Sign in to follow this  
A6Intruder

How to get Iron crosses on my Dr1?

On most of "my" Dr1 i have "bar-crosses" but i would like to have iron crosses.

Would please anyone tell me which ini how to tweak?

Thanks in forward.

Best regards :bye:

The crosses are detirmened by the date. IIRC, the crossover is about March-April 1918. Before then, Iron Crosses, after then "bar crosses" as you call them. The fast way to check is start German single missions once a month starting from January to May, 1918 and see when it changes.

The crosses are detirmened by the date. IIRC, the crossover is about March-April 1918. Before then, Iron Crosses, after then "bar crosses" as you call them. The fast way to check is start German single missions once a month starting from January to May, 1918 and see when it changes.

Hi Panama Red,

let me show you some picture to point my "problem" out:

That is what i would like to have until change in 1918 Iron crosses (german Eiserne Kreuze):

img00003n.jpg

That is what i now have untill change in 1918 wide Bar crosses (german Balkenkreuze):

earlybar.jpg

That is it after change in 1918, small bar crosses

latebar.jpg

My question: How or what to tweak to change Early bars into Iron Crosses, which look much better on Dr1`s ,as shown on many paintings. :good:

Best regards

Edited by A6Intruder

The WW1.exe follows the historical German insignia changes, go here and you will see the changes and the dates they change: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft-articles/23234-national-markings.html?garpg=4

The Germans use the old fashion "Iron Cross" through Feb 1918, they use the large "Balkankreuz" Mar-Jun, 1918 and the thin "Balkankreuz" Jul-Nov, 1918. TK took some liberties and did not add all the German insignia variations to the game, but kept the big three insignia changes.

If i understand you right there should be 3 insignia variations. Right? And in Feb 1918 i should see "my" Iron crosses.

I could not find any Iron crosses in Feb 1918. Did i do something wrong or could there be a mod who effected this?

Best regards and thanks for helping! :drinks:

The only way you can "override" the game engine insignia's is if:

1. The insignias are painted on the skins

2. You have the decal.ini refer to an insignia located within a folder other than the default game folder

Sounds like you need to check the individual plane skin folders and see what the individual plane's decal.ini refer to if your German planes are not changing crosses at the appropriate times.

Go here and read up on decals: http://forum.combatace.com/thirdwire-woewoiwovsf-knowledge-base-f99.html since all ThirdWire (Generation 1) use the same formats.

Edited by Panama Red

The only way you can "override" the game engine insignia's is if:

1. The insignias are painted on the skins

2. You have the decal.ini refer to an insignia located within a folder other than the default game folder

Sounds like you need to check the individual plane skin folders and see what the individual plane's decal.ini refer to if your German planes are not changing crosses at the appropriate times.

Hi Panama Red,

do you have a "three times switching decal ini" for Dr1`s. If so i could change the exsisting ones with yours and the problem should be solved "a little bit". If someone have, i would like most a "two times switching decal ini" First iron cross and late small bar crosses.

Or maybe someone else could do (i think maybe abourt quack74, because i saw iron crosses on his last release). I am very interested to hear from other people if they have equal problems, because i did only use the skins from download section.

Thanks in forward.

Best regards

The switching of the German insignias over time is controled by the game WW1.exe, not decal.ini's.

The decal.ini is located inside of the individual skin folders and it will only refer to one set of insignias. If you over ride the default insignias, you will see those particular insignias you specify on that plane when ever it appears, no matter what month and year.

[info below is likely in the tutorial or KB forum]

It seems like perhaps the easiest solution is to just edit Nations.ini and change the dates.

Look for

[Nation004] // may be something other than 004 if you've edited your file significantly

Name=GERMANY

then find

ActiveDate=06/30/1918

That determines when the newest (thin) cross is used. At the end of the file, there are some extra nations defined, also with dates. Germany_Temp is the middle-period one, and Germany_Old is the flanged one. So just change the dates to be as desired, i.e. set _temp's to, like, 10/1/1918 and Germany's one to 11/1/1918, or something. Or just push them both out past 11/11.

(If you haven't extracted it yet, it's in Flight\MissionData.cat and gets put in the Flight folder)

Note that the nation numbers (i.e. Nation004, 19, and 20 for stock INI) control which Insignia decal is used. So you can just replace (or add, if they're not extracted) Insignia019 and 020 with whatever you want, rather than editing dates (they go in Objects\Decals).

Other duplicated nations (used really only for name changes) are also listed at the bottom of Nations.ini; note that if you don't want duplicate decals, use the alias file to map, for example, Insignia022 to Insignia001, so both nations (USAAS and US Sig Corps AS) use the same decal file.

Also, with the German decals, it bears noting that, stock (and this is IIRC) Insignia0xx is the one on a white field, and Fuse0xx is the one without the white field. So if you want both types on your skin, you can mix n match. (Tail, while redundant for Germany, is used for finflashes, so please use that for the tail cross even on German planes...)

Edited by NathanKell

[info below is likely in the tutorial or KB forum]

It seems like perhaps the easiest solution is to just edit Nations.ini and change the dates.

Look for

[Nation004] // may be something other than 004 if you've edited your file significantly

Name=GERMANY

then find

ActiveDate=06/30/1918

That determines when the newest (thin) cross is used. At the end of the file, there are some extra nations defined, also with dates. Germany_Temp is the middle-period one, and Germany_Old is the flanged one. So just change the dates to be as desired, i.e. set _temp's to, like, 10/1/1918 and Germany's one to 11/1/1918, or something. Or just push them both out past 11/11.

(If you haven't extracted it yet, it's in Flight\MissionData.cat and gets put in the Flight folder)

Note that the nation numbers (i.e. Nation004, 19, and 20 for stock INI) control which Insignia decal is used. So you can just replace (or add, if they're not extracted) Insignia019 and 020 with whatever you want, rather than editing dates (they go in Objects\Decals).

Other duplicated nations (used really only for name changes) are also listed at the bottom of Nations.ini; note that if you don't want duplicate decals, use the alias file to map, for example, Insignia022 to Insignia001, so both nations (USAAS and US Sig Corps AS) use the same decal file.

Also, with the German decals, it bears noting that, stock (and this is IIRC) Insignia0xx is the one on a white field, and Fuse0xx is the one without the white field. So if you want both types on your skin, you can mix n match. (Tail, while redundant for Germany, is used for finflashes, so please use that for the tail cross even on German planes...)

Thanks for pointing this out. I will give it a try.

Best regards :drinks:

NathanKell:

Thanks, did not realize where the WW1.exe was getting it's information on the cross changes.good.gif Learn something new everyday.ok.gif