Sign in to follow this  
bad_karma_2one

3d Cockpit Pilot Model Q

Can the pilot have arms and hands on the controls (aswell as the standard legs on the rudder pedals)

It just looks silly having pilot with no arms controlling planes with the power of their minds, lol

Edited by bad_karma_2one

I must agree with this remark.

I've always enjoyed the cockpits in IL-2 and FB, but after having played with LocK-On, when I get back to Forgotten Battles, I feel as I am the Invisible Man or Casper the Ghost and it's rather disturbing, not natural, to see the floor of the cockpit simply empty!

I think Lock-On choosed the best compromise by modeling only the legs and not the arms.

Cheers,

I think Lock-On choosed the best compromise by modeling only the legs and not the arms.

Cheers,

I dunno about that. Have you seen Kirk's F-16 for FS2004? He modeled the arms and legs in there too, and it look GREAT. very smooth and realistic. but I agree with the above, it would be best to not be able to see the floor!

I dunno about that. Have you seen Kirk's F-16 for FS2004? He modeled the arms and legs in there too, and it look GREAT. very smooth and realistic. but I agree with the above, it would be best to not be able to see the floor!

I've seen that FS2004 F-16 add-on, very good indeed! It should be the standard to follow in JT, not a"must have feature" but would be nice to have.

It would be very nice to have map/note boards strapped on the legs of the pilots that could have notes from the mission builder on them.

You could have one leg with waypoint speed time alt info. taken from the mission builder.

On the other leg you could have several different pages bound to a button to scroll through with examples like;

1. Radio/VOR and other nav frequency info you need to tune (if nescessary)

2. A simplified theater map (perhaps with waypoints overlayed if possible and high enough res)

3. A short mission briefing page

4. A checklists page (takeoff, landing)

For the most part it would be pretty easy to implement, you just add a placeholder on the 3d model where you can change the texture on the map board to be a text file, or have a small utility that turns text files into whatever texture format you use. For the waypoint info page it would be slick if it automatically took the info from the Mission builder for each plane. I don't know if Jet Thunder is going to use tuning for NAV and Radio frequencies, but that would be great if it did (especially with a clickable radio panel in cockpit). A simple map would be really easy but a dynamically overlayed waypoint on a minimap would be hard to generate I imagine. The easiest of course would be the checklists.

Just a few of these features will greatly add to realism in the game. If you were to implement some of the more advanced ideas here or more that I have not thought of that would be awesome.

Well thats just some ideas I had, can't wait to see your game!

"I dunno about that. Have you seen Kirk's F-16 for FS2004? He modeled the arms and legs in there too, and it look GREAT. very smooth and realistic. but I agree with the above, it would be best to not be able to see the floor!"

I don't know Kirk's F-16, but why not try this solution if it looks good and real.

My main request is immersion and when I look now at an empty cockpit, after having played Lock-On, it doesn't work anymore, I feel it fake !

I can't really explain why, but, in Lock-On, I enjoy seeing the legs as if they were my legs, but if I imagine seing too the arms, I would say "hey, who is in my cockpit".

In fact, I do like how the legs are modeled in the Lock-On cockpits and how only the upper part of the stick is visible, so no problem for me not to see the right arm.

As a resume:

No legs: a ghost is sitting in my cockpit

Legs and arms: who's flying in my cockpit, it's not my arms?

Only legs: I'm in my cockpit

It's not really rational, I admit it, but I feel it this way ;)

Cheers,

Yeah having a limited downward view would work too (except for the throttle) unless the view is limited there to, BUT if you could see the top of the stick, then I would want there to be a visible hand, and fingers to press switches