Sign in to follow this  
Vicshere

Disk Just came in!

Beautiful presentation of the disk itself (much better than what I got several year of go with RBFCJ), but I have a question.  My disk says Version 1.0 on the label, is this the most up to date version?  Thought this was up to Phase 3?

Welcome to the OFF skies Vicshere. Yes, you should have the latest version, but you will want to download the latest update for it. Have fun Sir, and ask if you need any help, plenty of folks here to lend a hand.

Cheers!

Lou

Hello Vicsthere,

Beautiful presentation of the disk itself (much better than what I got several year of go with RBFCJ), but I have a question. My disk says Version 1.0 on the label, is this the most up to date version? Thought this was up to Phase 3?

Yes, but you have to still apply the superpatch, and the last small patch that came recently - get 'em here:

http://www.overfland...m/Downloads.htm

You need to download and install the 1.32 superpatch, and the v1.32f minipatch. I guess since Phase 3 was the first commercial product they labelled it just Version "1.0", so the free phase 1 and 2 were early builds with version numbers 0.1 and 0.2 ;-)

edit: oops and welcome ! (sorry ..)

Good luck and greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels

Vicshere,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Over Flanders Fields. First of all, we should get you airborne, see how you like her.

http://www.overflandersfields/

Get to the downloads page on that website. There you will see "Super Patch Ver 1.32 Download". Download that, then further down the page you will see "Mini Patch Ver 1.32f". Download that. Both of these upgrades have an installation wizard, so it's all very easy.

Once you have those two patches, you're ready to go for a quick flight around the aerodrome. Enlist a pilot, choose fighter or bomber, select "pilot never dies" in "quick combat" and take whatever aircraft you like up for a spin in "free flight" mode.

After that, you can see if your graphics card handled the heavy demands of OFF, and you can go to the "workshop" page, and begin to select the difficulty you wish to start out at. Selecting or deselecting whether you wish a realistic flight model, or an easier one to start out with. (Don't be embarrassed about selecting a total beginner package...most here did exactly that before gradually progressing to a full DiD (Dead is Dead) standard, although some have flown OFF since the very beginning, Phase 1, and so selected the total realism of DiD, no TAC Radar, no labels, realistic flight model, hard damage model, and all the rest.

Mess around with the selections there until you've got an easy flight model to start with, and have a few flights in "Quick Combat" mode. Once you're reasonably happy with the graphics settings etc, and can fly a rudimentary circuit or two, try a campaign if you wish.

If at any time, you have any questions, no matter how stupid you think they might be (remember, we ALL were learners at one stage - and the guys here are really helpful)...please, just ask.

Blue Skies.

Welcome Vicshere!

I hope you have a long list of pilot's names prepared. You're going to need 'em. There are thousands of ways to die on the Western Front in WWI, unfortunately, most of them have to do with aircraft. Good luck and welcome to the OFF Community!

Cameljockey aka CJ

Oooohhhh man, I'm so envy of you!!! Great news indeed, I'm still waiting for my copy, hopefully some time next week. I really can't wait to get to the skies over Flanders. Take care and blue skies mate,

itifonhom

Welcome aboard! New guy buys the drinks drinks.gif .

We've been getting a lot of new recruits lately so quarters are somewhat cramped. In fact, until somebody gets killed and frees up a bunk, you'll have to share a hangar with Blue.

Thanks all!  Too busy looking at the clock, waiting for the day to end.  BUT THEN: I have to drive about 2 hours away to get a new crib at Babies R'Us with my two oldest children (Friday's are usually game night at my house so gonna use the trip to "count as"), then hit Sams Club for necessities then finally heading home.  The entire time waiting to install OFF lol.

Vicshere, welcome at the front!

Please send me a PM with your hometown and country,

so I can add you to our OFF Pilots Map.

Thanks!

Welcome to the war, Vicshere. Strap yourself in and kiss your spare time goodbye. You have no idea what a ride you're in for!

CW

Welcome Vicshere. It's Between Heaven and Hell v.1.0 (BH&H *is* Phase 3).

So install that, then the patches as the guys say above.

Ran into wierdness when I installed the disk. I had the OFF disk in the drive, did the install, pointed to my MSCFS3 directory (with Firewpower installed) and continued install. Towards the end, it kept looking for CDBurnerXP Pro3? Hit cancel a few times then finish. Inserted my original MSCFS3 disk in the drive, started it up. It would ask for this CDBurnerXP Pro3 thing 3 times, then load OFF. When it options, it would ask again three times and continue. Tried a quick flight, it said it couldnt find the terrain objects dir.

So I shut down the sim, and am now downloading the super/mini patches. Will install these and hope that it fixes the CDBurnerXP Pro3 error.

I am running an original MSCFS3 disk, installation patched to 1.08 with Firepower installed, and am using a multi-processor startup. Thats about it.

Hopefully patches will fix my prob?

Edited by Vicshere

I think the Firepower may be a problem, that's new to me and it is not nesaccarry for OFF BH&H AFIK.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Well, I keep getting a pop up saying to update to 3.1, but when I try, it halts on a file and wont continue. Am uninstalling the whole package (CFS3 and FP and OFF) and starting from square one (fresh install). Wish me luck!

Hey for your fresh install follow the instructions on the back of the dvd case.

You got the dummist guy in the bunch here trying to help you. Unistall and then put the OFF disc in first. It will tell you to put in the CFS3 disc and take only the files needed.

NUTZ! Now my CFS3 install kinda looks like crud. The graphics are hoping all over the place. What gives?

Sorry to say, I'm not good with these things. I know a better head will come along shortly with good advice. Patience please.

OK, so I went through the patching process, looks like I need a multi core patch for CFS3. The only one I could find asks for a $10 donation every time you load it. Anyone know of a patch that doesnt?

Ok, fresh install, it is STILL asking for CDBurnerXP Pro 3.msi, what gives?

It runs OFF Manager which then calls the above?

Edited by Vicshere

Vicshere, as Rickitycrate mentioned you don't need to install CFS3 at all. You only need to have disc one ready when the OFF installer asks for it, at which point you pop it in your CD drive and OFF will grab the two or three files it needs from it and that's it. After that you only need CFS3 disc one to launch the game. However, as uncleal points out, your CFS3 disc set needs to be the 3.1 version otherwise installing OFF as I just described will not work and you will have to download the 3.1 patch and then install CFS3 first. If your disc set has a 2007 date or newer on the package it should be 3.1.

Cheers!

Lou

It is LEGIT. It is dated 2002. I had to upgrade it via the patch to 3.1 which I did. It is an original MS Games Studios disk.

CFS3 loads and plays fine, but OFF gives me this weird message of wanting CDBurnerXP Pro 3.msi in source 1. So, out of desperation, I placed disk 1 in the drive (if I recall correctly, disk 2 is used to play CFS3), but with the same results.

If you could all follow me to the help section of the forum, I just placed a post there for help. Thanks all ahead of time.

Edited by Vicshere

Well, that got me thinking Louvert, so I ripped out CDBurnerXP. That got me further along in the program. Then I got the CFS3 config out of date message,so went to the hangar and changed my graphics settings. This time I made it to the flight line, but got the stutter effect that I used to get in CFS3. So I searched and found a program that allows multi-core processors to run older programs like CFS3. No stutter effect, smooth run, but I hate having to load a third party program 1st in order to run this game.

SoI finally got this girl up in the air, but by then I spent 3 hours trying to fix it and had to put my 2 oldest girls to bed (it was nearing 11PM - my wife would kill me if she knew), but I was able to score at least one kil in a Spad 13 against an albatross (talk about not a fair fight) until I got too tired. At 39, Im becoming an old man LOL.