Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Life - What Makes You Happy?

My family makes me happy. I have been with my wife since high school. She is great. Quick with a joke or a smart remark. She is also one hell of a Soldier. She has been serving her country for the last 18 years. Hoping she makes E-8. She is one of the top people in the running.

My oldest son, he is my clone. Ask any of the CA staff who have been to my place. I recently with FastCargos help got a laptop for my oldest. Right now he is flying SF2 and loving it.

My youngest son he is more of an outdoors type. Loves to ride his bike. He has also picked up on my love for bbqing and cooking. He is a great assistant.

Then my twins, Sarah and Haleigh. They are a riot but a hand full. It amazes me how much they are two peas in a pod. They do everything together. It fun to just sit and watch them play.

I can't imagine a life without them.

What makes you happy?

Honestly I can say 'not dying'. But after that, family, friends, and planes. Being outside on a good day (or not so good day) with the wind and temp just right is pretty sweet too.

An interesting question in these times.

I have had to take a good, hard look at this question over the last few years. Several years ago I took up a management position and eventually a project management position in pursuit of that thing known as "success."

I hated both with a passion.

I learned that my real passion is being a technician (IT) and that "success" is a goal for your life, not just your career. Sure, I may not end up making as much money but I'm sure as hell a lot happier and can finally sleep at night without stressing over a job I'm not cut out for.

I learned that "success" is about finding a compromise between your work life and your family life.

I'm with Dave on my feelings about family. My wife and I have been married 27 years and probably have a stronger relationship now than any time in the past. My kids are grown and just starting their own lives. It's a different kind of parenting at this point but very rewarding.

I have been very, very lucky. In spite of my efforts to ruin it at times, my health is still pretty good. I have had a good run of bosses in my line of work. (Don't minimize that, folks.) We're not rich but we have a place to live, food on the table and a few dollars left over once in a while for entertainment.

I have gotten a chance to do something REALLY different recently (voice acting for a new Wing Commander game.) And, dammit, one of these days I'm going to learn to fly.

Edited by kirbykern

Well, I'm the last of my family, so I cant really use that one, so I dont know for sure. You are one lucky man, Dave.

First of all my wife. When i´m stressed out by work, she always makes me back happy again. I think this will change a bit soon. Within the next two weeks (no, not the modeling "Two Weeks"TM:grin: ), our son 'Tobias' will be born and i feel he will do the same for me! He will be our first kid and i´m really impressed to start this new adventure, together with my wife! :cool:

Amokfloo, thats really nice mate, i hope your son will bring you the upmost happyness and joy. I wish you luck with this new adventure drinks.gif

What makes me happy? That is a good question lol, i think what makes me happy is knowing that no matter what happens in life, ive always got someone to talk to, weither it be my mates or my family, they will be there to talk to me. I owe alot to my friends, as a military kid, you dont get to see much of your family, just your mum and dad, and now that im in Australia, i dont really get to see my family atall. My friends have aways been there for me, and yeah, im just glad ive got them really.

Another thing that makes me happy in life is when i study my ass off, go to an exam and passing it :P, recently ive just had my exams, and i worked really really really hard to pass them, i passed 5/6 (i failed phyics, but hey, cant be a smart kid at everything). Its just knowing that your hard work has paid off.

One last thing that makes me happy, and i think it will make all of us happy here, one word.....BEER drinks.gif

Cheers fellas!

Scouserlad13

I have been asking myself this question a lot recently. The honest answer is I dont know.... I really enjoy flying in the thirdwire sims, some games on my ps3, hanging out with friends and reading. (halfway through Dan Browns latest book. That guy is a genius). However my current life situation means im not really enjoying doing these things as much. I currently have no job, no money and no sign of getting a job. I have been looking for work ever since I finished university a year ago and don't seem to be getting anywhere.

So while I like to do the things mentioned above, and they make me happy for a short length of time, as soon as I turn off the sim or put down that book its back to reality and my s**tty situation. By the way I do have a great family and group of friends who are always there if I need them which is helping me get through and take each day as it comes.

Mike

Edited by MaverickMike

well I'm having a moment something "curious" in my life.

I have 21 years.

my boss at my job suspended for 20 days.

crash my car and I have no money to repair it.

I leave my girlfriend some time ago.

And I have much free time, I rediscovered the love I had for the books, and also for my old scale models of aircraft.

These days a lot and I have walked free more than anything in the countryside and the streets aimlessly and just walking aimlessly, with a few bucks in their pockets and great attention to what I see.

It's odd I'm happy but not that.

I think that makes me happy to be alone and quiet.

With little'm very happy.

Marcos

Same as Marcos, i have 19, damn, i love the small momments speciall with friends :drinks:

Specially in Concerts!

till i don't find a GF i'll stay with that. :no:

@AmokFloo:Congrats!

On cold dark and stormy nights simply having a roof is enough.

Like Mike above I graduated (Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineering) some time ago and have been unable to find work, seems that every position I apply for I'm up against 50 or 60 guys that have 20 years field experience so noone realy takes a serious look at me...

I was also made redundant from a retail position with a company I'd worked with since highschool shortly after christmas, then proceded to break my wrist putting an end to my naval application for the time being, theres always next year.. Thankfuly I have enough get buy and have a job lined up starting next month which should pay enough for me to finally move out into my own place.

Then theres my girlfriend of 2 years grin.gif

My wife of 11 years and my daughter, who just turned 1 a week ago. Everything else qualifies as "diversions" or "entertainment", but they don't really make me happy. Music, TV, games, books, whatever, I enjoy it as it comes but I don't live for it.

Very good question,indeed! I've been down in the dumps recently trying to work that one out. Beer, alcohol in general, and you can extend that to drugs on or off prescription are not, I believe, the key to even manic depression (although I would never advise anyone else to come off their meds without consultation and monitoring via a normal health practitioner!!!) Alas, tonight, after three nights of trying to work it out in my new "home" in the South of England.. I figured that what I was missing was.. training!

Training makes me happy, that feeling that you only get when you have been working out your whole body to the maximum limit and beyond. The feeling that you get when you faint from over exertion and come back only to work harder! I know that with time, I will regain my energy, regain my healthy taste in foods (I had a tuna salad tonight, instead of the usual pizza) I will be harder, and fitter, able to work longer and better, I will feel more confident with my peers, I will smile more, I will do more, I will live more, if I need to defend myself in a fight I will be better able to do so, I am more likely to interest girls (in that way) and more over, I will need less invasive medical help later in life! All in all, training makes me happy in the sense that ordinarily, the things that used to make me happy don't anymore, my enjoyment of life has virtually dissipated unless in the company of my girlfriend. As nice as it is to be happy with someone, you should never base your own happiness on someone else because one day they may not be there. To be happy in myself I have concluded that I need training.

My and daughters keep me more or less grounded. My greatest joy is the look of wonder on my grandson's face when I show or have him experience something new.

For my simple enjoyment just passing time with a cat on my lap listening to it purr.

up until recently it was salsa dancing..

but my knee problem screw this up blink.gif

i used to go with my good friends and i learned with an excellent group and guide

everytime i go visit i feel welcomed and it's fun to be missed ^_^

haning out with friends always fun and great..

but it's all small moments of happiness

i'm not the optimistic type.. and don't believe in lasting happiness dntknw.gif

Airplanes make me happy. As do motorcycles and cars. Everything else is just pleasantries and neccesities for getting to a point in my life where I have nothing but Airplanes, motorcycles and cars. People are nice too, and it's mostly my friends who make me happy. I don't really have much of a family, although there's nothing that I love more then working on Airplanes, motorcycles or cars with my dad. :biggrin:

"To crush your enemies, See them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of the women."

Seriously..............Thunderstorms. There is something primal and visceral about them. Watching them grow and develop, to hear and feel the power from within and the amazing lightshow as they move off in the distance. The variety in it's dynamics as every cell is an individual entity.

Secondly, my "family" consists of me and my dog. I grew up in a seriously dysfunctional environment and so I can only imagine what a "normal family" might be, but have no actual reference points. I'm the middle of 3 boys and my mom lives in Hawaii where I spent most of my childhood. Older brother is constantly trying to be MY father which I resent more than you could know. The younger one is in line to try out for "The Jerry Springer Show", seriously. My mom, though I respect many things about her, wears on me and eventually gets on my last nerve when she visits. Love her to death, but close contact with her or my brothers for an extended time period is simply out of the question.

My dogs over the years are a completely different story. ALWAYS happy to see me when I get home from work (regardless of what shift I'm on) or return from errands. Cares only about the simpler things of which I too enjoy most. Some attention, a little exercise and ALWAYS an open ear when one needs to just vent. Truly my best friend.

Simple is best for me. No drama, no overly emotional tripe of any kind and clear communication without it being layered in hidden motives or agendas. Something I have yet to find in any female of the species. My "family" will ALWAYS consist of having a dog, I cannot say the same about a genuine woman. My mom has recently gotten to accept that she will always have a grand-dog-ter as it's becoming less and less likely a grand-daughter will ever come to be from me.

Material things are nice and they serve their purposes. My motorcycles, my models, computers and so on. They provide entertainment to an extent. The colors of a Sunsets, Thunderstorms, Stargazing, a fireplace, the beach and the companionship of a good and trusted friend. The simpler things are best to me. Just sayin'.

I believe that happiness is a state of mind. I'm a master at life screwing me over, so I learned early to not fight it and open my eyes up wider to see - not just at what is right in front of you, you begin to notice the seemingly insignificant things that can bring you the most joy. Obviously, family and friends are a part of that but on a deeper more personal level, its the string of green lights when you are late for work, finding a fiver in your laundry or your wife smiling at you through a window when you're busting your butt planting some flowers for her.

Happiness is a warm machine gun. :good:

Chicks are nice too. (bewbs) :yikes:

Beer, lots of beer. :drinks:

Very interesting question, but for me it`s the same like for suicidal...

My car broke in march and nobody could find out what realy is broken, in July we found the prob after spending so much money... but the moment of the first engine sound was great!

I leaved my girlfriend 2 month ago, she went on a half year trip to southafrica, for me.. all stays the same I only had more free time.

But those are moments wich repeats in the near future, so the realy great moments were, as my mom came home from hospital, the way home wich originaly is 3km but I use to drive trough the countryside (40km) and enjoying the sunset, the warm air when I push back my roof (Mx-5).

Enjoying the moments with my best friend a nice bottle of bear, and the moment I finish an exam...

reading someone is interested in my work and realy enjoying my life at the moment... :drinks:

My family makes me happy. I have been with my wife since high school. She is great. Quick with a joke or a smart remark. She is also one hell of a Soldier. She has been serving her country for the last 18 years. Hoping she makes E-8. She is one of the top people in the running.

My oldest son, he is my clone. Ask any of the CA staff who have been to my place. I recently with FastCargos help got a laptop for my oldest. Right now he is flying SF2 and loving it.

My youngest son he is more of an outdoors type. Loves to ride his bike. He has also picked up on my love for bbqing and cooking. He is a great assistant.

Then my twins, Sarah and Haleigh. They are a riot but a hand full. It amazes me how much they are two peas in a pod. They do everything together. It fun to just sit and watch them play.

I can't imagine a life without them.

What makes you happy?

Grandchildren.

Empty house syndrome.

Liftoff.

A roller (Tower, Waco 29, confirm we are on the ground, please)

The smooth air around thunderstorms.

Afterburners.

Compile succeeded.

Rain.

Drifting on a hammock on a Sunday afternoon.

The natural beauty that surrounds us daily.

A knowing look from a true friend.

Sharing an ice cold beer with the same.

Sunsets.

The really talented people that you meet and are lucky enough to recognize just how talented they are.

CA.

Saddling up for a Saturday flight or two in my WOV Thud.

The USAF.

America.

Family.

God and the peace that passes all human understanding......

My wife and kids. Yes, sometimes they can be the source of aggravation, but mostly, I love spending time with them, even if it takes time away from other things.

Secondly, getting some air...especially solo. "High Flight" comes to mind...

FC

Being over 100 nautical miles offshore, and sharing the experience with friends....

The experience of having several hundred pounds of angry Marlin or Tuna smacking a lure trolled right in the prop wash, and watching it rip hundreds of yards of line off a reel, in an insane dash for the horizon...

Sunrise and sunset at sea....

Running at night on flat-calm seas under a stary sky, seeing the stars above reflected on the ocean's surface, so one cannot tell where the earth ends, and the sky begins....

Feeling the hairs stand up on the back of one's neck, when a huge swordfish begins slowly moving off with a bait drifted several hundred feet below, at the very edge of the abyss, in the dark hours before dawn....

Running before angry seas and howling winds, making it safely back to port, and knowing that you've cheated the reaper, yet again...

Edited by Fubar512

lots, but right now its having a new, funded contract starting on Monday!

Being over 100 nautical miles offshore, and sharing the experience with friends....

The experience of having several hundred pounds of angry Marlin or Tuna smacking a lure trolled right in the prop wash, and watching it rip hundreds of yards of line off a reel, in an insane dash for the horizon...

Sunrise and sunset at sea....

Running at night on flat-calm seas under a stary sky, seeing the stars above reflected on the ocean's surface, so one cannot tell where the earth ends, and the sky begins....

Feeling the hairs stand up on the back of one's neck, when a huge swordfish begins slowly moving off with a bait drifted several hundred feet below, at the very edge of the abyss, in the dark hours before dawn....

Running before angry seas and howling winds, making it safely back to port, and knowing that you've cheated the reaper, yet again...

Right on, FUBAR. I forgot to mention how good it feels to have felt the sickly breath of the Grim Reaper tickle your backbone and then to spit in his eye...

It is the reason fools rush in, and that we all come back for more......following that experience, nothing is taken for granted and all other issues pale in comparison.

HooooRaaaahhhhh!