Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

A Duel in the Sun: Nels Alberts meets Friedrich Kempf

I had a Sunday afternoon completely free, so I got creative. Hope you enjoy watching this little video as much as I enjoyed producing it.

A Duel in the Sun

Cheers!

Lou

Great video! Great fight! A little slow at the outset, but once the fight was joined, a classic nail biter. Time after time, as you came 'round on his six, I was mentally yelling "Shoot! Dammitall! Shoot!" When he started to smoke, I was sure you had a flammer, but he seems to have landed safely.(?) Another surprise. Did you get all this footage in one fight? Also, the distance shots were unexpected. Most keep the camera closer in. But, nonetheless, visually striking.

Thanks Hauksbee, glad you enjoyed it. I intentionally had it start quietly before jumping into the combat as that is how it feels when I fly for what seems like an eternity in prelude to the brief but intense battle, (which in and of itself can feel like an eternity as well, but for a different reason). I actually filmed the same basic dogfight four times from different viewpoints, and shot some extra bits of footage I needed for a few of the segues. And I'm rather fond of the distant shots myself. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Hmmm, over 60 views of this video so far and only one comment. Couldn't be my stellar film work and editing so I guess there just aren't many Mozart fans around here. Or maybe some bad vibes towards King Vidor.

biggrin.gif

Great video, Lou. And though I prefer rock and roll grin.gif , the music is fitting. At the end, you could have landed next to him and had a smoke and shared a little cognac. I've done some movies with FSX and appreciate how much thinking and editing it can take for something like this. Well done

Edited by Ras

Thanks much Ras, I appreciate the comments Sir. Actually, I wanted to do a landing next to Kempf but when I tried the sim exited me due to damage from the fight. And my odds of putting just the right amount of damage on my opponent a second time so he would do a forced landing were about 1-in-a-100. BTW, how did you like that death spin I put my trusty Camel into and then pulled out of? I'm rather proud of that shot.

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, I saw this in Screenshots and loved it. I'm fond of that dragoncrate also. The perspective of the camera made me curious, how do you accomplish that fix outside view?

Thanks again Rickitycrate, and to answer you question about the views, I used Shift+F9 which gives you "fly-by view" and Shift+F6 which gives you "float view". With "fly-by" the computer pics the stationary point to view from based on when you hit the command. I played around with this for a while and discovered that you can achieve a wide variety of "angles" depending on where your plane is when you hit the keys. Also, if you fly too far outside of the frame the POV will shift. So, if you clicked a view you like just keep turning, climbing, and diving within the "box" and you will hold that view as long as you wish. If you don't care for the view fly outside the frame and you will cycle to a new one.

Cheers!

Lou

dude that was incredible i dled to dvd to show some of the md's i work wiht they love ww1 ac and such wish i could learn to make the vids that were of the class, wonderful stuff now lets see what you do wiht the 4 gun spad i sent you lol

Thanks much stumpjumper, your feedback is appreciated Sir, and I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I wish I had higher quality video capture and editor programs, but I make do with Windows Movie Maker and FRAPS. Now, as to that 4-gun Spad.... :smile:

Excellent vid as usual, Lou. You have a great talent for scoring your ballets grin.gif.

Thanks Bullethead, glad you enjoyed it Sir. But I must also give credit to my ace adversary, Ltn. Fritz Kempf. That man's a marvel with the DR1. It was an honour fighting him and I was glad he was able to land his damaged craft without harm to himself. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks Bullethead, glad you enjoyed it Sir. But I must also give credit to my ace adversary, Ltn. Fritz Kempf. That man's a marvel with the DR1. It was an honour fighting him and I was glad he was able to land his damaged craft without harm to himself. smile.gif

In your last pass, it looked to me like you put a round right through his shoulder. No wonder he had to land.

Merely a flesh wound. Besides, he'll now have a scar to show the frauleins after the war is over.

Thoroughly enjoyed that Vid.... never been a huge fan of that particular piece of music...but more than made up for with the film!

Nice one Lou

WOAH! Now there's a compliment Widowmaker, my film made up for the shortcomings of Mozart's Symphony #40. Sweet! Of course in music, as in life, to each his own. I personally like this particular piece, but then me and Wolfgang, we tight, we homes. Yo, and he deserved that MTV Music Award way more than Taylor Swift.

BTW, how did you like that death spin I put my trusty Camel into and then pulled out of? I'm rather proud of that shot.

And well you might be. The spin went on and on, and I thought, "Is he making a video in which he dies? Now, that's bold!" And then you recovered.

Great aviation here, Lou, and perfect choice of music.

The planes just dance in the air like swallows in a summer sky.

Thanks much Olham, I am glad you enjoyed it Sir. And a "dance" is precisely what I was going for. WWI scout vs scout aerial combat was just so. A beautiful and deadly dance.

Cheers!

Lou

Bloody Excellent, Lou! :good: That 'death spin' recovery you may justly be proud of, especially from outside the cockpit! Jetzt kennt Kempf dich noch!

Oh, and I like the Mozart 40 too, although I'd personally have gone for the Lacrimosa or Dies Irae from the Requiem, clichéd though it be. :grin:

Edited by Dej

Thank you Dej, much appreciated Sir. And I know Kempf bloody well after this too!

Oh, and I gave both of those superb pieces consideration for this little project. But I think the bit I made use of fits quite all right. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

It does indeed. I confess I listened to the music as much as watched the video, except for that recovery from the same spin that's killed me more often than I'd like, which grabbed my complete attention. There were a couple of other scenes where the Camel looked like she was was on the edge of that signature flick over and the video transitioned to a different view. I couldn't tell whether you'd recovered or had switched to a different clip... a sign of a well-made video I'd say.

Edited by Dej

Dej, that was the only spin I had in all the footage I gathered, and as mentioned before I intentionally put myself into that one to try and get just such a shot. I have flown the OFF Camel so much since I loaded up this sim that it feels almost a part of my being. I love that plane. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

I personally like this particular piece, but then me and Wolfgang, we tight, we homes. Yo, and he deserved that MTV Music Award way more than Taylor Swift.

Personally, I think MTV only knows about Mozart due to that ancient Falco video from the 80s, when MTV was young and still played music, "Rock Me Amadeus". Of course, that movie Amadues came out about then, too, which portrayed young Wolfgang as something of a hard-partying, terminally drunk rock star of his pre-electric day. Of course, everybody back then was into partying hard and being terminally drunk, but Mozart combined that with kick-ass music grin.gif .

All that aside, Amadeus rocks me. I can't think of any of his stuff that sucks, and damn near all of it is better than the best of most other famous decomposing composers.

Still, I can see where our Humble Narrator, Young Alex, was coming from with his preference for Lovely Ludwig Van's 9th for a spot of the dirty twenty-to-one, shop-crasting, and the old Ultraviolence.

Oh, and I like the Mozart 40 too, although I'd personally have gone for the Lacrimosa or Dies Irae from the Requiem, clichéd though it be. grin.gif

FWIW, "Dies Irae" was written in the 1200s, so Mozart just pimped it. And it rather bugs me that it's become cliché these days. Back before Amadeus rocked anybody in the 20th Century, let alone the 21st, it was my theme song. It's all about the Hate and Rage, and shows that even Jesus can feel the Dark Side. "No mo' water but fire next time."

"Dies Irae" was written in the 1200s, so Mozart just pimped it. And it rather bugs me that it's become cliché these days.

I totally agree, BH. It's good in one way that classical music is popularised in adverts and film but bad that it become clichéd as a result. I feel the same you do about Dies Irae, about that other 'famous' Latin piece 'O Fortuna'. IMO Orff showed real genius in setting relatively obscure Latin texts to some incredible music... but you'd never have a glimpse of it from film and TV.

And I agree that Mozart never put a foot wrong musically. Still not my favourite composer though, Vaughan Williams has that accolade, the Tallis Fantasia is what music exists for.