Sign in to follow this  
zoomzoom

Any Suggestions?

I decided to copy this from another thread, as I didn't want to keep hijacking that one. I am looking for ways to improve my dated computers performance, or determine whether I just need to wait and buy a new one. Specs are:

Dell Dimentia E520

windows xp 2002 service pack 3

Pentium D Cpu 2.80 Ghz

2.79 ghz, 3.00 GB ram

The graphics card is as follows:

Nvidia GE Force 7300 LE

I'm thinking perhaps a new Graphics card would show a significant enough boost in performance to prevent me from having to scrape up enough for a new rig. What do you guys think? And if so, do you have any recommendations?

TIA! ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom

Here is a benchmark comparison of vid cards from Tom's Hardware.

Your card is already rather lower end, I'd say.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/Sum-of-FPS-Benchmarks-1280x1024,796.html

You could look into the Tips & Tricks or FAQs - somewhere there was a screenshot of how to set up the graphic settings.

imho...if you havnt already, try out rabus settings for cfs3config, and consider looking at alacricty, which shuts down services you dont need when running the game.

didnt say if you had pcie or not, going to assume you have agp/pci...

If i was going to upgrade the video, i would not spend much more than 80bucks on a card. Would think a top of the line card on that system would be so bottlenecked by cpu that you would be wasting money (just my opinion)

bottom line,,,,start saving.....put you money into something thats going to be good,,,,not mediocre

Thanks guys....you are giving me good stuff to think about. You almost word for word voiced my concern SD. Don't spend a bunch upgrading the card when the Cpu is gonna cripple it anyway. Save for a decent machine. Thats the direction I'm leaning.

ZZ.

PS..Thanks for the card info Olham...very helpfull. I'm reviewing that as well.

ZZ,

Your CPU upgrade options are very limited, too. You could "upgrade" to a dual core E6700 (4M vs 2M Cache, 2.66 GHz vs 2.8 GHz, 1066 MHz vs 800 GHz FSB) , but that may not help your BHaH performance at all. Save your money for a new pooter.

Edited by BirdDogICT

Well, I wouldn't say that - depends on the money he wants to invest.

I'm running the sim fine on an E6550, 2,33 GHz; an ATI RADEON X1900; 2 GB RAM

Thats interesting Olham. Hmmmmmm. Now I'm stumped. Cash is tight at the moment and will be for a while for me. If I can upgrade the graphics card as you suggest Olham....we're lookin at around $80 bucks I'd say,and this can get me back in the game for the time being.... say the next year or so...instead of sitting on the side lines and not being able to play at all (which is where I am right now), that might be advisable. Olham, are you able to play with "heavy enemy activity" whatever the workshop setting is that has higher numbers of planes in a scrap, and still have no halting in the flow of movement in game? Your machine seems better but somewhat comparable to mine. Just curious.

ZZ.

Well, I wouldn't say that - depends on the money he wants to invest.

I'm running the sim fine on an E6550, 2,33 GHz; an ATI RADEON X1900; 2 GB RAM

You're right, Olham. Cost is always an issue. An $80 dollar graphics card upgrade is a very cheap, practical option.

It's difficult to know when you reach the point of diminishing returns with computer upgrades. My general rule of thumb is that if a piece of hardware is three years old, it's already beginning to reach its' useful life due to the effects of heat. Most of my PC builds last 6 years or more and I typically upgrade the video card after 2-3 years.

I was also running BHaH with an ATI X1950XTX and was getting good performance on low slider settings. I'm glad I upgraded to a 4870.

Edited by BirdDogICT

Power supply is indeed to consider, as UncleAl mentioned.

Zoomzoom, I have my air activity on "medium", and with that, I had incredible action

with my SPAD in 1918.

A normal scenario would be:

Our two flights of 5-6 craft each, would run into three flights of 5-6 German craft.

Sometimes they all join in, and then the name "furball" makes perfect sense.

Wow...I'll check into that Unlcleal, thats pretty cheap. I think I'll call Tiger Direct to to be sure its a good fit PSU, and slot wise. They are pretty good about that.

That sounds like a good good setting Olham, thats what I'm shooting for. Don't care if all my sliders are on 2!!...as long as I can get in a scrap like that without my target jerking out of my sights unnaturally due to FPS jaggies.yikes.gif

ZZ.

ZZ,

If stutters are a problem, you might try experimenting with turning VSync off and on, and setting your frame rates to a maximum setting somewhere in the 30's. You can access the FPS setting here: OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\default and opening the CFS3.xml file with a text editor. Look for the line <Graphics OldAircraftRender="No" MaxFPS="0"/> and change MaxFPS=0 to a different value. Start with 25 or 30 and gradually increase until you notice a slow down in performance.

My sliders don't have to be on two. They are: Aircraft 5, scenery detail 3, effects 3, clouds 1, rest 2.

See in "Screenshots" how it looks.

If you got new hardware, I can post screenshots from my "graphics settings", if you want.

Believe me if it is a Nvidia 7300LE 512mb, It will run on OFF3, you only have to tweak that f*(#ing CFS3config file (I hate this junk software). Sometimes you get a purple square on the ground but no stuttering. I have manage to run OFF3 using only a:

CPU: AMD Athlon 4200+  2,2Ghz, it was a dualcore but for OFF3 a single core is OK.  

GPU: Nvidia 7300LE-512mb

Win OS: XP sp3 mean and lean, when gaming it is faster then Vista. 

OC: For playing OFF3 I did only a mild OC something like 2.45Ghz for the CPU and adjust Vcard to 596/798 using nTune.  

But maybe if your HD is full, clean it, using software like Ccleaner or better get all the info from Mark "Homeboy" about his AlacrityPC, complete info about stopping unnecessary services and programs!!!!!!

Dutch now running RoF and OFF3 on:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.5Ghz

RAM: 4Gb Crucial Ballistix    

GPU: Sapphire HD4890 VaporX

WOS: still using XPsp3

PSU: Corsair TX750W

ZZ,

Save your money for a new pooter.

That's the best advice I've seen here so far, but it's obvious you're not in a position to run out and buy a state of the art gaming rig right now. While you're saving up for the new rig though, you might consider something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125277

Doesn't require any dedicated power connections (just drop it in your PCIe slot). Typically uses about 59 watts at peak (should work with your existing 305 watt PSU) and will literally wipe the floor with the previously suggested 8400GS.

I'll even go way out on a limb and predict that this card will hold you over nicely until you've managed to fill the cookie jar with funds for a new system. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the performance increase.

Certainly the best "bang for your buck" option I can come up with.

Cheers,

Parky

It appears to me you having a Dell Dimension E520 and not a Dell Dimentia E520 and you want to stay to your PSU because of a tight budget, right!!!!

If so, then go to Tomshardware forum, Dell forum or the Computer wine blog. Do a search on the forums or ask the guy from Computer wine blog about your plans. Lot of guys had the same "I stay to the 305Watt PSU" problem here, so this upgrade its already done.

I do remember that Dells Intel E520 are easy to upgrade maybe even to a Quad CPU?????, it is only not liked by Dell sales policy. Keep in mind that your Mobo is a BTX and not a ATX, so the CPU power must be the same if you want to use the big CPUcooler or do a cooler rebuild.

If you want to OC, you can not do this in the Dells bios, use Clockgen. The videocard can be OC by using nTune from Nvidia wich is easy, simple and has a nice testing loop after adjusting.

But as I already said, keep the $$$ in your pocket, you can run on a 7300LE-512mb, believe me and if you still intent to go for a Vcard, on 22 september the DirectX11 cards will be released so prices of old DirectX10 cards will be dropped!!!!!!

My old rig was a Dell Dimension E521.

E521=AMD dualcore CPU and E520=Intel dualcore CPU.

If you can't find it in these forum search sent me a PM and I will give it a try.

forget something use the latest drivers, from Nvidia, Dell and maybe from Intel.

Edited by Dutch_P47M

It appears to me you having a Dell Dimension E520 and not a Dell Dimentia E520 and you want to stay to your PSU because of a tight budget, right!!!!

If so, then go to Tomshardware forum, Dell forum or the Computer wine blog. Do a search on the forums or ask the guy from Computer wine blog about your plans. Lot of guys had the same "I stay to the 305Watt PSU" problem here, so this upgrade its already done.

I do remember that Dells Intel E520 are easy to upgrade maybe even to a Quad CPU?????, it is only not liked by Dell sales policy. Keep in mind that your Mobo is a BTX and not a ATX, so the CPU power must be the same if you want to use the big CPUcooler or do a cooler rebuild.

If you want to OC, you can not do this in the Dells bios, use Clockgen. The videocard can be OC by using nTune from Nvidia wich is easy, simple and has a nice testing loop after adjusting.

But as I already said, keep the $$ in your pocket, you can run on a 7300LE-512mb, believe me and if you still intent to go for a Vcard, on 22 september the DirectX11 cards will be released so prices of old DirectX10 cards will be dropped!!!!!!

My old rig was a Dell Dimension E521.

E521=AMD dualcore CPU and E520=Intel dualcore CPU.

If you can't find it in these forum search sent me a PM and I will give it a try.

forget something use the latest drivers, from Nvidia, Dell and maybe from Intel.

Dutch,

His problem is mostly due to his graphics card being an absolute piece of GARBAGE. Upgrading his CPU won't yield anywhere near the same performance gains as a half decent card will. Yes....a CPU upgrade would help....but nowhere near as much. Trust me. The graphics card swap is by far his most cost effective and practical solution. As far as overclocking anything on that board, it would be a complete waste of time and effort. He doesn't have the motherboard, RAM or cooling for it.

Cheers,

Parky

Thanks Guys! As usual, you are all the best. I've got lots of good info and a few tricks to try now, so we will see what I can do. Herr-Prop Wasche, excellent info on tweaking that file, I will try it today. In the meantime Parky, thanks for the card recommendation, I will be looking into that as well, seems a great choice if I need to go that route, and I might. Olham, my sliders are all very low, much lower than yours, but maybe some of this tweaking will help with that. I do have the purple patch on the field someone here mentioned, but I can live with it if tweaking the CFS3 config file will get me into some smooth running furballs as you mention. Dutch, I call it a "Dimentia" to insult my computer....its my personal derisive reference for this machine....unfortunately I don't think it really cares or is listening!grin.gif

And finally, as I go through this improvement proceedure, do any of you think a fresh install of OFF might assist in this process? Or would this be superfluous?

ZZ.

Dutch,

His problem is mostly due to his graphics card being an absolute piece of GARBAGE. Upgrading his CPU won't yield anywhere near the same performance gains as a half decent card will. Yes....a CPU upgrade would help....but nowhere near as much. Trust me. The graphics card swap is by far his most cost effective and practical solution. As far as overclocking anything on that board, it would be a complete waste of time and effort. He doesn't have the motherboard, RAM or cooling for it.

Cheers,

Parky

CPU OC:

He can do some mild overclocking if there is a CPU performance problem, Dimensions have a big massive cooler driven by a 120mm fan, mild OC is no problem here and it can help to reach just that little extra you needing here, Dell BTX mobo are actualy fast if you compare them to a modern 790GX AM2+ mobo from MSI. I did this test on a AMD 4200+ CPU (same RAM). For stab. testing I use 3Dmark, temperature monitoring by SIW freeware and AMD cool & quit always out.

If you are doing the OC, keep also a close watch on your HD temp, the position below the CPU is not ideal so they are facing high temperatures. Changing from HD bay could give some improvements here, you never know. But I think his Intel 2.8Ghz does not having any problem regarding OFF3.

VC:

Believe me you can run OFF3 if it is a Nvidia7300LE-512 like I had, but I do not know if a lower Video memory like in a 7300LE-128 could give problems here. So if you are running a lower memory card then this could be your bottleneck for OFF3, this sounds right.

A lott of Dimensions owners have changed the Vcard and stayed to the Dells stock PSU and CPU, you only have to do a search on the Tomhardware and Dell forums, take a look how they managed this VC upgrade, do your choice and ask OFFmembers if they have the same VC and how are they running OFF3 on this VC. I did the same at this forum. Are you only playing OFF3 on this computer then go for a budget VC, but I must admit here, it is better to keep the $$ and go for a beter sytem in the future, when your budget is more, aren't your not saying in the US: its like putting creme on s**t!!!!

ZOOMZOOM, maybe a fresh install of your HD should be a beter idea and read all the topics on CFS3config optimalisation, good luck.

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Not disagreeing with anything said regarding upgrading your hardware, but there a few things you can do to optimise your framerate whatever age or ability your hardware is.

Sounds silly, but zoom in a couple of clicks on your main view. Your lateral view is restricted a bit, but there's less 'on screen' information for your graphics card to handle. You can also switch off your gauges (f5), and/or switch off your cockpit (f3). Doing this might give you a couple more frames per second, which doesn't sound much, but if you're down in the 4 or 5's, it makes the difference between a flyable mission, and slide show. It does compromise your game play, but it's easier going for your pc.

When I started out flying online with CFS3, I flew with the MOG guys for a little while using a machine which just wasn't up to the job. Spent lots of time and money trying to upgrade what I had, but as you say, the log jam was my crumby Celeron CPU. All the same, the MOG guys had loads of ideas how to keep your FPS playable on very marginal performance.

I also find that PSUs of more than 350w are very expensive. You can, however, easily run two PSUs in the same pooter. You just have to jump a couple of connections to fool the second PSU into thinking it is connected to a MOB. This is commonly used to test PSUs on the bench. With 2 PSUs you can power the drives and fans off one, and the MOB and graphics off the other.

This is handy for me because I have about five usable 300/350w PSUs from old computers at work which are just lying there.

If anyone is interested I can find the URL of directions on how to bridge the contacts.

Edited by JimAttrill

I also find that PSUs of more than 350w are very expensive.  You can, however, easily run two PSUs in the same pooter.  You just have to jump a couple of connections to fool the second PSU into thinking it is connected to a MOB.   This is commonly used to test PSUs on the bench.  With 2 PSUs you can power the drives and fans off one, and the MOB and graphics off the other.  

This is handy for me because I have about five usable 300/350w PSUs from old computers at work which are just lying there.  

If anyone is interested I can find the URL of directions on how to bridge the contacts.

Yes using a relais methode PSU/master/slave, the only problem is that the big watt users are the mobo and Vcard!!!! But please share us the method and sent the link. But keep in mind modern VC are power supplied from PCIe slot and two additional connectors. I have read on tweaker.net that this always most be supplied from one PSU otherwise the Vcard can be damaged. 

Dutch  

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Last time I checked, a decent PSU in the 550-700 watt range runs about 80 bucks...if you shop in the right places. PSU isn't ZoomZoom's issue. It's his GPU (mostly). He can see a significant increase in overall gaming performance with a simple graphics accelerator upgrade....and without even having to think about his power supply. Are we suggesting he buys another 300 watt PSU and runs it in conjuction with his existing power supply??? Is this in order to facilitate the introduction of a $400 card that he can't afford (and won't fit in his tower), or to allow for a fairly useless CPU upgrade....which he can't really afford either??

Quite frankly, I'm baffled, and I'm sure he is too.

Tell you what though. If the Zoomster wants to go ahead and grab that card I suggested and he's not happy with the way OFF runs once the card is installed and configured properly, I'll reimburse him for his expenses.

Cheers,

Parky

Listen to Parky, trust me, he's given me good advice and saved me a lot of money updating my system (and many others).

Thanks, Parky!

The Utmost Thanks to all of you kind gentlemen for your help and advice. I am now back in the OFF sky, and ( as you are all likely far more aware of than I) the immersion and new features included with the new updates are nothing short of amazing. I'm still getting used to it all in a glitch free environment. To make a long story short, the advice to alter the CFS3/default file made a world of difference. Parky, you are absolutley right though, my video/graphics card is my weakest link, and I will most definately upgrade to the one you recommended once I have the funds. If its running adequately now without it, well it can only get better with the new card. But I'm back in the fray till then. I owe you all one!!good.gifSalute.gif

ZZ.

PS. Some of the more complex computer linking discussions here are fascinating. Perhaps this could be a way for some folks with a few lesser powerful (outdated) machines to combine them into something usefull? Could be worthy of its own thread?yes.gif