Sign in to follow this  
Roger55

Started with and Escadrille Near Verdun 1916

I must be setting up the stuff wrong in Workshop. I keep getting non fatal error messages about missing skins. Are they not there? Or did I set the skins setting wrong by leaving it at generic.

I can't find anything about the Workshop settings. What read me file am I missing?

Got my first Eindecker Waldo Pepper style (without the saluteSalute.gif ). I was so frustrated shooting at him from this Bebe (under powered!no.gif A stall waiting to happen) that I kept closing and rammed him by mistake. Took off my left wing tip and his tail. "Goodbye to all that."rofl.gif

Don't the AI pilots die? Am I wasting bullets trying to hit the cockpit. Is the engine the better bet? What's the damage model?

I have no idea about that error message, but the combat in OFF can be very challenging, especially with those planes that have only one gun. But the easiest way to shoot down somebody is to hit either the engine or the pilot. After all the updates, the damage model in OFF is now excellent - the planes have many hit locations and not just one or two huge locations like was common in old simulations.

Roger, you could try the "CFS3 reset" or the "OFF reset" button, to elininate the mistake.

Not sure, if it will help. But if you use those, the pilots are all erased, and you may have to

do some settings again.

The warnings usually are informational only, and more an annoyance than anything serious. I believe the 'out of the box' OFF install has a workshop setting to turn off warnings, but that button seems to have disappeared in one of the patches (or I've gone blind). Maybe someone else can add more insight.

Yes, you can hit the pilot; gunners too I am pretty sure. Sometimes you will hear them groan/scream when hit.

Hi Roger,

The error messages just tell you that a certain ace skin is missing. In this release, we have, off the top of my head, about 1200 pilots, and only 3200 skins. As most pilots flew several a/c, you can see that we are still missing quite a few skins. But we're working on it.

Cheers,

shredward

I have no idea about that error message, but the combat in OFF can be very challenging, especially with those planes that have only one gun. But the easiest way to shoot down somebody is to hit either the engine or the pilot. After all the updates, the damage model in OFF is now excellent - the planes have many hit locations and not just one or two huge locations like was common in old simulations.

After 6 hrs I have 41% of the 1.32 patch downloaded. After about an hour the the 5600 bytes/second speed starts to drop. I could get the whole thing down in 5 hrs if the download speed would just hold.

Anyway, I must not be leading enough in the deflection shots. I sure am aiming for the pilot and engine. It's easier to learn when the tracer is every two and brighter.

About damage models I know some old ones with definite hot spots in the cockpit and engine. That's why I started out aiming at the pilot.

I wish someone had an idea about these error messages because, in my experience, such things are usually the result of an incorrect setting by the user, ME. It's usually something obvious.

Wow. I sure do type slow. All those messages before I posted mine.

Anyway there appear to be no skins for the 69 Escadrille in 1916 including it's ace and a couple of historical pilots. If that's the case this is just a nuisance. All the messages contain variations with this suffix: OFF_NieuportN_11-Esc69 1916.dds. Since they are Bebe's flying over Verdun in 1916 I can imagine that info is very hard to find. The stock skin is fine.

If these informational messages can be turned off I would like to know how because I see nothing in workshop. Remember I just got the box. So that's version 1.0.

I couldn't get a "real" Map of the area until I could buy one off of a website for a shop in the city itself

Back to down loadingdownload.gif .

Roger there are some really nice maps on the disk I'll send!

pied

My map of the Verdun area is too detailed for the settings I am using in OFF. It has every trench , "Work" (the small forts), and Fort along with roads, villiages, woods, and trails.

There used to be a Verdun Web Page in German. More information than I could ever absorb. That's where I found the link to the French office of Tourism in town who sent me to the shop's website where I purchased this map. Big Euros to have it sent.

Horne's _The Price of Glory_ is still the standard work in English. Tsk Tsk.

There are no skins for that squadron made yet... just 38656 skins to go to have them all ;)

Anyway simply turn off Manager warnings in the Workshop - or keep downloading 1.32 and then it will be off anyway :)

rofl.gif For what is worth, a deflection shot works well with the N-11 Bebe. Perhaps, its the only way that you can be effective with the limited amount of ammo. its not that hard getting the hang of fiire in front of the target keep firing till he flys through the line of fire normally its engine or pilot get hit s complete with Yells then the a/c smokes of falls out of control. The problem is getting the a/c in that position for the shot. You will find most the time the ammo is gone. bye.gif

rofl.gif For what is worth, a deflection shot works well with the N-11 Bebe. Perhaps, its the only way that you can be effective with the limited amount of ammo. its not that hard getting the hang of fiire in front of the target keep firing till he flys through the line of fire normally its engine or pilot get hit s complete with Yells then the a/c smokes of falls out of control. The problem is getting the a/c in that position for the shot. You will find most the time the ammo is gone. bye.gif

For what its worth, Ive addicted myself long ago to short burstMiniGun.gif .

And if you folks don't mind a question is that Lewis effective out to 100 yards or only 50?

I WW2 I converge my guns at 500 or 700 yards depending on what I'm shooting. Bader may have had his at 200 but the only way a slow reactor like me survives is if I can engage before the ME109 sees me. WW1 MGs are really inferior to the later products. The bullets disperse at a shorter range. It's like what, a Thompson maybe. In any case the effective range is where the bullets remain tight together.

Nungessor got started as a fighter pilot in this plane. I suppose if all I had flown was a Bleriot or an Antoinette I'd think the Nieuport 11 was a hot plane.

I flew three more missions last night I recorded my stats in a little spiral I'm keeping . 8% 9% hit to fired ratio. doh.gifHave to get better! No mission did I fire more than 100 rounds. Got hits but nothing to claim except that I got back.

The reason I ask about effective range is that I need to know If I'm getting close enough when I snap off a burst.