Sign in to follow this  
Stiffy

News From The Front!

Dont know if these are any interest to anyone. I have a complete run of this magazine from 1916 to beyond the end of the war. Let me know if you want any more, plenty of stories/images not published anywhere else.

Warillustrated03-1.jpgWarillustrated.jpg

Great stuff Stiffy! I have a few of these myself as well as about six months worth of "Land and Water" magazine from 1917. What would be outstanding is if you would pick an article a week that would be of interest, then scan and post it here for us all to enjoy.

Cheers!

Lou

Wonderful "time-tunnel", Stiffy!

How wonderfully naive the appearance of visual communication was those days!

And they even got a pic of me in my beloved Albatros, hawking down on a two-seater.

Great stuff!

Ok, I cant find the stuff from 1916 anywhere.... but I have from Feb 1917. I'll just go through in order picking out anything about aviation. If anyone wants anything non aviation let me know... battle reports etc.

Out of interest can anyone identify the crashed german plane? Looks like an albatross tail plane... iron crosses on wheels.

FEB/MARCH 1917

WI28thFeb1917.jpg

WI3rdMarch1917.jpg

WI10thMarch1917.jpg

By all means.... please post as much as you like. WE LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!

OvS

Terrific information.

Very much a "daily newspaper" feel to the War. Personally, I love this..

Royce

MARCH/APRIL 1917

Any chace of mini airships in OFF? no.gif

I'm no expert on Italian planes.. anyone know what the sea plane is?WI24thMarch191702.jpgWI24thMarch1917.jpgWI31stMarch1917.jpg

WI7thApril1917.jpg

APRIL/MAY 1917

Mention of a promising young german lieutenant... and a new Fokker... Focker D6 perhaps? Hard to tell from drawings. Doesnt look like they had much to work with drawing an albatross either!

WI28thApril1917.jpgW19thMay1917.jpgWI26thMay1917.jpg

This has really the naive touch of the old days. But: is that really Lt. von Richthofen - doesn't look like him at all.

And Lt. Baldamus became Baldamas - the press, often faster than they can think. Lol!

And that drawing of the Fokker scout makes it large enough for three - great, this stuff!

Hmm yes I was wondering about the Richtofen picture. I had wondered if it was perhap a much younger shot of him as a cadet? This would explain facial difference... possibly. Several things show this picture is not right for the time...

No pour le Merite (got after 17 i think?)

No double breasted cavalry uniform

Hat is rigid (richtofen like many other pilots ripped the wire out of his hat)

Biggest problem i have with it is his cleft chin... although this may be the light as richtofen had a very slight crease and undoubtedly put on a little weight as he got older.

I think it is him, but not a good picture.

If you compare the shape of his ear and top lip, it is very similar. I think it's him, but if the picture hadn't said so, I'd never have guessed.

post-45899-12545765963028.jpg

The boulevard press would sometimes do things like that with little care.

They need to show a picture of Richthofen, but have none - so they use

a guy looking a bit similar. In those days, with noe TV or Internet -

who could have proved it to be wrong?

I think, the Blue Max was first given for 16 or even less victories, but just

when MvR had reached the mark, they pushed it up.

He was a little disappointed about that, but as we all know, he made it so

much further, he could have got 4 of them.

Edited by Olham

Richthofenlothar.jpgUnless fo course its a picture of Lothar..... The uniforn is certainly right for lothar as he was a dragoon not an Ulan.

It bears slightly more resemblance to him than manfred in my opinion (only younger). It would be an easy mistake for the press to make, after all if they had a picture of lieutnant Baron Von Richtofen... that could be either of them as they were both Frieherrs (litterally 'free lord' / Baron).

If it is Manfred then it must have been taken before 1911 when he joined the Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander der III. von Russland, from which point he wore the distinctive double breasted uniform. This could explain differences in appearance as he would be a cadet in his mid to late teens.

Heres a pic of lothar (possibly older???)

Anyway... its definitely NOT a picture of Manfred during the war thats for certain.

Edited by Stiffy

lol, and "Hans Franel" is really Wilhelm Frankl. Allied didnt have obviously first hand information that time, what makes even interesting. And that "Manfred von Richthofen" photo is really not less than other famous ace "Fritz Otto Bernert." http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/bernert.php

This has really the naive touch of the old days. But: is that really Lt. von Richthofen - doesn't look like him at all.

And Lt. Baldamus became Baldamas - the press, often faster than they can think. Lol!

And that drawing of the Fokker scout makes it large enough for three - great, this stuff!

Ha! I knew it! No, I didn't know it - you knew it, Paarma! But I saw it wasn't MvR.

You know your aces, Paarma!

lol, and "Hans Franel" is really Wilhelm Frankl. Allied didnt have obviously first hand information that time, what makes even interesting. And that "Manfred von Richthofen" photo is really not less than other famous ace "Fritz Otto Bernert." http://www.theaerodr...any/bernert.php

Good lord... your right! And if anyone still has any doubt, here is the original photograph the image has been taken from! Sorry i dont have a larger version.

fritzottobernert2_160.jpg

Mystery solved. I'd be interested if anyone spots any other discrepencies in 'The War Illustrated' Clearlyintelligence wasnt particularly good.

I'm sure, the military intelligence was better than that.

But this is the press, and they make up anything for a good story.

I like the illustrations. In those days, maybe photography at the frontline would have been

too difficult? And the illustrators where pretty good.

Great Stuff! Keep it coming!

Thank´s for sharing!

Im not sure about old printing technics but looks like these illustrations was using quite simple rasterizing technic., and the photograph look like drawing in some way. It looks also that the photographs are retouched. Example the eye´s and edge lines of the faces are fixed later. This was typical that time.

Wow, i got to say these illustrations are very interesting!

I'm sure, the military intelligence was better than that.

But this is the press, and they make up anything for a good story.

I like the illustrations. In those days, maybe photography at the frontline would have been

too difficult? And the illustrators where pretty good.

Well spotted Paarma. clapping.gif

I stand fully corrected.

But quickly changing the subject, have you noticed the anti sub balloon with the aircraft cockpit slung beneath? Comes complete with land anchor. Looks pure madness, but then again, if there wasn't a war on, it might have been fun to 'potter' about in. I'd just need convinced it wasn't all held together with cow gum and sticky tape.

Since there was a war on, I wonder what the drill was for taking evasive action. Join the army I expect. lol.gif

edit - and 10/10 for the pictures. Pure treasure, with so much incidental detail, meaningless to the masses, but priceless revelationtion to some.

Edited by Flyby PC

Yes almost all of the images are photographs but a large proportion of them have been touched up. This is probably due to the unreliability of the cameras of the time which photographed onto glass plates instead of film, often the images are over exposed and to washed out for printing. Also the process of transfering the image to a brass printing plate often alters the appearance making it look more like a painting.

A particularly bad example of touching up is the 'photo' of guynemer inspecting a kill which has clearly had alot of ink added lmaking the image flat and painting like.

You can spot the real illustrations however as they tend to be overly dramatic and absurdly patriotic, usually featuring hoards of terrified germans surrendering to a single plucky tommy who, against all odds, has managed to develope the physique of a bodybuilder while on trench rations.