Sign in to follow this  
guyran

Damage calculation into AI and FM.

I have noticed for sometimes now, that a significant damage to enemy airplane's stabilizers or engine damage has very little effect on the damaged aircraft maneuverability or speed.

Is it true with SF1 series?

Stabalizer damage i've found to be a bit weird seeing as the effect from a hit seemingly isn't modeled.

Engine hits can cause something. A few times i've damaged a Mig bad enough to have it smoking heavily and though it didn't seem to be harmed, it crashed later on and i was credited with the kill.

Is there any difference in damage model behavior between SF1 and SF2 series?

Can't tell you, i only have the first series.

I've noticed something really interesting in SF2X. I was attempting to chase two MiG-17s off my wingman's tail. I fired an AIM-9B at the lead MiG, and he turned into it, as did his wingman, who was in trail. The sidewinder missed the lead MiG, and detonated in his wake. His wingman flew into the blast, and suffered damage (a fuel leak). The MiG's wingman immediately broke off, and headed for home.

Well I tell you,

I really loved to be accredited with this MiG-Kill, as to me it seems pretty unlikely he could find his way back home without falling from the sky, after an AIM-9G hit and 3 Rounds of my Crusader's Mk12 20mm in the tail... somehow kind of unrealistic, I feel... :blink: (flown with WoV)

So it seems like the damage model in the SF2 series could be a bit better than before. May be a reason to finally buy the new game...

Another funny story about the damage model...

I was flying a TARCAP over Libya with a flight of F-106A. After a successful fight with 4 Frescos, I was scanning the sky for other bandit. Suddenly I saw a huge, straight smoke trail.

Locked on, and you can immagine my surprise as I saw THIS cripple heading home!

I fired my last AIM-4G at 2mls range (which obviously didn't hit anything... :grin: ) but as the MiG started to manouever to dodge the missile, he realised he couldn't go on and gave up.

Actually after the mission I went to the LOG file and saw that to the point of my encounter with the Fresco, he was already quoted as "shot down" from my wingman :blink:

So after all I'm truly not complaining about the damage model, just enjoying the different blossoms this game can create. :good:

Danilo

Edited by DaniloE31