Sign in to follow this  
JediMaster

Rogue Reaper Reaps

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-amp-space/article/2009-09/when-drones-go-wild-air-force-shoots-them-down

I've heard several USAF officials state the Predator/Reaper isn't what the USAF wanted or needed, but it was the best solution available when the need arose. If they had to do it again from scratch, they'd have a different system. Of course, how much of these incidents are due to the individual platform and how many arise from the procedures devised to use them is major issue.

Even with a different system they would still have to iron out a few thousand bugs like this one - and even then doesn't guarantee they wont lose control of it at some point.

I thought the thing was supposed to revert to a default course if it lost contact?

Exactly, it's supposed to revert to a holding pattern if contact is broken. I think there's also an RTB option, not sure if that's used or not. To just fly off wherever is bad, so is this the fault of the onboard programming malfunctioning, or do the large number of Predator losses indicate a problem with the basic concept of how it works? We seem to lose more of them percentage wise than any other UAV.

That´s nothing new. dntknw.gifWe use the same platform for our UAVs as Target for shooting practice