Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barnstorm

Overclocking may not be doing you any good....

Guest Barnstorm

Ok, first my system data:

Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512 "Alhpa Dog"

Intel Core 2Dou E4500: 2.4Ghz Dual Core, 800 FSB, 2 MB Cache,

Mother Board/Chip Set: Intel DG33BUC MATX Socket T Core 2 Quad, iG33, 1333 FSB

3 GB DDR2 RAM

700W P/S add'l front and rear case fans

Nivdia Settings:

A/S Filtering 8X

A/S GAMA ON

A/A 8X

A/A- Transparency Multisampling

Confromant Texture Clamp Hardware

Error Reporting OFF

Extension Limit OFF

Max Pre-Rendered Frams 6

Multi-Display/mixed GPU Acceleration Mulitiple display

Texture Filtering-A/S sample optimization OFF

Texture Filtering-Neg LOD Bias Allow

Texture Filtering-Trilinear Opt. ON

Threaded Optimization Auto

Triple Buffering ON

Vertical Sync Force ON

My OFF Manager (Slider settings): 4,3,3,4,4

I updated the Nvidia drivers to 190.62 and the Nvidia System Tools to 6.05 and installed the Super Patch and Mini patch "F". I had been getting the white artifact in the ground scenery even with very high (upper50's to low60's) FPS when I changed FOV using the TrakIR. This has been an issue for me for many months or even a year now. I had also been overclocking the 8800 GTS card using the supplied Nvidia performance tools. I had overclocked the card by 13% above factory settings. Not being real knowelageble in the science of overclocking, I started at 10% acroos the board and increased the values until the system failed. 13% was the highest, yet stable setting. I was getting FPS's over 60 until I enguaged in a dogfight...then they dropped like a rock into the low 20's. I went back to the factory settings on the video card, which helped dramaticaly, then made the above adjustments. Now, the FPS never drops below 40 durring dogfights and I can not make the "jaggies" appear, no matter how hard I try. If any one else is overclocking a Nvidia card and having simialr issues, reconsider if it is really achieving your desired goals.

Hope someone finds this helpful, or at least somewhat interesting.heat.gif

Just for your info--my video card clock settings:

Factory

Core Clock 650 MHz

Memory Clock 972 MHz

Shadder Clock 1625 MHz

Overclocked by 13%

Core Clock 735 MHz

Memory Clock 1098 MHZ

Shadder Clock 1836 MHZ

Edited by Barnstorm

I dont overclock at all, and have the white jagged triangles, which I'm assuming is "tearing".

It only happens on sunny days (never on a cloudy day), and only when nose up, so that turning to my six position shows the ground.

This happens at 60fps or 30 fps...doesnt matter.

I personally think this is a product of TrackIR turning too fast, but I dont know how to turn that down so as to test this theory.

Glad you fixed it tho!

realise this may not apply to everyone, but Carrick got the 190.92 drivers and was getting some pretty bad video abnormalies...(large white triangles),,,he uninstalled drivers,,ran drivesweeper,,and went back to 190.38 and all his problems went away.

Im wondering if the latest drivers for both nvidai and ati are geared to more the higher end cards, and cause problems with mid range cards...

In any case,,,if you seem to be having problems after a video upgrade,,i would roll back to the previous version and see if the problems go away.

They are always there when panning fast as it needs to render huge textures that are off screen and you are just seeing a tiny corner of the texture that needs to be rendered. It can be reduced or lessened with better performance gear or lower/other combinations of Nvidia/Ati settings, or in game slider settings for terrain /scenery. Cloudy days you see them less simply because you see "sky" through the terrain render. Blue sky=bright. Grey sky not obvious

Guest Barnstorm

Well, I decided to post my observations because of a thread I remembered from several months back, discussing the "jaggies" and the effects a v/c's clock speed(s) had on fixxing them...if any. Actually, overclocking my 8800 GTS 512 made the jaggies somewhat worse. I found the 190.38 drivers to decrease my overall video performance, including increased "jaggies", and installing 190.62 to be an improvement overall. For the sale of completeness, my display settings are as follows:

1400x4050x32 (native) @ 75hz., on a 20" flat panel LCD monitor.

Yes Barnstorm thanks for posting that. My comments were on the jaggies themselves not the problems with overclocking as such. Often the benefit of excessive O/C is overrated, as other sub systems are reduced in effectiveness or overheat etc.

1400x4050x32 (native) @ 75hz., on a 20" flat panel LCD monitor.

What's the aspect ratio there...16:46.28??? And that's native for a 20-inch monitor? Everything must look awfully tall and skinny on that setup grin.gif

Guest Barnstorm

Well, it depends on whether I have both lenses in my bifocals. Sometimes one will fall out and really mess me up. Like trying to drive home from an E.L.O. concert back in 1977. rockon.gif

1400x1050x32 if I have both lenses in my glasses frame.yikes.gif

Edited by Barnstorm

Like trying to drive home from an E.L.O. concert back in 1977.

*hehe* Those were the days, huh? For me, maybe Boston, Ted Nugent, or Van Halen..and maybe closer to 1980...but, I see yer point good.gif(Wife and I are both huge fans of ELO and, for that matter, Traveling Wilburys).