Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

O.T. Still flying RB3D?

You can also look here:

http://www.wingsofhonour.com/

The XP fix is there and many of the sites are still active. be sure and get reload.exe so you can use TIR.

FCJ is not commercially available anymore. I've got many of the files on dvd backup.

plug_nickel

almccoyjr:

That is still not the site where I found this version of RB3D. So far all the free versions of RB3D that I have found are over 200MB, but the version that I downloaded is only 183MB and the XP fixes are already included, you just need to add the Glide converter of your choice. With this version, I did not even have to worry about the "turbo" planes from a faster CPU that when the game was first designed.

The only thing I had to add to this version was the Glide converter and Reload to get TIR to work. I just wish I could find that website again. :dntknw:

I've got RB3D loaded into a ten year old HP with a Voodoo SLI setup (thanks OvS) and my 3 year old loves it! I still play it some to show him how things are done.

I can just picture the scene CJ...as you yank the young fella off his chair, with shouts of "Give it to me!.. GIVE it to ME!!" as you both wrestle for the joystick!!

(at least thats what my Son and I do!!) :drinks:

almccoyjr:

That is still not the site where I found this version of RB3D. So far all the free versions of RB3D that I have found are over 200MB, but the version that I downloaded is only 183MB and the XP fixes are already included, you just need to add the Glide converter of your choice. With this version, I did not even have to worry about the "turbo" planes from a faster CPU that when the game was first designed.

The only thing I had to add to this version was the Glide converter and Reload to get TIR to work. I just wish I could find that website again. :dntknw:

That is a find indeed. The only other, I think, install that has RB3D + 1078 + XP fix is Gumps V2., but it's only 151mb.

plug_nickel

Full Canvas Jacket was installed on my Vista X64 gaming warhorse after all these years.

Its a bit tempermental to get going because of changes in video cards, but runs like a rocket.

The atmosphere and career is still superior to OFF, for now.

The damage modeling for RB3D is still quite a bit better than OFF in high speed maneuvers, but the scenery looks really rought even with a glide emulator.

Changing gears to Rise of Flight, if this game only had an offline mode and a better campaign, I would proabably be playing only that game.

Unfotunately, that will never be the case. So, it sits on the sidelines.....

Now if OFF can get modeling the Pfalz DXII, Sopwith Snipe, and Nieuport 28, along with that pilot dossier docket, I would be in nirvana.

Patience......

Viva la OFF!

The_Black_Knight

That is a find indeed. The only other, I think, install that has RB3D + 1078 + XP fix is Gumps V2., but it's only 151mb.

plug_nickel

Rather than re-install RBII, patch it to RB3D, add FCJ, and spend an hour fine-tuning it for XP, I simply unpacked Gump's v2a ( http://www.rb3d.net/...GumpsBONUS.html), and added Zeckensack's glide wrapper (http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/) and was able to install HASP on top of it. A very easy install. DgVoodoo worked fine with RB3D, but was corrupting the display in Longbow 2 (I still play this regularly...I never grow tired of blowing stuff up from 8 miles away). Also, I use winThrottle to slow down my system...works better than turbo.exe for me http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle

I found RB3D to be really handy for learning how to use TrackIR. When I first got TrackIR for BHaH I found it a little disorienting since there was so much going in. RB3D's low end graphics made it much easier to get used to, but I discovered what I'd been missing all those years. No wonder I got my butt flamed so much years ago!! Makes me wonder why I want to fly BHaH, where I get killed every 4th or 5th mission, if I'm lucky. grin.gif

Edited by BirdDogICT

RBII was my first sim, which I picked up in 1998 when I happened to be passing a toy store in downtown George Street and noticed it in the window.

It opened up a whole new world to me. Up until then I had read just about everything on The Great War aviation I could get my hands on. But to be able to fly the actual aeroplanes, see the aircraft in glorious colour waltzing around the sky in deadly ernest was fantastic. It really did create another level of appreaction of that era. Over time RBII morphed into RB3D, then WFP (my favourite). Online flying with the boys from RAC opened up sharing with like-minded folk. Since that day in 1998 my sim collection has grown to include EAW, MiG Alley, BOB and BOBII, B-17 The Mighty Eighth, all the Il-2 sims, CFS1,2 and 3 and FSX.

There have been many attempts to replace RB3D, the only one that has done so though is Over Flanders Field. And that's probably because most of the guys associated with it cut their teeth on Red Baron. They have incorporated into the features of OFF (along with their own many other outstanding features) those that made RB (and it's UOP's) outstanding: range of aircraft, immersive campaign, historical accuracy, aces and fabulous skins. And yes, most of my WWI stick time is spent in OFF.

But I'll never forget where WWI aviation came to magical life for me. And that's why, at least once a month, I fire up the old girl and take to the skies. :good:

I still fly the Fighter Squadron WW1 mod...but Im weird! :yikes:

I still fly 9 variations of RB3D under XP using dgvoodoo 1.5 and reload that allows TIR mouse emulation.

Shoot, I fly Flying Corp Gold as well, and under De-fend Reloaded, RB and Wings of Glory.

The older sims are like watching a really good classic bw movie.

plug_nickel

The first sim I ever flew was Wings of Glory. I have been trying to run it under Dosbox, but can't seem to get my USB joystick to work at all. Dos and USB don't seem to match up. I have an old 'games port' joystick but the SoundBlaster card to power it is not PCI so can't be used in my modern pc. I did like the 'autoland' system in WOG. Maybe getting used to that is why I keep crashing on landing in OFF :grin:

I still fly the Fighter Squadron WW1 mod...but Im weird! :yikes:

Not weird: a "hopeless" diehard maybe. FS WWI is also fun to fly.

The first sim I ever flew was Wings of Glory. I have been trying to run it under Dosbox, but can't seem to get my USB joystick to work at all. Dos and USB don't seem to match up. I have an old 'games port' joystick but the SoundBlaster card to power it is not PCI so can't be used in my modern pc. I did like the 'autoland' system in WOG. Maybe getting used to that is why I keep crashing on landing in OFF :grin:

I also had USB problems with different Dosbox builds. I finally went to De-fend Reloaded; it was just easier for me. WG was a bear to install in DOS days and that hasn't changed running under an emulator. You'll have to write several files to the WG config in order to eliminate running from the CD. Do a search on Dosbox forum and you'll find some very good entries that explain and show how to.

plug_nickel

Great story Capt! Is FCJ still available? If so, where?

Cameljockey,

Two options:

1. PM me with your adress, and I can send you a FCJ CD

2. PM me an email address and I'll send you an ISO file (229,568 KB)

Edited by BirdDogICT

Cameljockey,

2. PM me an email address and I'll send you an ISO file (229,568 KB)

Excellent idea. In for a penny, in for a pound. For those who want to go back into yester-year, I have the following:

FCJ (BirdDogICT has that one covered),Baron Von Benz, Flander's Field, HASP(Hell's Angels), ROJ, ROJ3, Wester Front, CM11 and 13 + updated patch, RB143 patch, Reload and the last updated sound file I could find.

Many of the above are still active on the web. If you want to try but can't seem to find, let me know. I have them on a dvd, but I'll make an ISO to compress. Some of these mods are up to ten files.

plug-nickel

Just as a matter of interest, and because I'm nosey, how many active MP servers are there left for RB3D players, and how many active squadrons?

Any ideas?

Do a search on the RB webring http://www.webring.c...?ring=redbaron2 or go to Coldwar for online gaming!!!!

For RB3d starters: go to the Simhq RBforum read the sticky's

Nice RB3d resources at:

http://vonoben.free.fr/

http://www.wings-of-valor.net/

http://www.wingsofho...m/index.en.html

Remark: do not forget the ROTJ path from Baron from Helton he is still "active"  

I'm still playing RB on a regular bases using a old gameport Pentium4/Win98se/Voodoo3/MS-FF js/ and a big CRT screen!!!!    Still love this game.

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Dutch_P47M

Thank you, I looked all over for this link because it is the Wings of Valor site that has the patch and XP already included: http://www.wings-of-valor.net/ for those who want to play it again with their XP OS. :good: