Sign in to follow this  
Firecage

Just Ordered BH&H

Ok I have it ordered and from what Im reading Im guessing a week ot two to get here. I have CFS3 installed and just wondering what I need to do (if anything) to be ready for some intense flight time when it arrives?

I am heading to the Hawks and Doves site since I want some online time as well.

Any ideas are welcome....

Firecage :drinks: for all...

Edited by Firecage

Well, I suggest you organize your life so that you're ready to spend countless hours flying (and dying!) in OFF. There's no going back when the OFF bug bites you... :grin:

While waiting for the sim to arrive, you could read through all the many hints and tips available from here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php/topic/44940-off-general-help-topics/

You'll probably need to patch cfs3 to 3.1

Check your disc to see what version it is

Patch is available on-line, just google it

And welcone to OFF Firecage!

You're gonna love it good.gif

Edited by Duce Lewis

Welcome, Firecage

You are on the map already - now you can't step back anymore, pilot!

If you have family, spend as much time with them as any possible - they may not

see you much no more, once OFF has arrived.

You should read the "Tips & Tricks" sticky above, and the FAQs on the website

www.overflandersfields.com

Oh, and if you are wearing glasses - clean them. You may see the real specs in the sky better. :shok:

...and just wondering what I need to do (if anything) to be ready for some intense flight time when it arrives?

1. As soon as possible, get TrackIR 5.0 so you can look around.

2. Get a comfortable chair. You'll be spending a lot of time in it.

3. Send e-mails to all family members saying you'll be away for a while.

4. Buy a new bookshelf to house all the things you'll want to know.

5. Cease playing any WWII sims, (and jets!). The skills that make you hot in a Spitfire will kill you dead in 1916.

6. Set up a place within arm's reach for bottled water and crackers.

....the list goes on. and on.

And if it seems OFF is slow in arriving, remember that it's more than a collection of airplanes; it's the entire four years of WWI. (really!) And that tends to slow the mailman down a bit.

Indeed, UncleAl! But much nicer than "mad cow disease" (although - for others sometimes similar). :yikes::lol:

A friend of mine looked me in the eyes ernestly, and said, he had just seen a report

about computer game addiction among young people.

I replied: Well, no danger for me then.

Well one thing I think may be useful is while digging through old WWI sim games I have had in the past .... I ran across Flying Corps GOld and waalaa.... Detailed maps from the front that were included in that game. :yikes:

I am IMpatiently waiting to see if these maps are accurate enough to fly by in this game.

Thank you all for the links and info .... been playing WWI sims for a long time so the wife is used to it and she is just glad im not out running around after some skirt or worse. :cool:

See you all in the air soon. :salute::salute::salute:

Firecage-

Welcome to the "drome"...I believe I still have somewhere Flying Corp maps..they were very good as I recall.

If you have been flying WW1 sims before then you must have been an RBer..OFF is WAY WAY more immersive and difficult IMHO..enjoy! ;>)

Royce

You have an ingame map, showing your route and your craft, so you'll see if you are on the right course.

But we must also have printable maps - search the stickies.

Welcome Firecage :bye: - now name seems familiar - :idea: was it enhancements for First Eagles or maybe Full Canvas Jacket ??

There was a Cage who had a seminally important webpage back in the days when we were beginning to mod RB all those years ago....

shredward

Firecage drinks.gif for all...

Welcome aboard! And especially welcome for knowing to buy us a round. I'll buy you one back for that drinks.gif .

Welcome Firecage :bye: - now name seems familiar - :idea: was it enhancements for First Eagles or maybe Full Canvas Jacket ??

It would the the enhancements for First Eagles. I have done skins, terrains and some Enviroment mods. I want to try out a different WWI sim for some things Im not getting from FE.

Firecage,

That was mostly good information from the usual suspects that bother to reply to rookies that come here, but here's another productive thing you can do to prepare yourself...

http://www.overfland...m/Downloads.htm

Visit that link and download the Super Patch V1.32 and the Mini Patch V1.32f. Have both of those ready to install after you've installed OFF:BHaH.

Just a piece of information, you don't need to have M$ CFS3 installed on your computer to run OFF. You just need to supply some files that are upgraded to version 3.1.

Insert OFF when you get it (sooner than you think...mine arrived in Australia in 6 days only!). Autorun will start launching the install wizard, the program will ask you how you wish to provide the required CFS3 files. If it is installed on your hard drive, you inform the wizard that is how you wish to provide the files. If it is not installed, you can choose to inform the wizard that you wish to provide files by inserting the CD/DVD for CFS3. If your version of M$ CFS3 is not upgraded to 3.1 version, the wizard will inform you that you need to install CFS3 and upgrade it to 3.1 standard.

Once all loaded up, install the Super Patch and the Mini Patch, and you'll be airborne in no time. clapping.gif

Like a lot of posters suggested, read through all the "stickies" on this page plus the "General Help" page as well. Download and print a copy of Homeboy's Key Command Guide.

If you have a programmable joystick, you can search around for user profiles for that device.

If you have any money left, buy TrackIR 5. Invaluable, and definitely the most useful tool for aerial combat. If you still have money left, buy a set of rudder pedals.

If you still have money left, you have to buy drinks at the bar.drinks.gif

Edited by Check Six