Sign in to follow this  
navychief

Senator Kerry And Hanoi Jane

As a veteran of the Vietnam Era, I thought this picture and article might arouse the ire of some of you who lived through that time. Senator Kerry's military record is to be commended, but his actions afterward are not (in my opinion) indicative of someone who deserves to be our Commander In Chief. The following article is from the Rush Limbaugh website:

A photo seemingly showing Democratic presidential front-runner John Kerry protesting the Vietnam War with anti-American actress "Hanoi Jane" Fonda - the photo Dems fear most - exists, and has been obtained by NewsMax.com.

On Labor Day weekend 1970, Kerry - then a rising star with Vietnam Veteran Against the War - teamed up with Fonda as the two headlined an ugly anti-war in rally in Valley Forge, Pa., railing against U.S. policy in Southeast Asia from the back of the same flatbed truck.

The photo shows "Hanoi Jane" listening raptly as speakers denounced American soldiers for committing "genocide" in Vietnam and accusing the U.S. of "international racism."

Three rows behind 'Hanoi Jane" sits a man who bears a striking resemblance to the Democratic presidential front-runner.

According to Corbis Images, which owns the image, the photo was taken at the same 1970 Valley Forge protest that turned Sen. Kerry into an anti-war star.

Douglas Brinkley's biography "Tour of Duty" chronicles Kerry's exploits at Valley Forge, where he reportedly followed Fonda onto the back of that pick-up truck to deliver his own diatribe against the war in Vietnam.

"We are here because we above all others have earned the right to criticize the war on Southeast Asia," Kerry shouted into the microphone, as Fonda and the crowd cheered wildly.

"By the time [Kerry] hopped off that pick-up truck to thunderous applause," writes Brinkley, "he was the new leader of the VVAW by popular default."

The Massachusetts Democrat's speech also cemented his alliance with Fonda, and the two traveled to Detroit to organize a January 1971 event they called the "Winter Soldier Investigation."

At a Detroit motel, Kerry and Fonda assembled a myriad of disgruntled witnesses claiming to be Vietnam vets, each with his own story of American atrocities.

According to Jug Burkett, whose landmark Vietnam war history "Stolen Valor" chronicles some of Kerry's anti-war misadventures, Fonda played a key role at the Detroit event.

"There's no doubt that Jane Fonda financed the Winter Soldier hearings," Burkett told NewsMax on Monday.

He said that several of the witnesses who testified at the protest's "hearings" later turned out to be complete impostors.

The event prompted "Hanoi Jane" to "adopt" Kerry's group "as her leading cause," writes Brinkley. It was at Kerry's Winter Soldier protest that the anti-American actress met her future husband, Students for a Democratic Society radical Tom Hayden.

The next year Fonda was off to Hanoi, where she mounted an anti-aircraft battery and pretended to shoot down American pilots.

Of Kerry, Burkett told NewsMax, "Any Vietnam veteran who knows what Kerry did after he came home from Vietnam is definitely not a fan of John Kerry."

Navy Chief

I really don't understand why people don't support our troops!

I mean, they're the ones out risking their lives for us, and all we do is stay at home, watching Bonanza and complaining our taxes are too high.

I have an Uncle Joe who was a US Marine in Vietnam. Because of Vietnam, he's turned into a hermit. A recluse. Vietnam scarred him for life. He was only 19 when he was drafted and now look.

I support the troops however, and have several members of my family that served in the Fillipino Resistance fighting in in Phillipines against the Japanese in WW2. I also have several (most now deceased) family members in the regular Fillipino Army.

If any of them heard of this, they'd be so ashamed and let down. Why? Because the public just doesn't know what the troops face out there!

Protest?

I'll support every war this country goes to!

My best friend's cousin is a reservist activated to serve in Iraq. We all hope he comes home safely. My friend is very worried about him and has asked me and others to pray for him. Could you do that guys? Thanks.

Edited by Falcon Six Two

Kerry's a back stabbing rat. I have yet to herar any of his shipmates stand up for him. Now that he started about the President's Air Guard commitment, he's trying to backpeddle and say it's not his concern. Funny that Al Gore and Comrade Bill didn't get this scrutiny.

As for that traitorous B*** Hanoi Jane, she was on CNN now claiming that all servicemen in Viet Nam were heros and Patriots. Thirty years go her heros were Ho Chi Mihn and Le Duc Tho. Will all you throw backs to the sixties do us all a favor and kill yourselves? I grew up watching you spoiled rich kids burn flags and riot while my father and my friends big brothers were doing their duty,and even as a kid I knew what you were doing was wrong.

I'm going to stop now before I have a complete melt down. :angry::angry::angry:

Man, I'm a moderate Republican registered as democat (in Kansas moderate republicans are democrats ;) ) and Clark always freaked me out, I heard some stories about his insuboranant attitude during the Balkans campaign and well, he kinda lost me, oh why can't John McCain run...maybe in 2008 :D

Bush will get re-elected and we can sit back and watch the liberals squirm for another 4 years. :lol:

Michael Moore is one piece of trash I would love to meet in person. :angry:

Hey Seawolf.

I agree with you comment about Michael Moore. If there ever was an arguement FOR birth control, all you have to do is think of Michael Moore.

What a waste of human flesh.

Navy Chief

... and to sum it all up - quote from a guy on UBI`s forum:

Politicians are like diapers. They have to be changed frequently for the same reason.

This is straight from Snopes.com:

"The most prominent example of a clash between private citizen protest and governmental military policy in recent history occurred in July 1972, when actress Jane Fonda arrived in Hanoi, North Vietnam, and began a two-week tour of the country conducted by uniformed military hosts."

As we understand Kerry's actions in light of his war protests; they took place in 1970. Before Hanoi Jane went to N. Vietnam and became a Communist herself.

Guys, I have to say that Sen. Kerry has my vote. I know that Bush ran a quasi-sucessful camgain against Iraq, but part of the reason why soliders are still getting killed there is that the CIC won't let commanders act on the received intelligence, which is paramount, and we all know this because this is the way it's always been. That's costs live gentlemen, and I know there are quite a few of us that are vets or are still serving in the military. The reason why he was a protestor, is because of the bretheren the he and others had lost during the war, and if one talks to a Vietnam Veteran, they would back up the fact that they would disagree with the war as well. I've met countless vets; some who are friends of mine that say the same thing. One friend in particular was in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive, who was a recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross and was wounded (2 Purple Hearts), would also attest to the war. Pride in the service can go very far for all of us, but when there is a war that will accomplish nothing but lost lives, just doesnt make any sense. Perhaps if we had a veteran that understands what war really is, and knows what it is like to lose friends and family, he will think twice before starting another one.

Edited by zagnut

People, before everybody attack me by what I say now. It is not a attack against you and the voting system. I am not a American, maybe I have to shut my mouth in this topic, but it is only a conclusion from the sideline, with a open mind. And I am intrested in America politics also. A follow the election.

"Clinton was president for 8 long years. And he was against Vietnam war and he didn't fight in that war. Bush also didn't fight in that war, so if he can be president, why not Kerry?

I don't say who is mine favourite about those two, I keep out of that.

Hopely some will think about what I said, maybe you find it bull&$*#, maybe not.

It is just what I was thinking and asking myself.

To all the veterans, in what war you fight. Everybody has mine respect. In mine country are Americans, Canadians and English soldiers true hero's of the WW2. That is why we support those countries all the time.

Salute

Dutchy

I love how conservatives try and make liberals look like the special interest whores. Last time I checked, both parties are dead even in special interest contributions, its just that they are opposed, but some how Pro-Life, and the NRA are rightous. And ofcourse this makes gun control an infringement on our rights, and pro-choice people are murderers. Just commenting on Fates' nip slip cartoon... Dean's the only funny part.

Hmmm, American politics... very odd. Ever notice that Pro-life ppl are generally pro-death penalty, and pro-choice ppl tend to be against school vouchers.... denying parents a choice... odd IMHO.

When will we get a truly moderate president??? :unsure:

Screw it, lets just have a dictator...... I nominate myself :P I'll run on the free beer ticket :D .

Kerry has stated that he wants the UN to approve the US deployment of forces overseas.

The UN has proven itself a non-entity. It is also corrupt. And we should turn over such decisions to them?

And Kerry's position on taxes? Well, like a true liberal, he would repeal Bush's tax cuts, and raise taxes to fund social programs that NEVER work.

I bristle at the thought of giving one more penny to the IRS. The IRS is proof that Communism is alive and well in the US.

Taxes......another way of saying "Legalized Theft".

Navy Chief

From Newsmax.com:

In his 1985 memoir about the war, Gen. Vo Nguyen Giap wrote that if it

weren't for organizations like Kerry's Vietnam Veterans Against the War, Hanoi would have surrendered to the U.S. - according to Fox News Channel war historian

Oliver North.

That's why, he predicted on Tuesday, the Vietnam War issue "is going to blow

up in Kerry's face."

"People are going to remember Gen. Giap saying if it weren't for these guys

[Kerry's group], we would have lost," North told radio host Sean Hannity.

"The Vietnam Veterans Against the War encouraged people to desert, encouraged

people to mutiny - some used what they wrote to justify fragging officers,"

noted the former Marine lieutenant colonel, who earned two purple hearts in

Vietnam.  "John Kerry has blood of American soldiers on his hands," North said.

....mmm... I'll cath ya when I get sober..

Edited by zagnut

Kerry has stated that he wants the UN to approve the US deployment of forces overseas. 

The UN has proven itself a non-entity.  It is also corrupt.  And we should turn over such decisions to them?

And Kerry's position on taxes? Well, like a true liberal, he would repeal Bush's tax cuts, and raise taxes to fund social programs that NEVER work.

I bristle at the thought of giving one more penny to the IRS. The IRS is proof that Communism is alive and well in the US.

Taxes......another way of saying "Legalized Theft".

Navy Chief

I agree Chief, I don't think turning over our military to the whims of the UN :blink: is a good idea. I don't think Bush's spending :unsure: is a good deal for America either, so once again we are forced to choose between the lesser of the two evils. Of course I think I'll vote Bush for another 4 years.

I won't comment on this one as I have VERY strong feelings about the un and don't want to say alot of neg. things.

Before I blow up on anyone here for this...

MJ, do you think it's possible to create a new "politics" forum? One specifically set aside for these kinds of discussions? I've seen them on other sites, and they've worked pretty good. Thanks :)

most people here don't get carried away..yes sometimes the discussions are"lively"but always seem to stay civil...if they don't,we lock them.The nice thing about the Biohaz community is they are mature enough to know that personal attacks,or just plain foul language aren't neccassary to make a point.

You'll notice I refrained from comments as I served as part of a un "peace keeping"force.

Well, this forum, as defined, should suffice for political dialogue. It is for all off-topic discussions.

No matter to me.

Navy Chief

As I get too worked up over this, I think a separate page for politics would not be a bad idea. That way I can keep my blood pressure down,and not get in a snit.Snits are very cramped and uncomfortable ;) .