Sign in to follow this  
Jimbib

Hard drive issue

Right, I have a LaCie 160GB mobile drive, this one to be precise...

http://www.cafegadgets.com/crazy-images/enlarge/1425_1198826761_LaCie-Mobile-Drive-160GB--H.jpg

Used it on a Mac today just to copy some stuff over. Have done this plenty of times before with no problem, it is currently formatted to NTFS, so I was only interested in copying stuff off the drive.

Tried to use it on my PC laptop this evening and the drive doesn't appear whatsoever in My Computer or Disk Management.

I'm at a bit of a loss as this has never happened before and I've been using the drive for a year now with no hiccups so far at all. Should mention, I have used it on a Mac just to copy stuff over loads of time and this hasn't yet cropped up until now.

:dntknw:

Are you sure it's the flashdrive? Have you put it into another computer or even back on the MAC? If you can narrow down the problem a bit more it would helpful as it's probably something simple.

Ah, I shall try to explain a bit more. I have just tried it on a different Mac and it's a no show there also. The drive does have the second optional power input as well, however unfortunately I do not have a cable for it. The drive does power up just like normal and the power light stays steady also.

Sorry about the lack of info, not too sharp on things like this I'm afraid.

And to be honest, no I'm not entirely sure it's the drive itself either. However, I have used it quite a few times for a while now just for the same purpose of copying stuff over and have not had such a problem. Don't know if it's worth mentioning or not but my laptop PC is running Vista and the Mac is running Leopard 10.5.8. Also to note, that the drive didn't successfully eject properly on the Mac. I guess that could be the issue...

If it didn't eject cleanly then it's still thinking it's connected to the MAC or at least that's what it's expecting. Putting it back on the MAC it was plugged into prior to it going down have any affect? I had an older drive similar that had issues like that and it required a reset which dropped all my data but brought the disk back to life. I'm sure you've gone through all the support related topics here? Mobile Drive

Bugger. I just tried plugging it into a Mac at my house, no show there. Seems like what you say is most likely true, it still thinks it's plugged into a Mac, one inparticular Mac at that.

I had looked through the help sections so far at the LaCie site, haven't found anything so far, although I may be looking in the wrong direction. Might try messaging them to see if there is even a slim possibility of sorting it out and keeping the data from a machine other than the Mac I had plugged it into.

Thanks for the help Erik, shall try plugging it into the original Mac when I next can; it's at my girlfriend's house.

... and this whole time I thought we were talking about a hard drive. woulda'known :dntknw:

Well it is an external hard drive yep, but it's a mobile USB powered one, as opposed to being powered from the mains. Something tells me I need to read up on problems like this a bit more... :blink: