Sign in to follow this  
Duce Lewis

I'm Off for awhile

Going away on a church retreat this weekend

Up to the clean air in the Catskills (well cleaner air)

Get away from all the distractions and forge a closer relationship with the Lord

See y'all on Tuesday! bye.gif

You pray for us sinners, and we'll drink to your good health drinks.gif .

Have a good trip.

Edited by Bullethead

Up to the clean air in the Catskills (well cleaner air)

Get away from all the distractions and forge a closer relationship with the Lord

See y'all on Tuesday! bye.gif

Good for you, Duce, also remember the reason for Labor Day on Monday.

i wish you a good time there. you'll come back a happier man :good:

Have fun! The war will still be going on and the fighting will still be as fierce in 1918 when you return. :cool:

Just googled the Catskills - beautiful mountain area!

So let your lungs catch a deep breath of clean air, and your soul a deep breath of peace.

Can only do you good, pilot.

I'm back guys!

Just crashed yesterday as we were quite busy all weekend

The Lord indeed did spark new resolve in me but more importantly, in the Youth Group I work with

To see their eyes light up with understanding and honestly open up in group discussion was heartwarming

Thanks all for your good wishes

Mutual support works wonders

Peace all,

Ahhh... I envy you that!.... Cities are fun, but it's sooooo nice to get away to the wonders of Nature!..glad you all had a fulfilling time!

Good on you Duce. Yet another treasure awaits you in the sweet by-and-by Sir.

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks Wid / Lou.

Quiet and solitude has it's merits

Good for reflection and recommitment

Cheers,

Thanks Wid / Lou.

Quiet and solitude has it's merits

Good for reflection and recommitment

Cheers,

Oh Yes.

I just love to sit next to a Babbling Brook, or watch a river slowly meander into the distance, on a warm, sunny day...with Bumble Bees buzzing, casting a bait with a plop, into a deep pool...and waiting for the tap on the rod tip.

If you are quiet (as all Fisherman should be) you get to see some wonderful sights!..Kingfishers, Deer, Foxes.... all things you never see as you hurry around in the hussle bussle of modern Life!....... It's moments like that, you can really appreciate what a wonderful planet this is!...... If only people would just leave it alone!!

...with Bumble Bees buzzing

Ah, you've been to our little mountain top in the Catskills

They were everywhere!

Even a nest right above our main doorway

Nobody got stung AFAIK ...but there were a few dancing folks about frantics.gif

Li'l buggers have been having a tough time ...worldwide I think

Hope they make a comeback

The Lord indeed did spark new resolve in me but more importantly, in the Youth Group I work with

To see their eyes light up with understanding and honestly open up in group discussion was heartwarming

Sorry to sound a bum note here, but whilst i do not have any problem with chaps telling us they are going off for a good time somewhere, ( and best of luck to them ) I do have an objection when the occasion is an excuse to promote their religious beliefs.

IMHO, this is not a forum for that sort of thing.

Fortiesboy, I'm not sure how a comment such as, "the Lord did indeed spark new resolve in me, but more importantly in the Youth Group I work with..." can be construed as promoting a religious belief, apart from noting that one believes in a higher power. And I have to say, if we can now no longer even admit that belief out in the open, then we've all gotten way too thin-skinned about religion and spirituality in general. The U.S. and other countries were built on the concepts of freedom, religious freedom being on the list, (heck, even our money here in the States says "In God We Trust" on it). Don't misunderstand, I am not saying this forum should be a platform for the discussion of religious beliefs, that is not it's intent. But I think we start flirting around the edges of a dangerous extreme when we start calling folks out on even the most innocuous comments, simply because they indicate they believe in a power greater than themselves. The majority of mankind over the last several thousand years has indicated such a belief, and it is that very same belief that has motivated and inspired mankind to do some of its greatest collective and singular works. And yes, unfortunately some of its most horrific.

I think we would do well to keep in mind the closing lines of Eric Idle's "Galaxy Song" :

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,

How amazingly unlikely is your birth,

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,

'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

But of course this is only my opinion. God forgive me if I've offended anyone with it.

biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Lou

But of course this is only my opinion. God forgive me if I've offended anyone with it.

Amen. And I'm a deist--I can't remember the last time I said "amen" and really meant it grin.gif .

I really hate to get into this, because no matter what I say, somebody will find it disrepectful, but here goes anyway. Audentes Fortuna iuvat! Apolgies in advance....

At the bottom line, religion is a matter of personal taste. Some folks are more comfortable with 1 thing, others another. Some folks are very passionate about it, some are completely uninterested. As such, and again not trying to disrespect anybody's beliefs, you could class religion in with hobbies. Some folks have hobbies they're passionate about but for some hobbies (say flintknapping, atlatl throwing, and beekeeping, to name a few of my non-OFF habits), most folks couldn't care less.

If I started a discussion about flintknapping, for example, maybe a score of folks here would find it of passing interest and 1 or 2 might want to take up the discussion with a fellow enthusiast. But nobody would find it "offensive". At worst, I'd be told it was off-topic to this forum and to take it somewhere else. And even that probably wouldn't happen here if I put an "OT" in the subject of my 1st post.

So why is it that when somebody brings up their religion, somebody elese has to jump up and say he finds it "offensive"? After all, apart from jihadis and other whackjobs who want to kill everybody else, one person's religious beliefs have no effect on another's, unless they WANT to be affected. If you don't want to be affected, what harm does it do you if somebody else brings it up? Just tune it out the same as you would an OT discussion of a hobby that doesn't appeal to you.

Besides, us deists could be wrong, in which case it's nice to know there are believers in more interactive deities praying for us sinners cool.gif

If Duce Lewis saying: 'Going away on a church retreat this weekend' draws the ojection: 'I do have an objection when the occasion is an excuse to promote their religious beliefs' from Fortiesboy, doesn't it mean that Fortiesboy is using the occassion to promote (and - what's more - to state) his own religious beliefs.

Sorry, I just don't get it - but I might be biased.

Wallaroo

Another forgiven sinner

Sorry to sound a bum note here, but whilst i do not have any problem with chaps telling us they are going off for a good time somewhere, ( and best of luck to them ) I do have an objection when the occasion is an excuse to promote their religious beliefs.

IMHO, this is not a forum for that sort of thing.

Hi Fortiesboy,

Sorry if I offended you in any way

Not gonna deny that I'm religious or afraid to speak about it

Many times people here have shared a bit of their personal lives

Personally I enjoy that, think it's breaks down a little of this electronic wall between us

As I was leaving for a while, I thought I'd open up a little too

I agree this isn't the forum for religeous discussion or debate

That's why I kept it quite light

But I don't think I should have to hide it completely either

Peace,

Duce I agree, we should not have to hide our religious beliefs or affiliations, despite the attention it may draw when we openly show them. I myself am a Minnesota Norwegian Lutheran, and my people have been persecuted since first setting foot on the midwestern prairies. Scorned and ridiculed due to our love not only of God, but of lutefisk, lefsa and rumagrout as well. Laughed at, because we hold our 'S's far too long in our speech, making such hymns as "The Solid Rock" sound as if they're being sung by a choir of snakes on Sunday morning. Pointed to as dangerous examples of piety and stubbornness when we utter such remarks as: "Ya, you can yust bet I'm tanking God right 'bout now dat I landed in dat big rossse bush ven I fell off da housse yesterday shingling, and you'll never convince me dat He didn't yust give me a little shove in dat direction so I landed in it too. Course, da juniper vas right next to it and it vould have been a sssofter landing vit no thornss, but He knowsss vat He'ss doing so I figure it vass meant as a lesssson to me, ya you bet."

Having faith is never easy.

biggrin.gif

While I stand somewhere to the left of Bullethead's Deism, it's not like Duce_Lewis was stridently proselytizing to save our worthless souls. (however much they may need it.)

Look, I'm with Voltaire when it comes to opinions- and some of the folks who i have had most respect for in my life have been strong believers. One in particular, who death really upset me.

I am also interested in philosophical discussions, from time to time, about God or no God etc etc.

But this is not the place to promote one's beliefs in such matters. Duce could have said he was going away for a week end break, camping or whatever, - but no - he had to make two posts about how it was all to do with his promotion of his religion-

" To see their eyes light up with understanding....... " etc, is NOT pushing Evangelical Christian religion in a place it shouldn't be ?

Damn sure it is, and IMHO Duce knew it was.

This is a WW1 sim forum - where there is no reason for such comments to be made.

Nor does it worry me that I am alone in my opinion- though it saddens me a little.

If it's the wrong forum to mention religion (which I am sure many needed in WW1) then it's also the wrong place to carry on a long discussion about the rights and wrongs of posting it?

So I think this one has run it's course, and just to keep us all nice and friendly I'll close it...

Cheers