Sign in to follow this  
mojojojo

New airplane ideas for OFF?

Hi:

This is directed primarily to the OFF developers:

1. For the U.S. contingent, any plans to add the Nieuport 28 as a flyable aircraft? Though not considered to be one of the better fighters of WWI, it has some historical significance as the U.S.A.S. operated them in some numbers early in the U.S. deployment (approx. 300 aircraft in 4 squadrons between Mar.-Jul. 1918). This would add a sense of "completeness" to the U.S. OB.

2. For the German contingent, any plans to add the Hansa Brandenburg W.12 and/or W.29 as flyable aircraft? That might be a bit of an issue as they were used primarily in the naval environment (against aircraft such as Felixstowe/Curtiss flying boats). Don't know if the CFS3 environment is capable of supporting seaplane ops very well (if at all) so it might not be feasible. Interesting aircraft though...

Still an OFF newbie, but enjoying it. I've noticed steady improvement as the patches have evolved...:cool:

Welcome! :drinks:

As far as I know, the N.28 is already under development and will be released in the future in some add-on pack.

AFAIK seaplanes are supported by the CFS3 engine, and do work (example being ETO 1.2 addon)

Yes, I'd vote for N.28 too!

Guys, we have so many craft here already - just fly them. The other craft will surely come sooner or later,

New Nupes are in development, also the Fokker E.V / DVIII

The dev team love their baby, I'm sure, and so they will carry on making it "the whole experience" of WW1

air combat. Just be patient and fly your missions.

More is coming from our outstanding deveolpement team. N28 for sure as well as others and all will be flyable. Many new guys wonder about this topic so I understand your question. As with most questions of this type the devs can not give any promises to what planes or especially when. We have had polls in this forum, searches should show results if you care to look. Our team have their hands full with OFF addons and even the next version, P4, and then thier is reall life. So patience is good to practice. Us oldtimers know we will be rewarded. The devs, team OBD, are not only outstanding they are very generous. They've seen our wishlists and have thier own too I imagine. The planes that look to be definate are:

Fokker EV pics have been posted

Niueport 24 pics have been posted

and a whole long list of Spad XIII's with historic skins

As an example of the work and generousity of OBD, the Superpatch came out of the blue with no warning or hype. For many it seemed to be the next phase or P4 it had so many upgrades. Cost? No charge. They wanted to share it with us. Additional planes we be payware, if that's the correct term, and will be offered at a fair price. But it must be remembered that for many of the planes we want to see the missions also need to be written. The damage model, flight model and historic skins for numerous aces and squads make for a large undertaking and much time. I believe this post to be correct and I hope it is helpful. Know that OBD are aware of any gaps and needs regarding aircraft.

Hi:

This is directed primarily to the OFF developers:

1. For the U.S. contingent, any plans to add the Nieuport 28 as a flyable aircraft? Though not considered to be one of the better fighters of WWI, it has some historical significance as the U.S.A.S. operated them in some numbers early in the U.S. deployment (approx. 300 aircraft in 4 squadrons between Mar.-Jul. 1918). This would add a sense of "completeness" to the U.S. OB.

2. For the German contingent, any plans to add the Hansa Brandenburg W.12 and/or W.29 as flyable aircraft? That might be a bit of an issue as they were used primarily in the naval environment (against aircraft such as Felixstowe/Curtiss flying boats). Don't know if the CFS3 environment is capable of supporting seaplane ops very well (if at all) so it might not be feasible. Interesting aircraft though...

Still an OFF newbie, but enjoying it. I've noticed steady improvement as the patches have evolved...cool.gif

1. Yes

2. No.

When we consider adding a plane, it's based on historical value, adding depth to the campaign, allowing for a fair balance... and of course how much it will contribute to the immersion.

Other than some shoreline bombing and ship attacks, the HB would not be a high enough priority to build, especially against a Pfalz D.XII, Sopwith Snipe... Alb 2-seater, Dorand, Cauldron.. etc.. etc.. etc...

Believe me, if we could, they'd all be in there, but we can't. One model at a time. Thankfully, we will have a full compliment of Noops, and the E.V to play with.

I haven't started my lobbying efforts yet.. but I am going to beg either WM or Polovski for that long awaited Pfalz D.XII or Fokker D.VI.... hint... hint... ;)

Or even... the Halberstad CLII!!!!

If not, I'd love to see more early war crates like the Voison, Aviatik... etc.. OK... here we go again!! yikes.gif

OvS

• Like 1

Been playing around with the -m3dview, and it allows you to see the wireframe of the planes...

I can only fathom how long it must take to build one of these things......i"ve been just starting my game,,,having my fun, and althogh i knew this game took work to develope,,dont think i ever realised just how much work..

heres a n17 cockpit...

gallery_45808_317_82617.jpg

and here is the plane,,,(lost alot of detail when i zoomed out)

gallery_45808_317_28110.jpg

Wow, great pics, Sitting Duck - makes me take off my officer's cap and perform a deep bow to the modellers.

I had not thought in the least, it was THAT MUCH detailed to build!

We had a working Torpedo dropping Sea Plane in Phase 1 and 2, the SHORT. However it was only QC, as there were no targets yet developed

As far the need for an assortment of aircraft, think quality rather than quantity. For we have but two modellers, and making aircraft is a part time Gig

Food still needs to be put on the table, take that into consideration when listing the gotta haves

Good point uncleal...

The N28 will be completed simply to help the American campaign, instead of using the SPAD XIII for fill. It's an important plane that needed to be a part of the list. Although the French did not like it, the USAS had success with it against the lesser quality Jastas in the southern sections. It will be great to see that one in the air. :)

The remaining Noops all come from the same N17 mold, the N24 is slightly different, but the N27 is basically the same, with an N24 rudder. We needed them for the same reason as the N28... instead of seeing the N17 lasting so long as a filler, we'll now have the correct planes doing as they should where they should.

The twister was the E.V. The most mysterious plane of them all. I lobbied against putting it in as I felt with the limited time the guys had to model planes, it was better spent on a 2-seater, or another German plane. But Pol had already nearly finished the model some time ago, and wanted it in. It's good that he did as it really is nice to see flying as I test it. It's a fun plane to fly, and very well modeld, probably aside from the Bristfit, the best model Pol has done yet.

So yes, time is important, and we really keep a close eye on what we choose for the game. We hope to have many more planes in the sky down the road, but one-step at a time as it goes.

All the best,

OvS

It's cool to see what may be coming, but it doesn't diminish the fun I'm having at the moment. :yikes:

-Ben

Exactly, Ben! I have not yet tried all the fighters in the sim - and then there are the two-seats!

Wow, great pics, Sitting Duck - makes me take off my officer's cap and perform a deep bow to the modellers.

I had not thought in the least, it was THAT MUCH detailed to build!

Like I said on another thread, I have a pretty good idea what it takes to put together a wire frame and give it a skin. I've seen it done.

There are utilities for FS2004 that allow you to see the wire frame and change contact points and load locations like gas tanks (you start out with a stock Electra model and turn it into Earhart's--I tried it it took a team a couple years to do it and they started with the samefree ware model I started with). The contacts are sometimes misplaced on freeware and you can end up wth planes suspended above a runway or starting inside the ground. And that's simple stuff with a model. It's not designing a wire frame.

Then there are textures that behave strangely. And cfg and air files that have stats for the wrong engine (usually they are using a bad source--do you know the compression ratio of a Rhone 80hp off the top of your head) or get some other little thing wrong. There is so much stuff to check and recheck, you get exhausted just thinking about it.

There were a bunch of modelers and teams who were fans of FS2004 so there are quite a few freeware planes and thousands of repaints. Some of those guys and gals quit posting their stuff because they were always being constantly criticized by the "rivet counters" on boards. You come across what you think is a mistake you write the designer a polite e-mail.

So appreciate the AC designer! He's hoeing a tough row. And his job is long and tedious.

Or even... the Halberstad CLII!!!!

That would be awesome.

I'd vote for the Dolphin and the Siemens-Schuckert DIV.

If it takes five years to get them, though, it won't bother me, because I've only scratched the surface of what's already there, and I keep finding new favourites.:yikes:

So yes, time is important, and we really keep a close eye on what we choose for the game. We hope to have many more planes in the sky down the road, but one-step at a time as it goes.

You guys are doing an amazing job OvS!

Take your time, take care of your families

No wine before it's time

Thanks for all your efforts M8,

I remember watching that sillyassed show but I can't remember the name.

I believe it's "Wacky Races" or "Wacky Racers".

Dick Dastardly and Muttley et al.

Edited by Check Six

Yea..they will come when they come!..... I am hoping for the Snipe (if anyone's noticed..I tend to keep quiet about it as you all know) :grin:

But even if I never got one...There are enough Aircraft that I haven't even looked at properly yet...So, I am quite happy to wait

Well done you OFF chaps!

I am continually amazed at the ongoing time and effort put into this fantastic sim by the devs. It is appreciated more than can be imagined. But I have to tell you all, I have been flying BHaH now for six months and have gotten a feel for maybe 25% of the planes we have available to us right now. Even if a new kite doesn't come along for another year I'd still be learning the ins and outs of the ones already here, so I for one won't need any new sparkle to hold my interest for a long, long time.

Cheers!

Lou

Very true, Lou.

I'm sure, the devs will develop new crates faster than I could develop a need for them.

Good to know, on the other hand, that they work on them, until they are really ready.

Personally, I was hoping for some of these:

I think these have already been done - for CFS2, or perhaps it was just FS2000 or something. I'm sure they exist, together with Snoopy in a little red plane.

Stop that Pigeon... a classic Hanna-Barberra from the 70's. :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=skDQ5r5DBes

Hmm... A little bit of cross-promotion. Dastardly and Muttley were in both cartoon series. I can vaguely remember both now that you mention it OvS.

The origins of the "Muttley" charachter go back a long way in the HB offerings. I remember Huckleberry Hound playing against a Muttley-esque adversary in at least two different episodes: One in which he was a TV repairman, and another where he was a dog catcher, (even as a kid the irony of that one was not lost). smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou