Sign in to follow this  
OHO

some observations coming from WW2-fighters

Hi all,

next newbie threat who is (after a bit of mourning because seemed too hard - but now I got some nice kills (even veterans aren't immortal) and the world's bright again) absolutely impressed by this beautiful game. Very nice are also the different little videos when I enter the campaign and the very good music - was this done especially for this game?

It's becoming more and more fun. If one comes from WW2 fighting you try to get behind the other a/c, deflection-shooting almost never hits. Here deflection is much more successul because the planes are much slower.

Another thing is I'm using much more rudder now - the feeling of slipping etc is very nice - completely different from WW2-planes though, turning with full rudder is often very useful - not like in WW2 sims - to get behind the enemy.

The AI is very good, and varying a lot.

Only question: When near the ground they almost never fly straight but they seem to do hammerhead (or immelmann?) constantly. Will you adress this in a future patch?

Only question: When near the ground they almost never fly straight but they seem to do hammerhead (or immelmann?) constantly. Will you adress this in a future patch?

the AI in this sim is absolutely the best i have seen so far. it's so great to watch one AI making evasive moves and the hunter is repeating exactly the same moves to keep on his tail. so great to know there's somebody out there you can't shake. but you are right. only downside is the behaviour when near the ground. i hope too the dev's are going to find a way to make it better.

maybe a solution would be to lower the virtual sealevel for some virtual meters, so the AI thinks he is still e.g. 100 meters high, but is just above treetop level and so he still acts "normal".

Yeh, the AI sometimes fly poorly at ground level, and unfortunately when in a fight they often seem to instinctively dive down to ground level in short order (not always but quite often).

The AI flying at ground level seems to have a couple of ideas that conflict with one another and start that hammerhead stall cycle.

a) I am near the ground so I must exchange speed for height and do a panic zoom-climb.

b) I am going too slow so I must exchange height for speed and dive.

which sometimes repeats a, b, a, b etc until they eventually fall tail-first into the ground.

I have no idea if this is really what is going on inside the AI, just my guess.

I am sure this behaviour is not easy to change without access to the CSF3 hardcoded AI logic, but then again things have already been greatly improved by the teams efforts with the FMs (e.g. Nieuports are much better down low than in the past, etc.).