Sign in to follow this  
hamidrabet1364

question abou the new skins of palnes

hi everybody

h have a question about the skins of fighter jets that we may download from this site

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=4

i DONT know where should i copy this downloaded file after download is complete

would u please tell me what's the name of the folder that i should cpoy the skin file in it?

thanks.

Well that can depend on what the skin is. But really you don't want or need to worry about where to put them since almost all skins for Lockon are done by the skin maker as a MODMAN / LOMAN compatable pack.

MODMAN is a real nice Utility program that makes adding and removing Lockon Mods/Skins/etc real easy - one click! It automatically "knows" where to put the files. It also keeps a copy of the old files that have been replaced so that if you decide to remove a Mod, it can restore your Lockon to how it was. 99% of folks with Lockon use MODMAN, it is usually the most downloaded file from any Lockon community site, it is that popular. It really is a "must have".

Get MODMAN here.....

http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&cid=165&lid=991&ttitle=Modman_7.1#dldetails

LOMAN is the name of the earlier version of the same utility.

Other things you need to know about MODMAN :-

1) MODMAN expects a pack to be zipped, so don't do an unzip when you download them from the InterNet.

2) Each MODMAN Mod or Skin pack contains a file with a file extension of .lma or .lma3 or something similar. This is the instruction file that tells MODMAN where the files need to go.

Here is my standard Skin info that may help you.....

Lockon has a fixed number of slots for each aircraft type, some aircraft types have more skin slots than others. In the ME (Mission Editor), in the PAYLOAD section for an aircraft you can set the skin you want. Note that you can change the skins for flyable aircraft and also for the AI aircraft. When you install a new skin with MODMAN (or manually), then that new skin will replace one of the default skins. Which default skin depends on which one the designer of the new skin chose to replace, ie which slot number he chose.

Sometimes a readme file with the skin will tell you which slot number, mostly skin designers dont bother and more usually you have to look at each skin to find your new one. When you open up a mission in the Mission Editor and select an aircraft then choose the PAYLOAD screen, you see a picture of the aircraft and you can see what weapon loadout it has, what skin it is wearing, etc. If you look lower left, you see a pulldown menu called COLOUR SCHEME. It tells you the name of the current skin, click on the pulldown and you see the whole selection and you can deduce which slot number the skin is. When you load new skins, it does not necessarily change the name shown in this pulldown menu yet it DOES change the skin. It means you have to look at each skin in turn to find the one you want. Slightly annoying but only takes a few seconds to find the one you want. I'm sure I recall occasionally that new skins I've loaded in the past did change the names in that menu or maybe I just imagined it.... When you finished changing to the skin you want, then don't forget to SAVE the mission (top left save icon).

This is the most common problem folks have with D/L'ed skins, they have successfully used MODMAN to add them into Lockon but fail in the final step to actually select the skin "in game". This explains why folks get confused when they fly a mission and the new skin doesn't appear.

Example.

The new skin replaces default skin number 3 for the A-10.

You fly the A-10 quick fly mission straight from the main page.

Unless that mission coincidentally used skin number 3, then you would see no change.

Example

The new skin replaces default skin number 3 for the A-10.

You fly an A-10 campaign you have downloaded from the Community.

Unless the missions within that campaign coincidentally used skin number 3, then you would see no change.

Example.

This time you make your own mission using the ME and choose skin number 3 in the PAYLOAD screen.

Now you can see the new skin.

Hope that makes it clear.....