Sign in to follow this  
OHO

FE compared to OFF

Hi all,

I just came back to WWI aviation with OFF. This is a great sim but probably too hard for me, the AI shoots too good and also seemingly has eyes also in the rear, so I can't sneek, while my hits hardly hurt the other planes.

I would like to know if you can recommend FE with regards to the AI, is it good enough?

Next thing is force-feedback - is it working good? Do I feel the stall-danger in FFB?

Should I buy FE original and add some mods or is it worth to go with the extension-pack/Gold edition?

How is the graphics (cockpits and scenery) compared to OFF?

I own both OFF and FE, and each has it's own strengths to love (OFF for campaign, FE for modability and additional planes).

If you want a better FE AI, you need to use Peter01's FMs, he has really tweaked the AI as well as the FMs. A realistic plus is if you stall nose up, you do not fall tail down, but nose down as in a real plane.

Virtually all the mods are made for the FE + Exp 1 pack or have been upgraded to to the Exp1 pack, so getting FE Gold would be the way to go.

In my opinion, the FE cockpits are equal to OFF's cockpits, but OFF's scenery is more realistic to me (but there have been several recient environmental mods that have brought FE forward lately).

Getting FE + Exp 1 (Gold) would not be a waste of your money or time.

Thanks for your answer: How is the flight modell and the AI?

And can I hide in the cloud and is wind modelled in FE?

The flight model and AI are better in FE than OFF (in my opinion) with the latest FE patch (Nov08). Also there are no magic planes in FE and AI uses the same FM as you, which are based on real flight physics.

As for hiding in the clouds or wind, no wind that I know of and have not noticed any cloud benefit in FE like OFF's Cloud Level 5 (where the AI can not see you).

Yes, you can hide behind clouds, it works! But hard to get there, and then you really have a hard time finding the enemy again. No wind as far as I know, but sometimes it sure feels like it.

No, AFAIK the AI do not use the same level of flight engine as player. If you are on hard flight model, the AI is normal flight model. But this doesn't make as much difference as you may think. The AI is amazing, but not as apt to take you out at long range... watch your 6 always!

The 3rdwire (stock game) cockpits are much better, but few 3rd party mods are as good, however, many 3rd party planes use the stock cockpits.

Get both, play both for different reasons. Enjoy.

personally the main put-off for me with OFF is that its based on the cfs3 engine. okay so they've done just about everything they can to make it barely cfs3, but the core is still there with its daft ai , min speed to warp and ground-attack orientated slant. i shudder when i remember totally useless wingman that fly around in circles sightseeing whilst you alone take-on the entire enemy airforce!

i still fly MAW which was a very well- done Med/Africa/Malta based game based on the cfs3 engine - and despite fantastic scenery, planes and other eye candy, cfs3 still unfortunately shines through. boredom.gif

for me FE is a truer WW1 game. grin.gif

do not underestimate OFF :wink: they did amazing things with the engine; yes it's still CFS3 but the changes are mile long, it's just that the feel of my plane is better done in FE.

OT: as for CFS3 try ETO 1.2 expansion, more fun than MAW

yes the modders have done an excellent job with cfs3 - MAW, PTO, ETO, OFF (i presume), yet i cannot enjoy those quite the same as il-2 and now especially all thirdwire sims. that horrible game still lurks in there somewhere. like a fishbone in an otherwise perfect fish dinner. blink.gif

the main reason i've kept MAW is that i like the malta battles so much. also i like flying often ignored planes like gladiator, swordfish, cr.32 etc.

now of course thanks to il-2 modders we have malta and africa for il-2 as well! we are being spoilt i think!!

but i must say that i have probably been more impressed with FE, plus the add-ons here, than any other flight sim for years. drinks.gif

it really is a great, reliable, graphically strong combat flight sim purposefully designed for the 1914-18 period which is VERY playable and with good enemy ai. yes i'm still getting shot down even on normal level. (guess that means i'm sub-normal derrr). grin.gif

Edited by jet_spud

switch to Hard :grin:

trust me, feels and plays better

okay - get the meat wagon ready, i mostly fly entente, what's my best aircraft; SE. 5a?

IMUHO it's Camel :smile: also try Spad with 37mm cannon if you have sharp eye and nerves of steel :good:

(the latter work better deployed against Gothas than Albs ya know :lol: )

i think my best bet is balloon busting - even i can't miss those things. pilot.gif

yep the camel is tasty all right, trouble is i have to really discipline myself that whilst i'm sewing holes through canvas on the plane in front, some sharp eyed fellow is up my six turning my kite into a collander too. knowing when to break off is half the battle methinks. Flyer.gif

what's your recomendation to fly on the other side?

them more i fly this game the more i like it.bowdown2.gif