Sign in to follow this  
Axgrinder

Dayton, Ohio WW1 Dawn Patrol Fly-In 2007 and 2009

OK guys! Here are pictures of the Dawn Patrol Fly-In held every other at the National Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio. I have included pics from 2005 and 2009. I need to find my pics from 2007. I think they are on my computer at work. This year it was held September 25th thru the 27th. Enjoy! All of the planes are of course replicas and most are 7/8 scale with modern engines. but there are some very nice full scale aircraft with actual rotary engines.

IMG_0004.jpg

Seimens Schuckert replica (That's what they call it but it looks nothing like a Schuckert)

IMG_0005.jpg

7/8 scale D7

IMG_0007.jpg

Moraine Saulnier L Parasol

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Parasol with N17.

IMG_0011.jpg

7/8 scale DH2

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

7/8 Italian Spad 13. Can you guess whose paint scheme? Hint: Fast Italian car

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Fokker EIII 7/8 scale

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Actual original Gnome rotary engine running!

IMG_0047.jpg

Nieuport 12 two seat recon plane. This actually came out BEFORE the N11 Bebe!

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Nice line up of assorted allied aircraft!

IMG_0052.jpg

Full scale D7 - Udet's of course! On taxi for take off.

IMG_0053.jpg

Full scale Fokker D8 on taxi for take off!

IMG_0054.jpg

Who's plane was this again? Duh! Full scale Dr1 ready for flight.

IMG_0056.jpg

Up, Up and away!

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

WW1 German re-enactor on his post!

IMG_0069.jpg

D7 up close!

IMG_0073.jpg

Se5a preping for take off.

IMG_0077.jpg

Belgian N23.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Anthony Fokker's trophy case!

These following pictures are from 2005!

P1010037.jpg

N27

P1010040.jpg

Curtiss Jenny

P1010044.jpg

Where have I seen this one before?

P1010045.jpg

This one has always been one of my favorits to show up to the event!

P1010051.jpg

Full scale Dr1 with a real rotary engine!!

P1010052.jpg

P1010070.jpg

This is my all time favorite plane that has shown up to the Dawn Patrol. A full scale Fokker D8 with a rotary engine!

P1010072.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010043.jpg

I think this is a DH4 7/8 replica. I can't remember.

There you go folks! Hope you liked em!

Edited by Axgrinder

WHOA, THis is mind boggling. Great pictures you posted and thanks for sharing them.

clapping.gif Well, that made me drool. Now I have someting else to save money for. Thanks for the peek at a great show.good.gif

I appologize for the misleading title. These pics are from 2005 and 2009. Glad you like them.

Edited by Axgrinder

Do some of these replicas have modern airfoils? I noticed this especially with the Parasol, and maybe the Neiuports and the EIII as well. If so, it's probably a good idea for safety's sake.

-Ben

Edited by Ben C

Wish I could have been there. Great pics Axgrinder, thanks for sharing Sir.

Cheers!

Lou

Do some of these replicas have modern airfoils? I noticed this especially with the Parasol, and maybe the Neiuports and the EIII as well. If so, it's probably a good idea for safety's sake.

-Ben

Yes. They all have modern control surfaces. There was however, one EIII that showed up one year that used wing warping I will see if I can find a picture of it.

Here are pics of a full scale Sopwith Tripe with an original re built rotary engine that was there in 07.

Guest British_eh

Hi there:

Thanks for the pics. Great quality.

British_eh

Great pics Axgrinder

Sure wish I could have gone too

Thanks for sharing

I notice the Moraine Saulnier Parasol has French roundels on the wings and British on the fusalage

Are they in the process of re-skinning or was this historical?

Yes. They all have modern control surfaces. There was however, one EIII that showed up one year that used wing warping I will see if I can find a picture of it.

Well, actually I meant that it looks as if the wings have flat or convex bottom surfaces as modern wings do. At the time these planes were designed they didn't understand lift properly and designed wings that "scooped" the air. I can't think of anything earlier than about the Junkers D1 where this was not the case.

I know for sure that the Parasol at the least had a much different wing cross section than the one pictured above.

The pictures of the tripe there show just what I mean, as those wing designs seem to be original.

-Ben

Great pics Axgrinder

Sure wish I could have gone too

Thanks for sharing

I notice the Moraine Saulnier Parasol has French roundels on the wings and British on the fusalage

Are they in the process of re-skinning or was this historical?

Good Eye! I didn't catch that. It was supposed to be painted up to represent a French Squadron but i don't remember which one they said.

I can't get my head around why anyone would build a 7/8th's size replica. For the sake of just a bit more material why not go for the full thing? :dntknw:

I can't get my head around why anyone would build a 7/8th's size replica. For the sake of just a bit more material why not go for the full thing? :dntknw:

Yes why indeed?

IT ALL HAS TO DO WITH AIRCRAFT CLASSIFICATION AND THE SIZE OF ENGINES AVAILABLE. SMALLER SCALE AIRCRAFT CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS ULTRALIGHTS OR EXPERIMENTAL AND SO ARE NOT SUBJECT TO ALOT OF THE RESTRICTIONS FROM THE FAA AS PLANES CLASSIFIED AS PERSONAL AIRCRAFT.

IT ALL HAS TO DO WITH AIRCRAFT CLASSIFICATION AND THE SIZE OF ENGINES AVAILABLE. SMALLER SCALE AIRCRAFT CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS ULTRALIGHTS OR EXPERIMENTAL AND SO ARE NOT SUBJECT TO ALOT OF THE RESTRICTIONS FROM THE FAA AS PLANES CLASSIFIED AS PERSONAL AIRCRAFT.

Not true at all! You can build an aircraft weighing up to 12499# and classify it experimental. The limit for ultralight is under 254# and none of these 7/8 scale planes are that light. In addition, all aircraft are subject to the same FAA regulations although experimental may have a few extra hoops to jump through. The real reason these aircraft are built to 7/8 scale is that the engines used in the original aircraft produced much more thrust than their modern counterparts. A typical Fokker DR1 had a 110hp Oberussel that swung a 9 foot prop. This produced considerable more thrust than a modern 0235 108 Hp Lycoming with a 6ft prop. Modern engines spin at 2700rpm for max hp. this is too fast for the big props. If you put the 108hp Lycoming in a full size Dr1 it would be very underpowered and dangerous. Thus the reason you build a 7/8 scale Dr1 and the 108hp engine is just right. The full Scale planes need either the real engine...Qubic bucks, or a really big modern Lycoming that just will not fit in that small cowl.

Omega

Yeah, that Fokker D VIII is a real star! Nice Nupes, too.

The Siemens-Schuckert could be meant to be the D.I, which looked like a mix

of the early Fokkers and Nieuports.