Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Did you have a ww1 pilot in your family ?

Just been looking at the post by Flynn and it got me thinking, how many of the OFF community had relations in the air services in ww1?

And wouldn't it be fun to do skins,profiles,etc for the said pilots.With all how knowledge we could build quite a dossier which would make great reading for every one.

Yep, my Grandfather, but the war ended before he made it to the Front. Which allows me to be here, as the odds of my not being here, if he had got there, well, you know.

Cheers,

shredward

Yep, my Grandfather, but the war ended before he made it to the Front. Which allows me to be here, as the odds of my not being here, if he had got there, well, you know.

Cheers,

shredw

I know what you mean, my great grandfather was killed within the first hours of the first battle of the somme 1915 i belive, lucky for me my grandmother was born in 1910.

No, i dont..traced alot of my family,but no real ww1 notable entry...my grandad did fly typhoons in africa in ww2,which makes me love the aircraft....oh and i must have a long lost relative in nigeria as i got an email saying they have left me millions in there will and there gonna put it in my bank wooooooo...pmsl x

xx v xx

Maybe I'm weird, hah, no doubt , but I have wanted to learn of any relation of mine that served or in particular flew during WWI. So far no luck. But as I have mostly brit and some german background there is a good chance if I go back far enough. My mother's mother's second husband was a WWI vet. I knew him and remember he still had his uniform and medals. Now I wish I was older at the time. He passed maybe 30 years ago. I hope his family still have his memorabilia and cherish it.

No flyers, but my grandfather's oldest brother (there were 9 boys and a girl in his family) made it to France on the ground during the war.

post-45761-1253363334825_thumb.jpg

Red-Dog, I do thank my lucky stars quite regularly that my grandfather made it through, and I consider playing this game to be one way of remembering him and honouring him.

Not only did he make it through as an observer and later as a pilot from 1915-18, but so did his brother who was a successful pilot in 18 Squadron (and they had another brother in the army who made it through). I think the two flyers put their survival down to the fact that they had both learnt to fly pre-war and had put in a lot of hours before the war had even begun. I believe they had even taken shotguns up pre-war and shot at mid-air duck in the Shannon estuary from above while flying, which must have been an interesting initiation into aerial combat

Attached is a picture of my grandfather (on the right)

post-53884-12533642175129_thumb.jpg

Edited by flynn

My Great-Grandfather on my Dad's side was in the Italian Army (I think Calvary, or Infantry) at the East Front fighting the Austrians. He survived and went on to be a mounted Carabinera in Palermo.

Red-Dog, I do thank my lucky stars quite regularly that my grandfather made it through, and I consider playing this game to be one way of remembering him and honouring him.

Not only did he make it through as an observer and later as a pilot from 1915-18, but so did his brother who was a successful pilot in 18 Squadron (and they had another brother in the army who made it through). I think the two flyers put their survival down to the fact that they had both learnt to fly pre-war and had put in a lot of hours before the war had even begun. I believe they had even taken shotguns up pre-war and shot at mid-air duck in the Shannon estuary from above while flying, which must have been an interesting initiation into aerial combat

2lniec7.jpg

Flynn is this your grandfather ?

Flynn is this your grandfather ?

A.G. Waller was my great uncle, known as Bertie, he was in 18 Sqn. My grandfather was his brother, W.H. Waller, known as Billy, he was in 16 Sqn. The address is correct for both of them during the war, it was their mother's house where they were born.

That document looks like Bertie's recommendation for the 1914 Star! Wow, how did you find that!!

A.G. Waller was my great uncle, known as Bertie, he was in 18 Sqn. My grandfather was his brother, W.H. Waller, known as Billy, he was in 16 Sqn. The address is correct for both of them during the war, it was their mother's house where they were born.

That document looks like Bertie's recommendation for the 1914 Star! Wow, how did you find that!!

The power of google Salute.gif

flynn,

I know this is a bit off topic, but how about emailing The Aerodrome and letting them know the date of your great uncles death, as his date of death is blank in the profile.

If you do not have an account for The Aerodrome, if you post the details on here I will let them know or one of the other members who frequents both forums may be able to inform them..

I did this once with Cyril Lowe (no relation) whose date of death is listed in a book I have listing all the english rugby internationals from 1871-1992.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

I love this thread, good one Red Dog. Thanks to all for sharing. We will not forget them.

My grandfather flew the PBY durring the second war. Mostly rescue/recon. I really do wish i had pictues or letters to share.

No WWI pilot (that I'm aware of, which isn't saying much given my Mothers families closed mouth, "We shan't talk of the War(s)" policy, and my Fathers side of the family info not overly available either) but I did have a great-uncle badly gassed at some point during WWI who needed to have every post-war window of his house open even in the middle of winter until he died, and my Mums grandfather a Boer War vet (Ladysmith et al.). My grandfather flew with the RAF in WWII (seeing action in France, BoB, Malta, and Far East), and I have some of his memorabilia. It was probably a combination of the 'silence' and the era that I grew up in that actually fostered my curiousity, rather than muted it. drinks.gif

I am somehow related to Hans Jeschonnek, who seems to have flown a Fokker DVII with Jasta 40

(as I found a downloadable skin here in our download section - maybe we even have him in OFF

already? I don't know right now).

I have never researched, what relative he exactly was. He commited suicide as a high Luftwaffe officer

in the "Third Reich", when Peenemünde was bombed hard the first time (don't know exactly why - seems

he was responsible for the realisation of Luftwaffe programs, and the bombing must have been a bad

set-back, about which Hitler was certainly extremely upset.)

My grandfather (father's side), had been an infantry soldier in the Somme area. In an assault, he got shot

through both upper arms by machine gun fire, and that was it for him - he survived half crippled though and

so he was lucky somehow - I'd say, after lots of horrible pics I have seen about trench warfare meanwhile.

My wife's grandfather was an engineer, joined the RFC as an Observer, and ended up flying the SE5A in the final weeks of the war - the family (my wife's cousins) still have his log book. He re-joined the RAF as a Squadron Leader in WWII (non-flying, station commander).

Bletchley

Great stuff, keep it coming clapping.gif

Interesting Olham. Jeschonnek is well known ace. He was indeed young only 19 year old leutnant in jasta 40. He and his a/c skin is in OFF. I have been reading book about Carl Degelow. Very interesting book that i would suggest you to read. There is much writed about Jeschonnek. If i remember right Hans got also brother who was 2-seater pilot and was killed 1918.

Arto

I am somehow related to Hans Jeschonnek, who seems to have flown a Fokker DVII with Jasta 40

(as I found a downloadable skin here in our download section - maybe we even have him in OFF

already? I don't know right now).

I have never researched, what relative he exactly was. He commited suicide as a high Luftwaffe officer

in the "Third Reich", when Peenemünde was bombed hard the first time (don't know exactly why - seems

he was responsible for the realisation of Luftwaffe programs, and the bombing must have been a bad

set-back, about which Hitler was certainly extremely upset.)

My grandfather (father's side), had been an infantry soldier in the Somme area. In an assault, he got shot

through both upper arms by machine gun fire, and that was it for him - he survived half crippled though and

so he was lucky somehow - I'd say, after lots of horrible pics I have seen about trench warfare meanwhile.

WWII Great Uncle Wiley Brock flew his last (and first combat) mission in a Devestator (Torpedo Six Flight) off the aircraft carrier Enterprise in the Battle of Midway. His whole flight was wiped out by Japanese Zeros before they reached their targets. I am told you can see his plane in the second picture in the link provided below although I do not know which one is his. The picture was taken just before his last flight.

http://www.chinfo.na...enterprise.html

Crossbones

He was my Grandmother's first cousin. Is that great uncle or great, great uncle?

Edited by Crossbones

Hey guys,my great great uncle flew with the red baron.His name was Sebastian Festner.He even flew a all red albatros though I have never seen a proflie done of it.here's a few pics of him with the baron.Thanks to Olham foe the one pic without the plane.I never saw that one before. :salute:post-5726-12534573356092_thumb.jpgpost-5726-12534573479839_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Olham.

Hey guys,my great great uncle flew with the red baron.His name was Sebastian Festner.He even flew a all red albatros though I have never seen a proflie done of it.here's a few pics of him with the baron.Thanks to Olham foe the one pic without the plane.I never saw that one before. Salute.gifpost-5726-12534573356092_thumb.jpgpost-5726-12534573479839_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Olham.

Hi Diveguy thats fantastic to have history in the family like that must be every OFF'ers dream.

Is their a skin in the sim for him?Salute.gif

If you can read French try this site it as some more info on your uncle membres.lycos.fr/asduciel/jasta11.htm

Also did you know he shot down Leefe Robinson ? check this out http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1952/1952%20-%203218.html

Edited by Red-Dog

Thanks for the tip, Arto! Do you have the title for the book on Carl Degelow?

This is really an OUTSTANDING thread! So much history, related to so many people.

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Diveguy thats fantastic to have history in the family like that must be every OFF'ers dream.

Is their a skin in the sim for him?Salute.gif

Yep