Sign in to follow this  
Guest British_eh

OK, so I was a little greedy, but really now, did you

Guest British_eh

have to crash into me? Fighting in my British SE5Viper, and seeing the German having a go at my Wingman, I went to help. We were both giving the Hun a bad time of it, when I caught sight of something on my right side. I had signalled to "Split" which I thought would send the AI wingman away. Well, crash and burn, and then end of a career. So, didn't "Split" mean that your AI man would split away. It seems to work with "Rejoin" and "Help", so what "Split"? Any ideas, other than don't get in their waycrazy.gif

Cheers,

British_eh

Maybe in the mess of bullets whizzing by your wingman though your frantic waving meant "Go right" or something ;)

Repeat please....

I say again, 2, 3, 0.

Repeat please...

For crying out loud, 2, 3, 0.

Repeat please....

Hee Hee Hee!

Repeat please....

I say again, 2, 3, 0.

Repeat please...

For crying out loud, 2, 3, 0.

Repeat please....

Hee Hee Hee!

:good: One of my fabourite bits from 'Battle of Britain'.

I take 'split' to mean every man for himself... including any dramatic cosequences.

clapping.gif Ive had my wingmates crash into me. Generally, I was sticking my nose in on their Kill, As I overshot or turn ed into them, They would shoot me up or crash into me. I would like to point out that the vultures have horned in on my kills by getting the last few shots in an already doomed airplane and got credit for the kill. Sinkin, no good, &^%$good.gif

Repeat please....

A pet peeve of mine is folks in war movies saying "repeat" on the radio. At leat in my day, everybody had it beaten into them NEVER to say "repeat" unless they really meant it, because "repeat" has a very special meaning in military radio jargon, which can get you killed if you don't know how to use it.

"Repeat" means "fire the same thing as before, as modified by the other things I'm saying in this transmission." Such as, when an FO is adjusting arty fire on a target. He'll call for 1 spotting round at the target. It will often miss, in which case he'll say something like "left 200, add 300, repeat", which means fire another spotting round 200m left and 300m longer than the last one.

Where this gets people killed is when the last thing the FO says is "Fire for effect." So now the arty is on target and fires a lot of rounds to plaster the objective just before the grunts assault. Then the grunts carry the objective and are setting up a hasty perimeter there, and in the excitement of the short-range firefight the FO forgets to say "end of mission". So the arty unit calls the FO to ask if any more is needed and the FO can't understand them because his ears are still ringing from the assault. So he says "Repeat that", which to the arty unit means fire for effect again, only now the only people standing on the target are friendlies.....

As a result, the correct way to do this is for the FO to say, "Say again?" And thus all military folks are trained to say, even if they don't understand why.

A pet peeve of mine is folks in war movies saying "repeat" on the radio. At leat in my day, everybody had it beaten into them NEVER to say "repeat" unless they really meant it, because "repeat" has a very special meaning in military radio jargon, which can get you killed if you don't know how to use it.

"Repeat" means "fire the same thing as before, as modified by the other things I'm saying in this transmission." Such as, when an FO is adjusting arty fire on a target. He'll call for 1 spotting round at the target. It will often miss, in which case he'll say something like "left 200, add 300, repeat", which means fire another spotting round 200m left and 300m longer than the last one.

Where this gets people killed is when the last thing the FO says is "Fire for effect." So now the arty is on target and fires a lot of rounds to plaster the objective just before the grunts assault. Then the grunts carry the objective and are setting up a hasty perimeter there, and in the excitement of the short-range firefight the FO forgets to say "end of mission". So the arty unit calls the FO to ask if any more is needed and the FO can't understand them because his ears are still ringing from the assault. So he says "Repeat that", which to the arty unit means fire for effect again, only now the only people standing on the target are friendlies.....

As a result, the correct way to do this is for the FO to say, "Say again?" And thus all military folks are trained to say, even if they don't understand why.

It's "over and out" that kills me.

have to crash into me? Fighting in my British SE5Viper, and seeing the German having a go at my Wingman, I went to help. We were both giving the Hun a bad time of it, when I caught sight of something on my right side. I had signalled to "Split" which I thought would send the AI wingman away. Well, crash and burn, and then end of a career. So, didn't "Split" mean that your AI man would split away. It seems to work with "Rejoin" and "Help", so what "Split"? Any ideas, other than don't get in their waycrazy.gif

Cheers,

British_eh

Just a thought; maybe "Split" is based on their formation position

Wingies on the left go left etc.

cfs3 could do something dumb like that

My experience is that Wingnuts will shoot through you, fly through you, or demolish you in any way to get the victory

Best to just get outta their way and let em have it

I have had some success with Rejoion Command, but if they're that close, best to pull off

It's nasty to say that, but: a collision is ALWAYS your fault.

If you had full situational awareness, it wouldn't happen.

(But to comfort you: it even happened to a man like Boelke)

It's nasty to say that, but: a collision is ALWAYS your fault. If you had full situational awareness, it wouldn't happen.

OTOH, if your wingman had SA, he'd have know that 1) you'd called dibs on this target, 2) you were between him and the target, and 3) you'd told him to cover your 6 while you took your shot. In combat, you have to trust your troops to do their jobs, because you don't have enough SA to do both your job and theirs. So you give the orders and concentrate on getting your sights on, trusting your wingman to do his job. But then sometimes he either shoots you in the back or flies into your tail anyway.

I find this to be more of a problem in "elite" squadrons than otherwise. Those "elite" bastids all have "sore throats" and think their prestige will get them through whatever insubordinations they commit.