Ruggbutt

Reviewing the Logitech G940

Hey Rugg,thanks for the Heads up the other day about the new setup..after reading the review(btw.Great job)there will be a G940 under my Xmas tree..and on dec.26 there will be a used TM Cougar/hotas with ch rudders on Ebay...lol. thx and good hunt'n....5x5

Very nice looking set of sticks, shame i probably wont be able to afford them for about... 18 years... (just had our first child).

They're lagging the fight already though...

We'll see...competition is a good thing.

FC

What a stick... an ideal replacement for my MSFFB2 (working exceptionally well though) but the let down is the price. I do want one :)

During 15 years of flight simming, I've owned several sticks and HOTAS sets, and this looks like a good quality product from a manufacturer I trust for durability. I've broken the handles of 3 saitek joysticks, dislodged buttons in a cheap plastic Thrustmaster HOTAS and a MS sidewinder FF lost it's FF after 15 months. My gear takes a lot of punishment, as I'm not one of the world's smaller, gentler people no.gif

I had a Logitech wingman stick for 4 years without a single breakdown though, and only relegated it to the cupboard when I got an X36. Currently I'm using a force transducer modded Cougar and TM Elite rudders, which would benefit from new throttle and rudder pots, a mod that will cost over a hundred pounds for a long-in-the-tooth HOTAS that's starting to look shabby.

For the past 5 years I've had an X45 as a stand-by HOTAS but recently donated it to a friend who just got into simming. So I have a need for a spare HOTAS again and the X52 just doesn't float my boat - too bright and shiny, as well as programmer issues previously mentioned. I was looking at a CH set-up but as this new Logitech set will come in at around 200 pounds, I think I'll be adding it to the wishlist instead.

A quite super review. Thanks a bundle. Learnt a lot, especially the new translation for "slick" is also known as "sick". Can't quite see the connection but hey, you learn something new every day!

My G940 came in the mail two days ago. It the best yet. I have used Saitek X-45, X-52 and X-52 Pro, As well as MS Sidewinder and a Thrustmaster HOTAS FFB combo and this is the best yet. Although not listed in reviews the force feedback function works with the Strikefighter/WOV/WOE series, a major bonus for me. I particularlly like the way the FFB immediatelly starts shuddering when you yank too hard on the stick. I had inserted a stiffenenr into my X-52 Pro to improve response but this stick does that for me. My overly aggressive and unrealistic yank and bank doesn't work here. Gentle but firm control obtains the best results. I work for the Air Force I have occasionally had access to an F-16 and an A-10 flight simulator and the G940 really approximates the feel of those simulators.

Just wish I could get dual throttle control in IL-2 1946. There is only one axis available for power. If someone figures that one out I would love to know about it but I doubt its possible. I still have yet to try in on LOMAC and MS Flight Sims; CFS-3 and FS2004. I know I will get dual throttle control there.

Oh, I really would've thought Il-2 modeled that. I never even looked.

As a replacement for an aging CH Products lineup for me, this flight system has been exactly what I have been looking for.

Although there are some teething pains with conflicting axes during intial setup, once you get it all straightened out inside the GUI program (Logitech GamePanel) or inside the the individual flight simulator menus, the force feedback in flight is very effective.

I normally fly a lot of older prop aeroplanes, such as the Sopwith Camel and Fokker DVII, and recently did a comparison of flight modesl used in Over Flanders Fields. The I-Force FFB is accurate is producing the looping gyroscopic effort that occurs inside the rotary Clerget engine of the Sopwith. I am able to do snap rolls and high yo-yos fairly easily using the the G940. The extra tension under high power stalls is impressive, as I can sense the moment of loss of airflow over the wings, the shudder, and deadstick control. If you have extremely large hands, this system could potentially give hand cramps, but for me, the grip was about right. The joystick does have a smaller handprint than a Thrustmaster HOTA Cougar.

NOTE: This is not the first FFB joystick that I have ever owned, and there are professional joysticks you can "acquire" for several thousand dollars, but money value for a complete system, that works well, and is asthetically pleasing to boot is worth the hard earned cash.

Recommended for beginning flight jockeys, and veterans alike.

Joysticks are all a mater of preference and when I bought my hotas setup a year ago, I thoroughly researched the available options (I was coming from console gaming and had no clue). Ultimately I bought all of the high end CH products; Fighterstick, throttle, & pedals.

Over the last year I have been playing IL2, LOMAC and now my current addiction OFF, but I have to honestly say I never really liked the CH sticks. But what choice did I have? Yea, they are unbelievably precise, but they just feel like toys to me.

So, I got birds of prey on the 360 and the ace edge, which is a dumbed down X52 and you know what, I really really enjoyed playing with that stick over my CH gear, yea it was not as precise but they felt so much better for me so I decided to put my CH gear on ebay for sale.

My intentions were to sell the CH gear and just use my ace edge, but you know what, the ace edge does not work so well on the pc, so then I was thinkin of just gettin the x52 setup because its similar.

And then I did the unthinkable. I pulled the trigger on the G940 and it BLOWS away the CH gear, maybe this will hurt my current listings on ebay for selling my CH gear, but who cares....I gotta tell you if you are in the market for a brand new comprehensive HOTAS setup then RUN, do not walk and get the G940. It is amazing and ten times more accurate than the dated CH technology. My God, once you get the sticks properly configured with the force feedback your flight sims come alive in a whole new way.

So there you have it, if you still want CH gear then buy my used stuff which is currently up for auction on ebay, they are in excellent condition and will never be touched again.

Just wish I could get dual throttle control in IL-2 1946. There is only one axis available for power. If someone figures that one out I would love to know about it but I doubt its possible. I still have yet to try in on LOMAC and MS Flight Sims; CFS-3 and FS2004. I know I will get dual throttle control there.

http://forums.ubi.co...55/m/2921049526 this.gif

Edited by nixarass

From what I have seen and heard there are some major problems using it with FSX but it does work (I think)

Edited by Wellsprop

the G940 and it BLOWS away the CH gear

While I liked the G940 quite a bit it doesn't surpass my CH gear. I'm still using CH as a matter of fact. I think once the drivers for the G940 mature that I'll probably like it a bit more. I won't expect to be able to do scripting like I'm used to with my CH gear. For instance, if my airbrake is deployed and I go full throttle with the CH kit my airbrake closes. My brakes act more like hydraulic brakes do, the farther you push them down the quicker you stop. All of that is done by scripting. Logitech software can't do that.

Edited by Ruggbutt

While I liked the G940 quite a bit it doesn't surpass my CH gear. I'm still using CH as a matter of fact. I think once the drivers for the G940 mature that I'll probably like it a bit more. I won't expect to be able to do scripting like I'm used to with my CH gear. For instance, if my airbrake is deployed and I go full throttle with the CH kit my airbrake closes. My brakes act more like hydraulic brakes do, the farther you push them down the quicker you stop. All of that is done by scripting. Logitech software can't do that.

To each their own, it all comes down to personal taste. I don't script, I just set my button functions and that is it so scripting is useless to me.

However, my CH fighterstick does not recoil when I am pumping slugs into the enemy, it does not give me the death rattle warning me of an impending stall when I am dogfighting Neiuports 50ft over no mans land, it does not fight me back when I am performing a physically demanding maneuver with a spitfire. To me the logitech just adds to the immersion, plus I like the throttle and pedals a thousand times better. Whats good for me is not good for you and vice versa, both are excellent HOTAS compared to what we had to work with ten years ago!

Well, 10 years ago I was quite happy with my FLCS/TQS/RCS setup! Sadly, I'm still using those same RCS today...

Quoting Revvin from the CH Hangar

I've spoken to Debby today as there has been a large amount of interest in the announcement I posted recently. I can confirm that an A-10C HOTAS is on their roadmap for a consumer release but there is no date set as yet. With a project as big as this - a completely new one-for-one, military-style HOTAS and a ground control station for the Reaper system - the design, the development time and tooling costs are very high and this is why it is not being introduced as a consumer product first. Remember CH Products still does all this in-house in the US and does not outsource to sub-contractors half way around the world. There are no plans as yet for a consumer version of the Reaper system as apart from support by Abacus there is no real demand from software for it.

I'll try and bring you more details as and when I can but suffice to say any new HOTAS from CH Products will not only have the same unrivalled build quality and support it will have also have support from the industry leading Control Manager software.

What can I say? Schwing!@!!!!

Flying the Su-25T is no laughing matter! I think it starts to fall apart at 300kts.

The new saitek stick is looking good.

Looks more serious than it's predecessors.

Anyone reviewing this?

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x65f.htm

Personally, I think it's a bad idea (a non-moving stick). There's a reason real aircraft use sticks that move, even if only a little.

FC