Sign in to follow this  
Southside Bucky

The Strutters Ball!

Hi fella's.

Just Thought the long awaited release of the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter warranted some kinda acknowledgement... :yes:

The combined efforts of Dagaith, Sinbad, Peter01, Laton and P10ppy has produced not only one of the most needed, but also one of the finest FE add-on aircraft ever made!

Apart from the stunningly accurate model, I think the cockpit (created by Sinbad) deserves an extra special mention...It's a true work of art. :clapping:

Fantastic work, guys, and thank you very much!

Ready?...Let's all go do 'The Strutters Ball'... :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Edited by Southside Bucky

A beautiful model. And a very important aircraft to boot. Great job, guys.

Thank you to the entire team!

What a great addition with a quality cockpit. I love the compass!

Excellent work! She's a beauty! Those new rear gunners that you guys have been installing in all the new planes are amazing. So realistic looking.

I seem to be having a problem with the rudder though. The rudder appears to be reversed. I tried reverse oriention and nothing seems to work. Right rudder yaws the plane to the right just the physical rudder is reversed. How do I correct the rudder oriention? Also, the rudder seems to be almost useless. Not a whole lot of reaction when adding full rudder. The plane tends to do a very slow barrel roll with just the rudder rather than the desired yaw effect.

Other than that it's a beautiful model. Nice detail and skins. The new clerget sound file is a winner too.drinks.gif

Dunno 'bout the rudder reversal, Quack, but I thought the rudder could do with a bit more play too.

In the DATA.INI, scroll down to 'Rudder' (It's near the bottom). I changed mine to read:

[Rudder]

SystemType=CONTROL_SURFACE

InputName=YAW_CONTROL

ReverseInput=TRUE

MaxDeflection=75.0 <-----------Edit these two lines.

MinDeflection=75.0 <-----------

Makes the plane a bit more manoeuvrable...See what you think.

This corrects the Strutters Model Rudder reversal only. It does not add any more Deflection, you will have to do that yourselfs as Bucky as indicated.

This corrects the Strutters Model Rudder reversal only. It does not add any more Deflection, you will have to do that yourselfs as Bucky as indicated.

Thanks for the fix Panama Red. As far as adding more deflection, it doesnt seem to have any effect on the yaw value at all.

Actually, after a bit more testing, I think I've settled on a min/max deflection of 75.0...It works for me.

Bear in mind though, you don't really want this plane turning on a sixpence (or should I say a dime?)...The Strutter wasn't reknowned for its manoeuvrability. :no:

PS. I've just edited my previous post with the new setting.

Hi lads...

Firstly let me thank you all in the Community for the most excellently modelled Strutter..Ive been waiting for this one for such a long time and had spoke to Dagaith about it a few times in the past..good job lads...

Just had a chance to fly her this morning but unfortunately ive encountered a problem..As most of you know i run a very low spec machine by todays standards..(Athalon 1800+) with 1 gig DDR ram and an old Radeon 9800 Se Video Card and normally, with settings and graphics on High first Eagles runs pretty well without lag but when I took the Strutter up this morning (havent changed any of my usual settings!) The lag was so bad whilst trying to fly that the game was unplayable....could this be due to the High Rez Skins> IF so is there anything I can do about it apart from turning my Graphic Settings down? I tries Stock Skin and same results unfortunately and as a final check I tried an Albatross on a single mission and all was running smoothly again!!! Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Sorry to be a pain as I love the model..any ideas chaps? All help gratefully appreciated....Thanks to you all for your hard work...

Best wishes...

Sockboy (Rab Watson)

Fife

Scotland

Edited by sockboy

Actually, after a bit more testing, I think I've settled on a min/max deflection of 75.0...It works for me.

Bear in mind though, you don't really want this plane turning on a sixpence (or should I say a dime?)...The Strutter wasn't reknowned for its manoeuvrability. no.gif

PS. I've just edited my previous post with the new setting.

With that being said bucky, for some reason my Strutter rolls like an F-16. And with hardly any rudder it always falls out of control. I wonder why I'm the only one with this rudder problem. Changing the deflection values had no effect at all.dntknw.gif

Hi lads...

Firstly let me thank you all in the Community for the most excellently modelled Strutter..Ive been waiting for this one for such a long time and had spoke to Dagaith about it a few times in the past..good job lads...

Just had a chance to fly her this morning but unfortunately ive encountered a problem..As most of you know i run a very low spec machine by todays standards..(Athalon 1800+) with 1 gig DDR ram and an old Radeon 9800 Se Video Card and normally, with settings and graphics on High first Eagles runs pretty well without lag but when I took the Strutter up this morning (havent changed any of my usual settings!) The lag was so bad whilst trying to fly that the game was unplayable....could this be due to the High Rez Skins> IF so is there anything I can do about it apart from turning my Graphic Settings down? I tries Stock Skin and same results unfortunately and as a final check I tried an Albatross on a single mission and all was running smoothly again!!! Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Sorry to be a pain as I love the model..any ideas chaps? All help gratefully appreciated....Thanks to you all for your hard work...

Best wishes...

Sockboy (Rab Watson)

Fife

Scotland

I used a picture program to reduce my skins from 2048 to 1024. I'm sure that's your problem. They can be resized down to 512 if you need to.

With that being said bucky, for some reason my Strutter rolls like an F-16. And with hardly any rudder it always falls out of control. I wonder why I'm the only one with this rudder problem. Changing the deflection values had no effect at all.dntknw.gif

I believe she rolls too fast. Probably something to to with these values, as posted by Wild_Elmo:

Clb Roll moment due to sideslip

Clp Roll moment due to roll rate (roll damping)

Clr Roll moment due to yaw rate

Cnp Yaw moment due to roll rate

And these dealing with the ailerons:

Cldc Roll moment due to control surface deflection

Cndc Yaw moment due to control surface deflection

They're all interconnected, so you have to play with changing them by using Wrench's excellent example for how to do it (so idiot Heck doesn't forget what he changedrofl.gif ), copying the line and using // to rem out the old line. It's a lot of trial and error until you get the effects you want. Also, at SLPowerDry=111855.0, she has the 150 hp of a Bentley Rotary, not the SLPowerDry=96941.0 of the 130 hp Clerget. From what I've read the Strutter was considered underpowered for her size, and fell out of the 2 seat fighter role very quickly after the appearance of the Albatros fighters, being used mostly for long range reconnaisance (especially by the French who used many, many more than the British) and for bombing.

Looks like they took the Bently 150 HP from these sources: http://www.worldwar1...bc/sopwstru.htm

I stand corrected. Time for a new engine, I think. The Clerget 145 9Bc. Thanks for the info, Panama Red. Most of the sources I've seen said 130 Clerget, but I like this one better. Think I'll do some research on that model. Thanks again.

Hiya Heck....Lads...

Thanks for the reply and the Wisdom Heck..resized the skins to 1024 and hey presto...its now flying smoothly again..just had a great flight there..lovely aircraft...

Cheers again for the help mate..appreciated...

Sockboy

Clb Roll moment due to sideslip

Clp Roll moment due to roll rate (roll damping)

Clr Roll moment due to yaw rate

Cnp Yaw moment due to roll rate

I got everthing to work now, even the rudder, by adding to all the above values. Everthing is a bit too sensitive and has too much reaction to the control inputs. I'll just keep decreasing the values till I get it to be a dog to flygrin.gif . Unless someone is working on an update for the flight model. Or am I the only one with a flight model problem?

Hi guys-

I'm glad to see you pitch in. I know of no active work on the FM, so these tweaks are for the good. I'm still mired in conversion of the 2048 down to 512. Believe me it is more complicated than one might first believe. I really had no intention fo staying in 2048 when this started.

I'll continue with that, while you all improve the FM.

There was a real agenda item for getting teamwork on this, so it seems that is now real.

I hope it continues.

The more I work on this the more I appreciate the effort TK and his team put into the game.

This is more complicated than rigging a Clipper ship in a bottle! At least there you can see what you are doing as you do it.

Stay tuned for the rest of the skin pack and the 1B2/9700 series.

Meanwhile, have fun!

All my books show the 130hp engine too. I guess that the 150hp Bentley was not as common as the 130hp Clerget.

From the aerodrome website, these are the different engines installed in Strutters. Lots of variation here. Too bad they didn't give numbers per engine type.

Clerget 9Z, 110 hp

Clerget 9B, 130 hp

Clerget 9Ba, 135 hp

Clerget 9Bb, 135 hp

Clerget 9Bc, 145 hp

Le Rhône 9J, 110 hp

Le Rhône 9Jby, 135 hp

Le Rhône 9C, 80 hp

I'm assuming the 80 hp LeRhone was used in a training version. Don't think I'd want to fly a plane this big on 80hp in combat.rofl.gif

Hey, Sinbad! According to a discussion at the Aerodrome site the French versions were delivered in a silver dope scheme like Nieuport fighters, as well as some in five color camouflage. Are they amongst the skin sets you're working on? Not trying to be pushy, just curious. You've done such beautiful work on these. Thank you so much!

Glad I could help, Sockboy. The Strutter's a beautiful model. Glad you're able to use it.

Boy, Sinbad. You and your team created a lot of community excitement with this release.drinks.gif

Thanks. The project has been in the works for a while.

Yes, both silver dope and five color French skins are in the mix (also CDL for the non-believers and those who bought the first Windsock edition).

First priority is the standard res 512 skins.

The project used 2048 as a starting point to max the quality, but that causes problems when converting down to standard res.

stay tuned.

Hello Sinbad,

The Sopwith Strutter 1 1/2 download package is missing the LoadoutFile Strutter_Loadout.ini. I cannot load any bombs. Am I overlooking something obvious?

OlPaint01

This is the 9400 package (fighter & observation). The 9700 was the RFC bomber version.

Hi PR

If that be the case then we need to edit out the ARMED_RECON and STRIKE roles in the Strutter_DATA.ini to remove the bombing options for this 9400 version. How difficult would it be to make a 9700 version to drop ordinance from? All that would be needed is bomb racks, correct? I would love to have 1-1/2 Strutter as a bomber to fly.

OlPaint01