Sign in to follow this  
Southside Bucky

Can't upload a mod to the FE Downloads section.

I've been trying to upload a zip file to the First Eagles 'Sounds' section, but when I press the 'Add Submission' button, the page refreshes to; 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'.

I had the same problem with a different file a few days ago, but after umpteen attempts it eventually went through.

No go this time though.

Anyone else having this problem?

Regards.

Bucky

It depends on your browser and it's security settings how it handles pages that have a long wait time.

Here's what happens:

1. You click submit.

2. Your browser starts the submit process expecting a reply.

3. Because you're uploading a file which could take 10 minutes or 30 minutes depending on size and your connection speed the reply doesn't come right away.

4. Your browser not getting the reply thinks the connection dropped and gives you the connection error page.

The important part is what's happening between step 3 and 4. If the browser is designed correctly it will understand that the submit process is still happening and the fact that no page is displaying is not an error at all but design.

FireFox handles this well. Internet Explorer tries to do things their own way. That's all I can really say on the matter.

Try using a different browser like FireFox and your problems will go away.

Hi Erik.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just tried it again, first with Firefox, then with Google Chrome...Same result.

Incidentally, the file I'm trying to upload is a mere 951KB.

Kinda weird, eh?

BTW, I'd Just like to say while I've got the chance here; Thank you for this utterly fantastic website...Far 'n away the best sim site on the planet.

All the best.

Bucky

Edited by Southside Bucky

Well then if it's not browser related it's connectivity related.

Have you pinged the site to see if you're having "timeout" network congestion issues?

That would do the same thing as you described above. Basically the connection between the site and you is somewhere falling off.

Let me know what you come up with.

Dunno how to do that pinging stuff, Erik, but I've posted on the FE forum about seven or eight times today, and downloaded at least three mods without any problems.

My connections with this site (and any others) seem perfectly normal except for the upload page.

Maybe I'll just try again tomorrow, shall I?

Thanks again for your time 'n trouble.

Bucky

Open a command window.

START > RUN > Type "CMD" (without quotes) > Press [ENTER]

A black command window will appear.

your_documents_path >

TYPE at the command prompt.

ping combatace.com -n 50

When the report finishes you can right click on the top file bar and select Edit > Mark to highlight the text in the window. Press [ENTER] to copy what you've highlighted to your clipboard. You can then use [CTRL]+V or paste to paste the information in a reply.

That's it.

Yeah normal browsing and posting replies isn't nearly as critical at maintaining a good connection as uploading or download files where information is passed back and forth confirming receipt of packets between computers.

Let me know.

Hey, I learned how to ping! :dance:

Okay, here's the results:

Ping statistics for 216.104.36.210:

Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost 0 (0% loss).

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 130 ms, Maximum = 135ms, Average = 130ms

Dunno what all that means, but I reckon a 0% loss must be good?

Yup that's good.

I'm not sure why you'd be timing out on the upload unless it's a file type we don't accept.

Try again tomorrow and let me know. I'm curious now.

Success!

I tried three times using IE...No go. I tried three times with Firefox...Same. It went through first time using Google Chrome.

Thanks again for your help.

Bucky

I have exactly the same Error Page, using IE, Firefox or Chrome...Good ping, 5Mo to upload, not so big... Strange, uh ? yikes.gifMaybe the server?.. Who knows? An idea ? I'll try tomorrow. I keep you in touch.

Bye Salute.gif

See my post above in the #2 position.

My Post

That error happens when your browser thinks the connection is idle or has died. There's an update in the pipeline that will move all uploads into a flash applet which will prevent this but as of today it's not yet available.

E