Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

I just found the plane I want to fly....

While doing some web-searching on Boelke, I discovered this plane. It was not titled; I don't know what is; but I certainly want one. Can anyone help me out? I'd like to find some good 3-views of it...and some background.

Hauksbee, it looks like a float version of the Gotha G.1, a twin engine B/R plane built early in the War. While I am sure it is a Gotha I can't sort out exactly which model, but it is quite early. Here is a pic of a 1914 G.1 for comparision.

Cheers!

Lou

Ah, the UWD, that's the one Olham. And it is the float version of the G.1. Thanks Olham. It is a sweet-looking plane too, isn't it. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

You're a man of taste, Hauksbee!

Coming from you, Herr Fliegermeister, that is high praise indeed. Thanks for the links. And to you, RAF_Louvert! I am assuming that 'Ursinus' means 'bear'? (an odd name for a seaplane.)

Hauksbee, "Ursinus" does mean "bear", and while it is an odd name for a seaplane, in 1914 as the original land-based G.I version of the Gotha it made more sense. By 1915-16 when the seaplane version was being built, it was still called the Ursinus but the designation was changed from G.I to "WD", presumably standing for "Wasser Doppledecker". Thus the Gotha UWD, or "Ursinus Wasser Doppledecker".

Cheers!

Lou

Coming from you, Herr Fliegermeister, that is high praise indeed. Thanks for the links. And to you, RAF_Louvert! I am assuming that 'Ursinus' means 'bear'? (an odd name for a seaplane.)

'Ursinus' in Latin means 'of the bear'. But it's named after the designer, Oskar Ursinus, I strongly suspect.

Meh. Well, okay, it is obvious. But I thought Hauksbee was genuinely asking.

Umm...well, I was genuinely asking, but was not sure that 'Oskar Ursinus' was a real person. (you British are justly famous for dry wit) At first glance, it seemed to be like naming a large plane 'Cape Water Buffalo'...a critter that one would not trifle with lightly, but sounds odd if connected to a flying machine. So I did a search, and sure enough, he was as real as it gets. Quite an engineer, as it turns out. Had a passion for seaplanes and designed one with retractable floats in 1916 ( I think that's the one I want) but it was destroyed before it got out of the prototype stage. The link has a write-up of modest length, but, alas, no photo of him. (He died in 1952)

http://en.wikipedia....i/Oskar_Ursinus

Edited by Hauksbee

Tried to add this picture , but couldn't do it as part of the edit of my reply. This is the model that Olham found.

Dej wrote:

No, no, Dej, I was making fun of myself! I completely overlooked the designer's name of the Gotha series. With age comes forgetfulness. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Okay, gents, here's a photo or two in this site. It's documents and photographs, and I haven't investigated further yet.

What phenominal site! How did we ever live without the internet? Once again, well done, Olham.