Sign in to follow this  
Gremlin_WoH

Next OFF Add On Plane unveiled!

A Fawker Hurricane E.V so to say.

I suppose the obvious question has to be "Why make a Biplane Hurricane?"

(I'm sure they had their reasons?)

"I suppose the obvious question has to be "Why make a Biplane Hurricane?" "

Well, I suppose it was just in case the lower wings fell off: then it would simply continue to fly.

IIRC, it was an experiment to test STOL.

IIRC it was an experiment to increase the ferry range.

Shooting in the dark here, but the Hurricane evolved from a long line of fighters, and since it was the first monoplane to enter service, a crude logic would suggest it evolved from a biplane. Maybe the photo isn't as wierd as it looks.

Big guess on my part, especially because I'm fairly sure that the three bladed prop is not an early or prototype Hurricane.

More lift verses more drag, so I'll be in Panama Red's team please. Quick take off.

On the other hand, with more lift, you can fly slower and make the fuel last longer, so I'm with Jim.

Oh I just don't know....

Jim.

Red.

Red.

Jim.

Toughy. dntknw.gif

Edit - I do know the P is for Prototype, at least I think so. The famous pic of the Mosquito with the air brake had the same.

post-45899-12544973325816.jpg

Edited by Flyby PC

I just got home and looked up this particular plane in the "Hurricane in Action" by Squadron/signal Publications, and they said............................

................it was an experiment to increase the ferry range by filling a second wing with fuel, so JimAtt is correct.Salute.gif

I just got home and looked up this particular plane in the "Hurricane in Action" by Squadron/signal Publications, and they said............................

................it was an experiment to increase the ferry range by filling a second wing with fuel, so JimAtt is correct.Salute.gif

I read The Hurricane Story when I was a kid, don't remember any mention of a biplane.

hurricane_us.jpg

Edited by BirdDogICT

It's not really a biplane, because the second was removalbe once the plane reached it's designated ferry point. Plus it was only an experimental plane, not an operational plane.

Hey, does anyone READ the words? Gremlin is just kidding - he porked it!

That's a fake with a Fokker D VIII wing.

Hey, does anyone READ the words? Gremlin is just kidding - he porked it!

That's a fake with a Fokker D VIII wing.

Sorry, Olham, it is not a fake. It was an experimental version of the Hawker Hurricane. There were also other versions for example a seaplane version with floats and so on. The Fokker D.VIII wing shape is just a coincidence but could be used to my advantage. But it looks porked indeed.

Cheers

Unbelieveable! It looked so bizarre and totally impossible - as if REVELL had stuck two

kits from different periods together.

But seeing it's an English aircraft, and knowing their sense for the bizarre... :grin: