Sign in to follow this  
The_Black_Knight

Improving Rise of Flight Performance - TURN OFF Physx!

To All,

Although this may have been covered in other forums, I thought I would pass this information on.

Similiar to other games such as ARMA 2, there are significant benefits to TURNING OFF the physx capability on nVidia cards.

This applies to even high end cards that are in the market right now.

If your system is getting cranky frame rates, even a lower resolutions this will provide a significant boost.

Simply go to the nVidia control panel and turn the GPU feature OFF.

I went from ~20 FPS, to over 40+ at 1920X1080 just by disabling this feature.

It does not kill the immersion, but causes some less perceptible physics feature such as the warping of the wings.

But its easier to fly when the controls are more responsive due to improved frame rate.

There has been no stuttering in display. Should make for some happier gamers.

For an idea of my gaming system I am using a Gateway FX P-97805u laptop:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

Other OS Description: System Manufacturer Gateway

System Model P-7805u

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 9C.17.00, 12/16/2008

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Video Card: Single GeForce 9800M GTS

Video Memory: 1 GB

The Best,

The_Black_Knight

Interesting observation although PhysX is not used by RoF at all. At least in my interview with the developers the answers indicate this: Interview with neoqb (scroll down near the middle of the page). But maybe you are freeing up cycles for the GPU that still may happen although PhysX never gets used.

Cheers

Speaking of PhysX...my main video card is a 5870 but I came across a hack that allows you to use a Nvidia card with latest Nvidia drivers purely as a PhysX card but when I went to install an 8800GT in my case I found out there is not enough room due to my X-Fi being installed and there is no other PCI slot further away to move the X-Fi to. Bummer. My only possible solution is to remove the X-Fi and use the onboard audio instead but not sure if I really want to do that. That is the way to get fast graphics and PhysX at the same time though.

Edited by PinkPanther

From my reading of Nvidia FAQs and forums PhysX is supported with the 8 series and up (and now with the hack included) but is still buggy. From the Windows Control Panel though, the PhysX Control Panel will not open even tho the icon is there. You can find the .exe file in System 32 folder in Windows and create a shortcut to open it. I suspect that you won't see any PhsyX effects unless you're running a game that's coded for it. Nvidia's FAQs aren't clear on this. I've been playing around with PhysX for nearly a week with two machines that are SLI and qualified for PhysX and have become disgusted with it. I think Nvidia has a way to go yet.

I'm having trouble gettin any sort of enjoyment out of ROF, as are so many others who don't have a top of the line rig. I tried this but actually got the opposite experience with my geforce 9500gt, turning physX off slowed the game down.

The developers of ROF have zero business savvy. Its a game that I wish I never bought, it alienated many who might have really gotten excited about combat flight sims, but I won't go into that. Maybe in 4 years time when I buy a new motherboard gpu, and all the expensive goodies to go with it.