Sign in to follow this  
Check Six

Omaka Aviation Heritage Museum

Was just checking out the Omaka Aviation Heritage Museum, which houses Peter Jackson's toys.

http://www.omaka.org.nz/index.htm

Astonishing. Billed as the larget collection of WW1 aircraft anywhere in the world.

Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Triplane, Fokker Dr 1, Fokker D.VII, Se5a, Etrich Taube, Morane Saulnier BB, Halberstadt D.IV, Nieuport 24, Nieuport 27, Airco DH 5, Airco DH 4, Airco DH 2, Fokker E.III Eindekker, RE8, Albatros B.II, Siemens-Shuckert D.IV, Pfalz D.III, Breguet 14 A2, BE2c.

yikes.gif

Peter is reportedly going to re-make "The Blue Max". I beieve he is the only director in the world who could pull it off, what with his collection, his manufacturing capability, his vast resources. I believe only Peter would do the re-make correctly. Recent WW1 aviation films have sadly crashed and burned at the box office, but any film by Peter Jackson...ANY FILM...will rake it in by the truckloads.

He also has the ability to get any star he wants for the lead roles. Fingers crossed gentemen.

PS. Edited to include an article I just read in today's newspaper that Tom Cruise just visited PJ. It is unknown what they talked about, but PJ is working on a remake of "the classic WW2 epic Dam Busters", the J R R Tolkien classic "The Hobbit" and a film about Belgian comic-strip hero Tin-Tin.

Sadly, no mention of "The Blue Max".

Edited by Check Six

Was just checking out the Omaka Aviation Heritage Museum, which houses Peter Jackson's toys.

Astonishing. Billed as the larget collection of WW1 aircraft anywhere in the world.

Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Triplane, Fokker Dr 1, Fokker D.VII, Se5a, Etrich Taube, Morane Saulnier BB, Halberstadt D.IV, Nieuport 24, Nieuport 27, Airco DH 5, Airco DH 4, Airco DH 2, Fokker E.III Eindekker, RE8, Albatros B.II, Siemens-Shuckert D.IV, Pfalz D.III, Breguet 14 A2, BE2c.

yikes.gif

Peter is reportedly going to re-make "The Blue Max". I beieve he is the only director in the world who could pull it off, what with his collection, his manufacturing capability, his vast resources. I believe only Peter would do the re-make correctlyRecent WW1 aviation films have sadly crashed and burned at the box office, but any film by Peter Jackson...ANY FILM...will rake it in by the truckloads.

He also has the ability to get any star he wants for the lead roles. Fingers crossed gentemen.

Sure hope he does, I think it would show his love of the by gone time , but will it make money? I know that I would see it at least twice then buy the DVD. (same for Red Baron and that one is not great) At the rate hes going at the aircraft. He soon will have enough to start his own air war.

After the huge success of the Lord of the Rings movies, Jackson probably has enough money to fund such a project all by himself. Too few good movies (or movies in general) are made about WW1, and we're really lacking a decent WW1 aviation film made with the help of modern technology. There's some stuff with special effects that just couldn't be done decades ago without computers.

After the huge success of the Lord of the Rings movies, Jackson probably has enough money to fund such a project all by himself. Too few good movies (or movies in general) are made about WW1, and we're really lacking a decent WW1 aviation film made with the help of modern technology. There's some stuff with special effects that just couldn't be done decades ago without computers.

http://www.ww1aero.org.au/The%20Hanger.html

A trailer for the short film "Crossing the Lines" by Peter Jackson used as a background to the Australian War Memorial's latest display "Over The Front".

With his attention to detail, his resources, his team of computer generated graphics wizrds, his current collection...yes, all the pieces fit right in.

Yes, it will make money. A LOT. And raise public interest in our favourite "hobby".

Great news, thank you, Check Six!

I had the privilege of a quick trip to the Australian War Memorial (and Museum) yesterday - I could lose myself for a week there without any trouble at all.

The Peter Jackson short film - shown on a panoramic screen surrounding the SE5a, an Albatros DVa, a Pfalz DVII (??), Avro 504 & DH9a - is simply stunning.

Even surrounded by reminders of the horrors and desperation of war and armed conflict (from Australia's earliest involvements before federation up to the present day) I was, again, reminded of my pride at being associated (even if only by virtue of my birth as a Australian) with the men and women whose sacrifice and dedication is commemorated there.

Lest we forget.

Peter is reportedly going to re-make "The Blue Max".

PS. Edited to include an article I just read in today's newspaper that Tom Cruise just visited PJ.

Peter Jackson and The Blue Max? Outstanding. Let's hope he plays it bythe book.

Tom Cruise? I hope he gets a good part in Tin-Tin.

Edited by Hauksbee

Great stuff Check 6

Thanks for posting

I'd hope Peter Jackson would make a completely new WWI

But I'll see/buy anything he does

Heck, I'd even buy his short film if it was available!

Well here's to hope drinks.gif

Great stuff Check 6

Thanks for posting

I'd hope Peter Jackson would make a completely new WWI

But I'll see/buy anything he does

Heck, I'd even buy his short film if it was available!

Well here's to hope drinks.gif

I posted this as a reply to a thread on the Aerodrome, and one poster quoted the great actor Michael Caine, who said that if you re-make a film, you should re-make a flop. I agree. It's difficult to live up to expectations, or to follow in the footsteps of great men.

I hope he makes a unique film too. If he visits for our Annual General Meeting, I'll drag him aside and have a quiet word.

grin.gif

There are so many stories worth the telling. The Blue Max has been done and done well. I would hope for a new story. Like I stated some months ago I would like to see a Trilogy of films. I would prefer also an unknown cast. I would love to see the parts played by native people with the real accents or language with subtitles.. The last thing I want to see is Tom (forever a punk) Cruise play a role on film for this possible project. I think you can see that I would like any such film to immerse me into the time and history. I would hope for no reality killers as so often happens in these films. The Blue Max did a fine job and needs not to be retold. I want too much, I know. I will in fact be ecstatic if Mr. Jackson should make any such film for us. Somehow I have faith in his desire to get it right. As much interest Mr. Jackson has in WWI aviation I would not be shocked to learn that he has and flies OFF. But then he does have the replica planes. He's investing in the replica planes and building enough to do this project so let's hope and if given a chance support the project if ever announced.

I wish I could visit Omaka and see for myself or better yet be involved. If you have not visited this site just feast your eyes http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/node Pardon me if I suspect a film or two. I think a wonderful film or two, maybe three would be a great way of sharing the labors of these talented people.

Edited by Rickitycrate

I posted this as a reply to a thread on the Aerodrome, and one poster quoted the great actor Michael Caine, who said that if you re-make a film, you should re-make a flop. I agree. It's difficult to live up to expectations, or to follow in the footsteps of great men.

I hope he makes a unique film too. If he visits for our Annual General Meeting, I'll drag him aside and have a quiet word.

grin.gif

Well Steve, if you do get to have a word in Peter's shell-like, tell him he's beholden by the memory of Messrs' Little, Dallas and all the rest of the antipodean airmen of The Great War to make their equivalent of the recent Canadian 'Passchendaele'. Be great to have the RNAS feature prominently... in memory of Henry Allingham too.