Sign in to follow this  
SortofRed

Vista, OFF and dual core question

Hi,

I've searched this topic and understand that OFF needs to bind affinity to one cpu to run best. I notice low frame rates at time although I have settings at the recommended if not less levels to promote speed. However, I do have the AMD dual core optimizer installed too. Is that sufficient, or do I need to actually bind the game? If so how do I do that as when I run OFF and then start up the Task manager, OFF does not show up as a running program! TrackIR does (which is appropriate) but OFF is not there (nor CFS3 either). I also have experienced the warp issue which is particularly irritating to lose a pilot that was doing well. I do not use the auto-trim function and it seems sporadic but still is maddening to lose a successful pilot because of it!

Sorry I have no answer but as I am Vista/dual core I am interested in any responses.

I have AMD CPU,and after installing the AMD optimizer patch,all stutters went away,it runs smoothly even though my machine it's not for certain

a top "gamer" thing....:good:

Hi,

I've searched this topic and understand that OFF needs to bind affinity to one cpu to run best. I notice low frame rates at time although I have settings at the recommended if not less levels to promote speed. However, I do have the AMD dual core optimizer installed too. Is that sufficient, or do I need to actually bind the game?

Not necessarily. If you think that the sim is not running smoothly enough then you can try it, otherwise...

I've a Intel Core2Duo and having stuttering (due to graphic card drivers) in XP but in Win7 is running quite smooth with no affinity.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=37997

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=44947

Again, everything is relative. What you might consider as Low Frame Rates might not be. I'm in XP, with an intel Quad, but it's smooth. It's a known fact, OFF likes speed, but at 2.4Ghtz, it might be able to build a bridge, but it's marginal for OFF.

The ( Z ) Key, allows you to monitor your FPS while running OFF

In Campaign Mass Take-offs. . ie . . 5 aircraft to your left, and 3 to your right. . Figure 12 FPS

Only 3 in the Flight . . 18

Flying at 12,000 . . . 35 but smooth

Big Furball . . . 15 but smooth

You go into the single digits on take-off, your sliders are too high

Uncleal,

Quick question are you using an Intel processor or an AMD one, the reason I ask is I am considering upgrading to an AMD quad core system and wondered if you (or anyone) knows if the AMD optimizer works for the quad core as well as the dual core.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Setting Single Affinity for best OFF performance is not necessarily true.

I keep the dual processor running, max out AA at 8X, turn off PHYSx, turn off AF, and maximize the rest for performance and I am pulling 32 FPS at almost all times, 1920X1080 res.

I don't generally run the game at 1920X1200, because the performance starts to suffer again. Its amazing what a few more pixels vertically can do to a frame rate.

I do not have a top of the line laptop either in terms of CPUs, but I do have a very good GPU which helps enormously (specs below)

Although OFF likes earlier faster processors (particularly Intel versus AMD) above 3 GHz, you can get very good peformance from dual and quads.

I have watched the processor load through my G19 Keyboard, and the both level out at roughly 40-45% at steady state conditions during flight. Generally, the first processor always spikes during load up and at start, until my laptop can adjust the processor load.

Make sure you ADJUST the CFS3.xml to a minimum of 30 FPS though, or you willing get choppy frame rates, which I do believe may be your problem.

Also, turn off some of your graphics cards advanced features, because it will tear down your framerates as well.

I recommend use of graphics card tweaking ability such as nHancer 2.5.1 because it also specification for individual game profiles better than nTune and others.

Here is what I run in regards to performance specs to help if need a comparison:

Gateway FX P-97805u laptop:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

Other OS Description: System Manufacturer Gateway

System Model P-7805u

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) (NO Overclock)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 9C.17.00, 12/16/2008

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Video Card: Single GeForce 9800M GTS

Video Memory: 1 GB

Firstly I'm running an Intel, but I'm curious, do you have need of a Quad, certinaly not for OFF, it's happy on less, in fact to go + 3Ghtz in a Quad is darn expensive, AMD included. Are you looking towards the future ?

Get me by the short and curlies as to the Optimizer Patch

Uncleal,

Yes I am looking to the future, particularly Deus Ex3 when it comes out as I think I may need a faster processor to get the most out of that game.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972.