C in the opening sequence. Where the radar was supposed to be in the cockpit, there was a map. Is that actually how the RF-101C is in the sim? Are there other planes that can't use actual radar? I'm just curious cause that was visually disturbing.

Jefferson:

Not all aircraft from that era had radar. The RF-101C is one of those aircraft. There are other aircraft in the Expansion Pack that lack radar -- many of the VPAF MiGs, for example. Some U.S. aircraft have only gun-ranging radar, such as the F-100D. Still others have only ground-mapping radar, such as the A-4 and A-6. The primary U.S. fighters, though, have air intercept radar: the F-4s and F-8s.

There's a tutorial at the 3rdWire forums on using the F-4's radar in conjunction with AIM-7 Sparrows:

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2343

Eric Howes

Hello, just downloaded and installed this expansion pack. I tried to be as careful as possible following the instructions, but I must have done something wrong as I encounter what appear to be a couple of issues. When I start a campaign (Rolling Thunder) using a squadron with F-8s (haven't tried anything else yet) I get assigned a strike mission, however the loadout screen where I select the weapons and such, I don't have any bombs available, just Air to Air missiles. Then, when the mission starts the plane just blows up (I think the carrier is missing, therefore up starting the mission the plane crashes in the sea, and the rest of my mates in the flight :)

Any ideas what I may have done wrong and how to fix it? I guess I could start from scratch since the install is probably suspect at this point...

Thanks!

Javigato:

Sounds like it wasn't installed correctly. Best thing to do is to start from scratch and reinstall. If you're installing the SF2 version, make sure you're dropping the new files in the mod directory not the game's installation directory.

Eric Howes

Hi Eric,

I am installing the SF2 version, and I did the mod folder but must have done something wrong. I have SF2 and SF2V up to the June patch... I may just reinstall the whole thing again, I can't even remember when I installed both games, and had not played in months, so maybe something got corrupted, or maybe the Expansion install was done incorrectly. I will give it another try tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks so much, can't wait to give this awesome looking expansion a try!!

Ugh, no luck. The carriers are gone for some reason and causes me and wingman to crash, other flight members (3 and 4) take off just fine, but from the surface of the Gulf of Tonkin since there's no carrier. I was very very careful this time to follow the instructions and I think I did it right, so I have no idea what's going on. Has anyone experience this case of dissapearing carriers? If so, how to fix it?

Thanks!

PS. The loadout after paying closer attention it wasn't a problem, it was working right.

As the carriers are part of the basic game already, your initial SF2/V-install seems to be faulty.

You can (should) try de- and reinstalling the game freshly.

Thanks Sting, I am going to try that tonight. The weird thing though is that before I applied this pack, to test it, I started a campaign (Rolling Thunder) with the same unit (VF-11) and no mods, just the stock files, and the carrier was there and things seem ok. Once I applied the pack, then carriers go bye-bye....

I'll try a fresh install tonight (SF2 and SF2V merged), then apply the pack and see what happens. Anothing thing that could be is that the pack files maybe did not download correctly into my machine, so if the fresh install does not work, I'll try re-downloading the pack.

Still no luck... I unsinstalled SF2 and SF2V, went to my "download" center at Thirdwire and pulled the exes, installed them. Started the game, carriers there. Applied the mod, carriers gone. I feel dumb. I am going to try downloading the mod again from here, it could be it got corrupted. If that doesn't work then, I don't know... :)

I am getting sleepy so I will have to continue tomorrow after work... I just re-downloaded the files from here, and looking at the size they look the same size as before (the .7z files, I have not unpacked them yet).

Another thing that could be perhaps... I have Windows 7, when I move the "To_Mod_folder" they "merge" with whatever is there in the mod folder. Are there any issues with that I wonder?

Nothing... But you sure put all the "To_Mod-folder"-stuff into your drive (not C:/!) under saved games, right?

Yea, the main install is under the C:/Program Files, and I put all the To_Mod_Folder items under saved games/Thirdwire/SF2V. In fact, when I rename the folder under saved games, and play the stock, the carrier is there. I have no idea what I may be doing wrong...

If there's anything I can put in here to help me troubleshoot this (screenshots, .ini files, etc) let me know please.

Well, that's always hard to troubleshoot - you know.

If the carriers are there on the stock game and you applied the XP all according to the book (install notes), they definitely should be there as well... They are with me and seemingly everybody else, except for you... So, where to start?

One thing that COULD be of help, would be posting your SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V-properties - say: how many folders, files and overall size - and to compare that with somebody else, who did not apply ANY OTHER mods. (Unfortunately I did, so I cannot be of more help there, sorry.) At least that would give you a hint, if your mod-folder is missing something.....

My GUESS would be either something missing on the XP (remember: it's four parts) or incorrect application.....

Thanks stingray, when I get home I will look at the properties of the saved games folder for this XP and post here the number of folders, files and size. Here are my install steps:

1 - Fresh install of SF2

2 - Fresh install of SF2V (merged with SF2)

3 - Did NOT have to apply the june patch (got a message that it was already up to date, found that strange, but I wonder if TK updated the .exe files to be to the lastest for the main games).

4 - Ran game once to create the main mod folder under saved games

5 - Delete all folders inside the saved games main folder, just left the main directory: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V

6 - Install part 1 of XP (to_mod_folder, I just moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V)

7 - Install part 2 of XP (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V)

8 - Install part 3 of XP (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V)

9 - Install part 4 of XP (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V)

10 - Install the Dec-09 files from part 1 (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V, Windows asked me if I wanted to merge, said yes, and also yes to overwritting)

11 - Install July update (to_mod_folder, moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V, Windows asked me if I wanted to merge, said yes, and also yes to overwritting))

12 - Install the Dec-09 files from July update (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V, Windows asked me if I wanted to merge, said yes, and also yes to overwritting)

During step 4, when I ran the game the carrier was showing. The carrier dissapeared after step 10, still missing after step 12. Thanks so much, hopefully we can work this out!!

here's what i got in the mod folder, C:\Users\user1\Saved Games\Thirdwire\StrikeFighters2 Vietnam:

14,007 Files, 1,401 Folders

Size on disk: 4.37 GB (4,697,583,616 bytes)

Thanks stingray, when I get home I will look at the properties of the saved games folder for this XP and post here the number of folders, files and size. Here are my install steps:

1 - Fresh install of SF2

2 - Fresh install of SF2V (merged with SF2)

3 - Did NOT have to apply the june patch (got a message that it was already up to date, found that strange, but I wonder if TK updated the .exe files to be to the lastest for the main games).

4 - Ran game once to create the main mod folder under saved games

5 - Delete all folders inside the saved games main folder, just left the main directory: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V

6 - Install part 1 of XP (to_mod_folder, I just moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V)

7 - Install part 2 of XP (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V)

8 - Install part 3 of XP (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V)

9 - Install part 4 of XP (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V)

10 - Install the Dec-09 files from part 1 (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V, Windows asked me if I wanted to merge, said yes, and also yes to overwritting)

11 - Install July update (to_mod_folder, moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V, Windows asked me if I wanted to merge, said yes, and also yes to overwritting))

12 - Install the Dec-09 files from July update (moved the folders to the saved games folder the game created: SavedGames/ThirdWire/SF2V, Windows asked me if I wanted to merge, said yes, and also yes to overwritting)

During step 4, when I ran the game the carrier was showing. The carrier dissapeared after step 10, still missing after step 12. Thanks so much, hopefully we can work this out!!

I'm not familiar with windows vista or 7, so I don't know exactly what "merge" is referring to. Does that mean it's merging two files with the same name instead of simply over writing the old with the new?

If so, that could be part of the problem. You definitely want to just overwrite whenever asked.

Edited by malibu43

In theory it merges the folders, leaves the files that are there, puts new ones and overwrites dups with the new ones. What it may be is if that Vista/7 functionality is not working properly, but I would imagine then someone else here would have had this same problem...

I got it to work! I deleted the whole "groundobjects" forlder from the XP installed, ran the game once which re-generated a new groundobjects folder, pasted all the ground objects from the XP files, and carriers are back and here to stay!! Thanks for all your help!

Right - what you did wrong initially was deleting the contents from the mod-folder created by the game. That one is needed. The XP is "just" applied over what's already in there, overwriting some of that data... (Just to be sure - if I were you, I would go though it once again: delete the mod folder, run the game once and apply the XP...)

Good you've been able to sort that out.

Btw: yes, TK updates all of his exe's to the latest patch. Nice, hm? :grin:

Thanks Sting, I am glad I got it to work. Once I figured it out, I did what you suggested it, reinstall the XP after running the game once :) Now, the XP is pretty AWESOME!!

That's really nice of TK, I've enjoyed pretty much everything from his series, and level of customer support/helpfulness is one of the best if not the best!!