Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Su-27 crashed at Radom Airshow, Poland

Not much details available yet, one Su-27 crashed during aerobatics at Radom Airshow, Poland. 2 pilots onboard, their whereabouts yet unknown (?)

Su-27 from Belarus

here's the extended info and photo after the crash, site in polish

My link

Edited by Stary

Both pilots from Belarussian Airforce died in the crash, the Airshow spokesman said.

RIP

:salute:

Plane creashed in populated area, hope no victims on the ground.

I was there as well. From what i saw the pilot wanted to close the loop on very low altitude, and for some reason stalled the aircraft. Maybe he had some engine trouble in final seconds, but im not expert, and it all happened in a blur... I did not see crash itself - just a plane disapperating behind the woodline, then after few seconds a cloud of thick black smoke. The sound of explosion wasnt heard on airshow grounds, so the whole tragedy happened in complete silence.

TV relation from the crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laN2nbT8FM8&e&fmt=18

Also, AFAIK, It wasnt ordinary Su-27UB - It was supposed to be one of two belarussian modified Su-27UBM, a local modification. And one of the pilots flying it was second-in-chief of belarussian air force.

Also, our media say that pilots did not eject, because they did not want for the plane to crash in populated area. While this might be a feel-good speculation, but if its true, then those guys saved many lives by sacrificing their own.

And of course the airshow was cancelled. Before the crash we saw Red Arrows and finland's Midnight Hawks. After Su-27 There was suppopsed to be a mock dogfight between pair of polish airforce new F-16s and a pair of not-so-new Mig-29s.

Anyway, R.I.P.

[']

Im still kind of shocked, this whole thing seemed unreal.

I saw it personally too....

In my opinion it might be an engine failure.

In first moment after that crush I thought that it was pilot's mistake but now I'm sure that it was engine failure.Men who live in home very near to crash site and he saw that crush from small distance said that engines haven't worked and he haven't heard any sound to the moment of crush.I heard too conversation of firefighter and doctor after crush and they told that Su-27 crushed into forest with low speed very near to populated area (100m.from nearest home), and there wasn't any explosion just fire.They told too that body of first crew member was in so good state that medical service tried to resuscitate him.I don't know how many thruth is in last information but...They were very experienced pilots, and it's very possible that when they knew that they will crush into homes they decided to not eject and start trying to go away from buildings and lead out plane from stall.It was very heroic.They can be a heroes.

Link to photos linked by Signum on polish forum

:salute: R.I.P :salute:

Edited by az12121

Absolute tragedy! - really sad to see another go down

Belarusian Su-27 crashed on air show in Radom's airfield. Two experienced pilots died, didn't use catapult.

Edited by Fates
Merged Topics

I forgot Belarus had Flankers. I just watched Defiance about the Jewish resistance in Belarus last weekend, too.

Quite strange and moving to see this bird and the pilots take off. knowing what is to come...

Probably next air show's in poland can be remove into other city... maybe Mielec.

Salute.gif R.I.PSalute.gif

Edited by Signum

Having seen a crew lost during an airshow, I know it's hard to see. Hopefully no one on the ground was injured.

Having seen a crew lost during an airshow, I know it's hard to see. Hopefully no one on the ground was injured.

Nobody on the ground was injured. According to our media, they reported engine trouble in last moments of flight, ground control advised them to eject but they refused - this would support the theory that they died because they wanted to save people on ground.

I found a relation from eye-witness of the crash. He is a pilot, and seems to know what is he talking about:

I was on Airshow and I saw this crash - but from other perspective, I was on place of catastrophe as well, an i've heard direct relations from people there. I'm a pilot with few decades of experience myself.

Su-27 finished right side barrel roll,and started to dive, at the moment it seemed that they are going to end the manevouer with half loop low over the ground. When it started to dive it was facing S-W. After few seconds of flight in this direction, pilot started to pull up to level the plane, but it seems that engines had no thrust that should accompany this manevouer (engine trouble?), and plane was stalling - going down fast.

At this moment, pilots correct their course, turning south, to avoid falling on houses of Janowo village. Now, flying low with stalled plane, they pass abut 150m from crossroads at Malęczyn, flying just over rooftop of houses there and straight into buildings crossing their flight patch.

Over one of bigger residences in the area [where there was a big party going on at the moment (after baptism ceremony of their child) ], pilots execute a sharp left turn. Plane is now flying at 90 degree roll, it changes its heading for about 25 degree, hits ground with its wing, flips over and explodes.

Thuis manevouer saves the buildings, but costs the pilots their chance to eject - at the moment of the crash, plane's canopy was not facing up.

From my friends at airport tower, i found that pilots reported lack of thrust, and were ordered to eject. They havent ejected at first because they were concerned about people on the ground, and after they ensured their safety, they were no longer able to bail out.

God rest their sould. I think that they were heroes, and citizens of Maleczyn should build monument to honour their sacrifice that saved their families and neighbours.

I wrote this in response to babbling of TV pseudoexperts, who while knowing nothing about the subject ranted about it in our tv, and in response to morons makind retarded comments on web forums.

Translation was done to the best of my, rather poor, abilities - im not sure about some of the technical terms, but i hope the relation is clear enough to understand.

Edited by MacGalin