Sign in to follow this  
SouthPaw.

6 Bullets left? No problem!

So after my SE5a pilot was captured because his plane fell apart coming out of warp at 300 MPH (yeah... I won't get into that right here) I decided to try a German career in Jasta 2 starting in Albatros D.IIs. My first mission resulted in 11 claims. It's amazing how many planes that don't shoot back you can kill with 2 machine guns.

I nabbed 7 BE2s, 2 FE2s, and 2 DH2s (3, really, but my wingmen emptied their guns into one I had set on fire already and I didn't get to claim it).

But the last 4 BE2s were the funniest. I was almost home and had 98 rounds of ammo left. Just as I was approaching my field, there they were. 4 helpless, unarmed 2-seaters flying just to the North of me. I had to try to get at least 1 or 2 with my remaining ammo. Knowing they won't shoot back helps, as I was able to fly right along side, kick the rudder to aim for their engines, and set them ablaze with a quick burst. I did this for the first 3, then saw my ammo counter: 6 rounds, 1 plane left.

Why not? I pulled up as close as I could, aimed for the engine, and hit home with all 6. A second later a small flame emerged from the engine. Soon after the plane was engulfed in flames and my wife wanted to know what I was laughing at. :rofl:

I know - enjoy it while I can until armed 2-seaters and Nieuports start showing up. :boredom:

Not sure, what you mean - unarmed two seaters?

The FE2b has a gunner, but he can't really shoot rearwards - he is in front of the pilot.

The BE2 should have a gunner too. Have you perhaps the Workshop settings on

something like "rear gunner less accurate" or however that's called - just check.

As long as you remain under their rear fuselage, you won't get shot - until one day,

when you suddenly meet your first Bristol fighter - and hell breaks loose!

Not sure, what you mean - unarmed two seaters?

The FE2b has a gunner, but he can't really shoot rearwards - he is in front of the pilot.

The BE2 should have a gunner too. Have you perhaps the Workshop settings on

something like "rear gunner less accurate" or however that's called - just check.

As long as you remain under their rear fuselage, you won't get shot - until one day,

when you suddenly meet your first Bristol fighter - and hell breaks loose!

No BE2 has ever fired at me. The FE2b finally did on the next mission, but I only got pinged a couple times.

Then on the third mission I dove in on a flight of Sopwith Strutters, which also had previously not fired upon me, and that was the end of that pilot. 4 tailgunners simultaneously ripped me a new one.

3 missions, 25 claims, and now he's dead. Woopsie. :bye:

I'm trying to decide what to fly next. The Bristol Scout or DH2 sounds like a good challenge.

For those wondering, how he knew he only had six bullets left ?

The Printed part of the HUD ( F5 ) features the ONLY ammo counter in the game. Very useful when you spot an enemy aircraft ( other than a BE2c ) and you only have 23 bullets.

However the HUD also consists of five immersion killing gauges, which can be cycled as to function, until they vanish, one by one. Shift+Control+1/2/3/4/5

You can also Drag the Prnted Part to a non-offensive corner, but only if you grab it by it's Left Edge. Otherwise it won't budge

Yes indeed. I'm not in this for the "total" immersion, but I LOVE that OFF can cater to so many different styles of play to suit every person and every mood. :good:

Welcome aboard, Southpaw, even if you've been here 3 weeks without me noticing. New guy buys the drinks drinks.gif .

I decided to try a German career in Jasta 2 starting in Albatros D.IIs. My first mission resulted in 11 claims. It's amazing how many planes that don't shoot back you can kill with 2 machine guns.

Even when they shoot back, IMHO using 2 guns is like Inigo Montoya fencing with his right hand--"over too quickly". This is why I mostly fly for the RFC in Bloody April. It's extremely unusual then to meet Hun 2-seaters; most fights are against superior numbers of higher enemy fighters that outclass yours in many important performance areas, plus have 2 guns to your 1. So your 1 gun has to do more work than their 2, and you really have to fly for your life.

Other than this, flying Pfalzes in 1918 is also extremely challenging. I find it harder than flying a Fee in 1917, because at least the Fee can turn. The Pflaz doens't fly, it beats the air into submission like a helicopter. And like a helicopter, if you bank the Pfalz more than about 30^, it falls sideways out of the sky. It's not fast enough to outrun a SPAD XIII nor maneuverable enough to turn with an SE5, so you're on the short end no matter what you do.

I nabbed 7 BE2s, 2 FE2s, and 2 DH2s (3, really, but my wingmen emptied their guns into one I had set on fire already and I didn't get to claim it).

But the last 4 BE2s were the funniest. I was almost home and had 98 rounds of ammo left. Just as I was approaching my field, there they were. 4 helpless, unarmed 2-seaters flying just to the North of me. I had to try to get at least 1 or 2 with my remaining ammo. Knowing they won't shoot back helps, as I was able to fly right along side, kick the rudder to aim for their engines, and set them ablaze with a quick burst. I did this for the first 3, then saw my ammo counter: 6 rounds, 1 plane left.

Why not? I pulled up as close as I could, aimed for the engine, and hit home with all 6. A second later a small flame emerged from the engine. Soon after the plane was engulfed in flames and my wife wanted to know what I was laughing at. rofl.gif

I know - enjoy it while I can until armed 2-seaters and Nieuports start showing up. boredom.gif

Edited by Bullethead

I pulled up as close as I could, aimed for the engine, and hit home with all 6.

A nice bit of work. You're nothing if not persistant.