Sign in to follow this  
cochise

FAC operation in WOV?

Am I missing something here? I have never actually seen a FAC mark targets with smoke rockets. Is this normal? Is there a way of actually flying FAC missions and calling in airstrikes? Is this supported in SF2: Vietnam? Sorry if this is already posted, I have tried to use the search function with no luck.

Never worked since day 1 in any of the series. Although, he's a nice target to draw AAA away from YOU

wrench

kevin stein

Awww schucks! I just finished reading "A hundred feet over hell" and was in the mood for some FAC missions. Even in SF2: V?

The Birdog now longer exists in SF2. He got retired. Although, there's an EXCEPTIONAL one by Diego that's payware and VERY much worth the investment.

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for the compliment, Kevin.

TK has stated that the O-1 will return. No time, no date and no idea on the capacity. There use to be lots of unused sound files specifically for the FAC that hinted at what TK possibly wanted the FAC to do. It sucks that he's gone but you can make single missions where the FAC marks targets for you.

blink.gif No! How did they retire the FAC/bird dog from Vietnam? Hmmmm so I guess there's no way to get ai to mark targets with smoke rockets? I have toyed with the idea of making the bird dog a CAS aircraft and just editing the loadout for CAS with smoke rockets and then adding a flight of "real" CAS aircraft. Do you think this would work?

Not retired, more like left out in the SF2/V release. Like I said, the FAC type will work in single missions but you won't be seeing him in any random game created missions. As far as I know, to get the FAC to mark targets can only be done via single user created missions.

I have been eyeing your O-1 birdog, very nice! So to create missions like that you mean with an editor or with the generic single player missions in the stock game?

Flying around low, in a glorified Cessna, within the range of every slingshot-wielding Gomer on the ground, either takes a pair of brass ones, or a strong deathwish.

Edited by Fubar512

I have been eyeing your O-1 birdog, very nice! So to create missions like that you mean with an editor or with the generic single player missions in the stock game?

It can certainly be done for single missions - in fact it has, many times over in the VMFA-531 Mission Packs (available for download here in the User Missions section).

Here are some screenies...

img00005Medium.jpg

img00016Medium.jpg

img00017Medium.jpg

img00018Medium.jpg

Or fly a Misty mission, if you're interested in something faster...

img00045Medium.jpg

img00050Medium.jpg

img00053Medium.jpg

img00055Medium.jpg

Etc etc...

Regards, comrpnt.

Thanks comrpnt, nice screenies. I do have the series but I must admit I'm having a little difficulty with getting everything to work dntknw.gif , will post in the correct section.

Thanks comrpnt, nice screenies. I do have the series but I must admit I'm having a little difficulty with getting everything to work dntknw.gif , will post in the correct section.

It's worth making a note that the entire series is about to be concluded with the release of the final installation. For that release I will be revising all of the previous sets to work with the post-October 2008 patch, compatible weapons pack and fewer pre-reqs. Then I plan to port them all into SF2V. So you may want to wait for either of those releases in the next few months.

VMFA-531MissionPackGoldBanner.jpg

Cheers, regards, comrpnt.

Thanks, I figured that's why I was having trouble with the install seeing as my WOV version is the latest patched. I'll be eagerly awaiting the re-release.Salute.gif