Sign in to follow this  
:FI:Biggles3

Wing Tip Some Sugestion...

Hay guys...

For starters i would like to say that i have sent a few e:mails to dante@thunder-works.com ( on a different subject to this post) and after i week i still havnt i havnt had a reply yet. Is ther a different addy that i can e:mail to get in touch with the devs?

Anyway onto the perpose of this post..

I am a avid il2 FB player and i think one of things that i would like to see in JT is Wing Tip smoke.. now i know that this is a LONG way down the list of things to do and the devs are a long way from inplementing this... But its somthing to remember. In FB its very helpfull when your flying in full real mode to locate friendlies and formate on them.

and the other reason i think it should be included is the fact that doing airobatics trailing smoke is just damn cool. Even more fun when your doing formation airobatics with a friend :D .

Just somthing to think about. :P :blink::blink:

Anyway JT is lookings amazing.

Hahaha, I don't mean to tease you, but using wingtip smoke to spot each other on a FULL REAL server strikes me as funny. Wing tip smoke is a nice feature though.

Another nice smoke effect to have would be spotter's smoke, either triggered by a waypoint to appear on the map to simulate ground troops signaling for fire, or even better, to have ground units actually aim the smoke at targets and call for fire. That would be great, Jane's USAF had this feature I believe. I don't know if any planes in this sim carried marking rockets, but that would be nice too, the lead could mark targets for his flight to hammer.

Yes i now what you mean.. it is a bit funny realy.. Thing is obviosly your moniter cant match the resolution of your eyes in real life ;) so planes tend to dissapear very quickly indeed and smoke is realy usefull for finding them again..

exspecialy people whos eyesight isnt perfect.

also thats a great idea for smoking a target. would be very usefull specialy for online Co-op missions ect..

What is needed is a system that makes aircraft visible at realistic distances - yet takes into account the sizes of those aircraft - and possibly aspect in a simplified manner.

for example - i was recently reading about some air force exercises where the opfor were flying F-5's - against eagles. The F-5 fliers had a HUGE visual advantage because they could spot the eagles much earlier than they could be spotted.

some people wonder about this:

only at high zoom levels in IL2 for example - is it that we are viewing the world as at actual size - assuming a sort of average distance from players head to monitor.

It is a narrow field of view.

Yet - in the wide - more fish eyed lense view - this better represents the field of view the player would truelly have if they were actually in the cockpit.

Because right now, as you read your monitor your eyes can see in detail over the monitor area and peripheral out almost to your ears.

Perhaps a way to combine the two would be to reduce forshortening - the reduction of size with distance- of aircraft in the game - actual size at close ranges - yet slightly larger than life at longer ranges in an attemp to get the best of both worlds - truer identification of objects at a distance - yet being able to view in more wide angle mode.

Some players speculate that IL2 uses this approach in their forums.

I'm not sure if we'd do something like this -at the moment there is no fiddling with the geometry at distance.

Hrm hrmm.... sorry but do you know a device called a radar??

What about using your radar in the cockpit?! <_<

Gee, radar? Could that be that electronic device that only scans forward in a 60 degree arc out of 360 degrees around your aircraft?

The Mark 1 eyeball is required to see things that your radar can not pick up if your playing a realistic flight sim.

Or do you fly all your missions just turning in circles trying to pick up a contact, it's kind of hard to make it to your waypoints that way.