Hello, all.

I'm looking for an NF-5B for download, or even just an F-5B.

I'm pretty sure I saw one a while back, and I have been looking all over this place.

I just can'e seem to locate one.

HELP, PLEEEEZ!

SidDogg

Hey mate!

The F-5B in the SF2V expansion pack works like a charm in SFP1/WOx!

Cheers!

...expansion pack???

...you mean that SF2V Air War/Ground War upgrade that that one dude released?

Alright, I got the F-5B.

Now, I have an even MORE important question.

...how do I get rid of the permanent wing tanks/wingtip tanks?

I'm tryna make it full operational. :ok:

SidDogg

Simple...don't load them in the loadout screen. Pick sidewinders, or nothing.

FC

Edited by FastCargo

Hey mate!

The F-5B in the SF2V expansion pack works like a charm in SFP1/WOx!

Cheers!

If you're really looking for the NF-5B, how about the Canadian CF-5B that is available? In real life at least that one comes closer to the NF-5B (more powerfull engines), and the somewhat different flap setting (manoeuvering flaps) can be taken from the NF-5A. Matter of some very simple ini. editing.

Hou doe,

Derk

Simple...don't load them in the loadout screen. Pick sidewinders, or nothing.

FC

No, not that!!! :no:

I mean, even when my loadout is empty, the airplane shows wingtip and drop tanks...

If you're really looking for the NF-5B, how about the Canadian CF-5B that is available? In real life at least that one comes closer to the NF-5B (more powerfull engines), and the somewhat different flap setting (manoeuvering flaps) can be taken from the NF-5A. Matter of some very simple ini. editing.

Hou doe,

Derk

...uhh...

just where can i find this... CF-5B??? :dntknw:

..... and it comes with a great lot of info.

Correction to my first answer: the CF5-B / CF116-D did NOT have the manoeuvering flaps,

Hou doe,

Derk blink.gif

No, not that!!! :no:

I mean, even when my loadout is empty, the airplane shows wingtip and drop tanks...

There is a reason this may be occuring.

Are you using this aircraft in a Generation 1 install?

FC

PS Derk is correct in that the NF-5B is based off the CF-116D. The USERLIST.ini also reflects this.

Edited by FastCargo

Got it to work 100% in first gen SF, just fiddle around, add the tanks in the weapons section properly and it is very good to go!

Muesli

I think a NF-5B mod is easy to make.

Just some ini edits and adding the flare / chaff dispensers.

Some skins can be made by me. i have got some Temps from FC.

there are some really nice paintshemes around for the NF-5B

0905662.jpg

1566829.jpg

Great, would be very nice !! Maybe a few things from the NF-5A might be usefull, as the NF-5B does differ from the CF-116D: litlle edit in the flap setting, so that they can be used as manoeuvering flaps and the internal fuel should be 1782 kg instead of 2200- (which is the amount in liters). The last goes for all the A & B models of the F-5. Does make a difference in the FM for such a lightweight. And Ravenclaw has all the squadron badges and other details available.for the NF's. AFAIK the NF-5B never used wingtip Sidewinders.

TuAF is still using the NF-5 (also in the Turkish Stars team !)

Hou doe,

Derk grin.gif

Edited by Derk

Hmmm...could have sworn I had put the fuel in KG in the data.ini.

FC

Hmmm...could have sworn I had put the fuel in KG in the data.ini.

FC

You sure did, any weight in the data.ini is in kg.

But: int. fuel F-5E/F = 677 USgall. =2559 liter= 2073 kg

int.fuel (N)F-5A/B/CF-116 = 583 USgall. =2203 liter= 1786 kg

Tiptanks = 2 x 50 USgall. = 2 x 189 liter = 2 x 153 kg.

This makes a total of 2093 kg for the (N)F-5A/B with tiptanks and it depends how you fly it.

The tip tanks cannot be jettisoned as the (N)F-5A/B needs either the tank or the missile launcher on the wingtip against flutter. In the SF2 CF-116 the tiptank seems to be an integral part so probably the 2093 kg is ok.

In the NF-5A the tank is optional, so I think 1786 kg is correct. Fuel is JP8.

According to Canadian Profile Canadair CF-5 by Bob McIntyre, the tip tanks give taxi and take off + 2 to 3 minutes flight.

Apart from that they have an aerodynamic effect (less drag, no wingtip vortices) and - like in the F104 they act as endplates on the wing giving a marginally better turning performance. The NF-5B never had wingtip missiles as it was never used - like the NF-5A - as an interim fighter on QRA duty during the transition from the F-104G tot the F-16A of the first two KLu interceptor squadrons at Leeuwarden airbase.

Other info is from Joe Baughers website and from a Dutch book on the NF-5 by C.J. van Gent.

This whole thing is explicitely NOT meant as whining or rivet counting, but please, please, please consider it as an attempt to contribute to an even better airplane.

Hou doe,

Derkgood.gif

Edited by Derk

Well, in the CF-116D, the tip tanks are optional for loading, but with the correct amount of fuel in each of them. I think I just used the wrong number in the internal capacity of the fuselage tank. I'll take a look at all the Northrop 2 seaters and release a hotfix if necessary. Actually, I'll probably just update the uploads.

FC

Well, in the CF-116D, the tip tanks are optional for loading, but with the correct amount of fuel in each of them. I think I just used the wrong number in the internal capacity of the fuselage tank. I'll take a look at all the Northrop 2 seaters and release a hotfix if necessary. Actually, I'll probably just update the uploads.

FC

Simple, yes

Hou doe,

Derkbye.gif

All T-38s/F-5B/CF-116D downloads updated with proper fuel tank numbers. Includes redoing all inis and lst files to all capital letters and Unicode (or ANSI for the Gen 1 T-38).

FC

There is a reason this may be occuring.

Are you using this aircraft in a Generation 1 install?

FC

PS Derk is correct in that the NF-5B is based off the CF-116D. The USERLIST.ini also reflects this.

I happen to use it in a gen 1 install, and I have the tanks all the time so im guessing since this is a gen 2 plane its just something endemic to the sim you use then right? Great plane BTW

Well, considering that in the readme and in the download page it says very specifically that it's for Generation 2 (SF2/V/E/I) sims only...yea, I'd say that's correct.

Now, in the Strike Fighters 2 Knowledge Base, there is a specific article dedicated to getting Generation 2 aircraft to work in a Generation 1 install properly.

The Knowledge Base is your friend. Do not (virtually) die in ignorance.

FC

Edited by FastCargo