Sign in to follow this  
Launchbury

Get on your Spitfire t-shirts!

Everyone would buy Spitfire T-Shirts.

Here's to the Lady, that was less beautiful, but saved London from more bombs falling.

In the shadow of the Spitfire - the real winner of the Battle of Britain.

Edited by Olham

Might want a tank T shirt too.

First time tanks were officially used in battle, during the Somme 1916.

(Maybe a tank top? OK, maybe not ).

Just don't muck about with the Brits on 15th September. Salute.gif

Here's a good one with both of the Ladies.

Remembered this was BoB Day and went home to do a circuit in the Spit. Alas it is IFR here and the bloody HS-4's both have stuck floats and it won't bloody start.

capn Rick

75 (Triumph) Spitfire 1500

A think a little BoBII is in order this evening (although my campaign in that is hovering around Aug 15 1940). drinks.gif

Don't think for a minute I would forsake the Hurri! It just happens to be that I really do have a Spitfire t-shirt, thus my reference to it! :P

Great video, UncleAl - heartwarming to see these old Ladies in best shape!

And:

Vera Lynn's song "We will meet again" is right now a top seller again!

The Lady, meanwhile over 90 years old, was very surprised to hear - she's living in France now.

One of the most fitting songs ever...

Aces High by Iron Maiden

We tried our best to get BOBII version 2.10 releasd on BOB day but we had some RL issues.

Here are some new BOBII 2.10 video's to get you in the mood for BOB day:

Convoy attack

Low level raid

Spitfires at sunset

Massed air attack

I hope that all our BOBII friends/players will give 2.10 a try, if interested and have any spare time from playing OFF3.

Edited by buddye

Everyone would buy Spitfire T-Shirts.

Here's to the Lady, that was less beautiful, but saved London from more bombs falling.

In the shadow of the Spitfire - the real winner of the Battle of Britain.

Actually, I'm with you Olham, the Hurricane was always my favourite. And it's fitting that Fighter Command's only BoB VC went to Nicholson, in a Hurricane, as your image depicts. I was lucky enough to be driving past North Weald when they were air-testing one of the surviving Hurris. It passed fairly low over the M25, enough to raise the hairs on my neck and draw a huge smile on my face.

It was the Battle of Britain that first got me into air combat history and I'll never lose my affection for it.

Here's to those who fought and those who fell and those who did both, in that most singular of aerial conflicts. God rest their souls :drinks:

[EDIT] And it you're wondering how come I heard it when I was driving... well it was the M25, so naturally I wasn't moving! [/EDIT]

Edited by Dej

I'm a great fan of the Hurri as well...But here is my favourite youtube clip featuring Spits...to the Sound of Vera Lynn's 'White Cliffs of Dover"

(Brings a massive lump to my throat everytime I watch it!!...lovely)

BoB II is the only other sim I find time to play these days in addition to OFF. Good to hear the new patch is progressing. Now if only my Halberstadt D.II had 8 guns like the Spit and Hurri... (it probably wouldn't be able to take off with that lousy engine!) :grin:

Even though the Hurricane did most of the work and rightly deserves it's seat at the top of the table, it's the Spitfire which delivered hope to the anxious British public and helped them keep the faith in their darkest hour. Schools chopped down their railings to build spitfires. It was the real glamour puss, simply the best, and it was also easy for impressionable minds to spot from the ground by the shape of it's wings.

It also made a similar impression on the Luftwaffe pilots, who must have understood how dangerous the Hurricanes actually were, but agreed there was still something iconic about the Spitfire.

Personally, I'm rather glad they were both there. I do have a big soft spot for the Hurricane, but even the very name 'Spitfire' just carries so many powerful connotations.

I got on Aces High to celebrate the battle of Britain. I flew a Spit VIII though. I get killed too quickly in a Hurricane. As it turned out, I got killed several times in the Spit too.rolleyes.gif Only once by a 109. The LA-7's that killed me twice had no bussiness being there.