Sign in to follow this  
whiteknight06604

well it started again

well after much anguish with the wife I,at the young age of 39 have returned to semi-pro football.

we had our first game against the Jersey Cynder.

it was tough the first half with the score at halftime being 7-0 us.after a reaming from coach we went on to win 34-0.

100_0678.jpg

Wow....39....good for you.

When a bunch of us turned 40, we decided to have a get together, and play a game of touch. Now, when we were in our teens, touch meant playing on a paved lot, and imvolved tackling, diving for passes, etc. It wasn't unuusal to emerge from such a game, bleeding, arms and legs sporting parking lot rash, etc.... But when you're 15-16-17, that was no big deal. You went out and did it again after supper, or the next day.

Well, long story short, everyone was hurting after that 40+ game, despite playing on a "soft" lawn. I thought I was in good shape, and I had to call in sick the next day...lol. What sucked was discovering that my throwing arm was history. I threw it out within a few long passes.

Growing old sucks.... :no:

Wow....39....good for you.

When a bunch of us turned 40, we decided to have a get together, and play a game of touch. Now, when we were in our teens, touch meant playing on a paved lot, and imvolved tackling, diving for passes, etc. It wasn't unuusal to emerge from such a game, bleeding, arms and legs sporting parking lot rash, etc.... But when you're 15-16-17, that was no big deal. You went out and did it again after supper, or the next day.

Well, long story short, everyone was hurting after that 40+ game, despite playing on a "soft" lawn. I thought I was in good shape, and I had to call in sick the next day...lol. What sucked was discovering that my throwing arm was history. I threw it out within a few long passes.

Growing old sucks.... :no:

"Growing old sucks.... "

That is so freakin true.I wish I understood how presious youth was when I was young.

on the plus side it's so much fun playing games with the youngerguys heads on the field...they are so easy to manipulate into making mistakes and losing their cool.

Yes, in youth vs experience youth will often lose. :grin:

What sucks is once you get the experience you've lost the youth. :sad:

Good to see you playing again!

didnt your knee like explode not that long ago? good luck with that...playing football is like riding a motorcycle, its not if you will get hurt, but when.

cheers

Well... I'm the same age as you... I used to play as a D-Back, was fast as lightning, great hands, and tossed my 140 lbs frame at on-coming trucks (running backs) without out regard for my own life...

Now... I'm sore all over, from what, I don't know... I've not only lost a step, but lost many... but the burst is still there... and my 195 lb won't get out of it's own way, let alone anyone elses.

Yes, it sucks getting old, but I enjoy hearing some of us still retain their youth. Good luck to you man!! Kick a$$!

OvS

Man.. but I would LOVE to play again!!! I did it when I turned 35.... against a bunch of 20 somethings.... and it felt great!!!

didnt your knee like explode not that long ago? good luck with that...playing football is like riding a motorcycle, its not if you will get hurt, but when.

cheers

Sparko,

Whenever the weather changes, my left ankle and my right shoulder remind me of the indiscretions and poor judgment of youth....thirty five years later....lol. I injured my ankle the fourth or fifth week of varsity football, and that ended my "career", for good. :grin:

cheers

1314759613_l.jpg

hehehe thats a good way of putting it.yeah I torm my ACL and MCL the last game of the 2006 season.I played the following year after declining surgery.It sounds like I have a bowl of rice crispies popping in my knee when I walk but I have no feeling so pain isn't really an issue.i took last season off more to enjoy life than to recover but fond I was miserable so I figured one more try at another championship ring is in order( I have 2 already)

Funny you should mention knee surgeries, I am going in for my 3rd on the same knee in about 12 hours.

Funny you should mention knee surgeries, I am going in for my 3rd on the same knee in about 12 hours.

best of luck to you.