Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Lost kills

drinks.gif Got into a position to shoot up 2 sitters in a flight of 4 as they were flying straight and level, no evasive action.( Jasta 3 Flying Albatross D-3s) The wing was just hangin back (3 other D-3s) so I closed The BE2c bursts into flame an engine fire and slants down in straight and level flight. Nose to the left and the remaining ammo goes into the other tommy BE2c chunks flyoff light smoke streams back as he drops out of formation and sinks towards the ground below. 2 More a/c left to go. What does my wing do they shoot up both of my smoking BE2cs

and let the rest go back to France. They get the kills and I get Zippo. Pilot Emil von Tripiz, still has only 1 Kill. suicide.gif

You're lucky that your crew even engaged. Can't count the number of times my wingies have been unable to catch the enemy BE2c formations. Fokker Eindeckers flown by AI just don't have the performance. BTW the best way to kill a BE2c is to come at it from behind and to the side, flying the the same direction as it is. Then stamp rudder towards him, so swing the nose around, and use opposite bank to keep your sights on him. You now have an unobstructed view of both crew members and the engine. You can kill both crew and flame the plane with about 25 shots.

Carrick, when you're leader, you must lead!

Call them back to you (R = Return), and only assign target you want them to attack.

If you give a free attack order without a target marked, they'll attack anything.

When I approach two-seaters and want them for myself, I press "Return" several times,

and do my attack. When my ammo is out, I mark them a target and press "Attack = A".

Then they may have the rest.:cool:

Edited by Olham

Olham, you are it seems one of the masters of commanding the wingmen. Your description above is incomplete. For my sake and anyone else who does not know could you go through the process of assigning targets for the wingies step by step? Or, if this info is made clear someplace else, Tips and Cheats, could you copy and paste or provide a link? You have mentioned assigning many times and it does seem to be little known process. Thank you, Jim

My way is dead simple:

You press your "select target" key (don't know the default one, see under "controls", mine is put on joystick).

In your TAC (which has to be on for this, I'm afraid), you now see the previously red dot of one craft as a yellow.

Also you may have a yellow bracket shown at the selected craft (the bracket has to be "on" - see "controls").

If you don't want brackets, switch them off - it still works, as long as you have the TAC on; you must now look

for the yellow specs.

If there are too many craft around you, you MAY press pause, and click through your enemies, until the desired

craft is marked. Of course an immersion killer.

If you got a target marked, that you want your wingmen to attack, press the "Attack" command.

If you want them to stop and come back, press the "Return" command.

If you want them to attack a different target, mark that one, and press "Attack" again.

Your wingmen can also be ordered a general "Attack" order, when nothing is marked. Therefor, the enemies have

to appear as RED dots - then they are close enough. When you press "Attack" now, your wings will attack a craft

of their own choice; probably the nearest.

Your direct wingman no. 1 will stay with you, if he can. If you press the "Help" command, he will attack the craft

next to you. He can be a great help - but he might also fire at the same craft you are hunting, when it is the closest

to you. To make the wingman stay with you, press "Help" right after "Attack" - that should keep him with you.

But when there are a lot of enemy fighters, he may get forced away from you.

I have put the wingman commands on the joystick base buttons. So I can use them very fast, and often effective.

Not always though. When your wingmen are carried away by the fighting, and appear as white specs on the TAC,

they will not "see" your commanding signs and carry on doing what they do.

Edit/PS: Oh, and don't forget to set the TAC for the right target type! There are "aircraft", "buildings", "vehicles" and

"ships". If you want to attack a railyard, you have to switch to "buildings" or "vehicles".

Edited by Olham

Olham, thank you. I have printed this and placed it into my OFF book. I'll be improving my leadership skills thanks to you.

It's only a bit circumstancial at the beginning; after short time, you will

get used to where which key is. I don't think about it anymore.

But remeber: your wings can only understand any orders, when they are

within a range to "see" your waving and pointing.

Once a flight is split up all over Flanders, they wont get them. Have fun!

drinks.gif Got into a position to shoot up 2 sitters in a flight of 4 as they were flying straight and level, no evasive action.( Jasta 3 Flying Albatross D-3s) The wing was just hangin back (3 other D-3s) so I closed The BE2c bursts into flame an engine fire and slants down in straight and level flight. Nose to the left and the remaining ammo goes into the other tommy BE2c chunks flyoff light smoke streams back as he drops out of formation and sinks towards the ground below. 2 More a/c left to go. What does my wing do they shoot up both of my smoking BE2cs

and let the rest go back to France. They get the kills and I get Zippo. Pilot Emil von Tripiz, still has only 1 Kill. suicide.gif

"Then you the satisfaction of knowing you served the Fatherland"