Sign in to follow this  
NS13Jarhead

Mistaken Identity

Last night I was flying a late-1916 Jasta 5 Albatross and came upon three pusher type aircraft below and left of me on a crossing course during the last leg of my patrol. Since I had full ammo belts, I couldn't pass it up. I figured that they wer DH-2s, because that's all I've been seeing lately. So I dove to attack, and imagine my surprise when they started shooting at me from their rears. Crud - FE2s! I was able to down two and sent my wingman to get the other. Unfortunately, one of them hit my engine numerous times and I no longer had the power to stay airborne. Lucky for me, there were several fields nearby and I took a long, sputtering, low-power decent to a perfect two point landing on one of them. Then I tried something new. Since my engine was still running (although it was kicking and coughing the whole way) I ended up taxiing about two miles to my aerodrome and shut her down in the middle of the field, in front of the hangars. Turns out it's a very nice way to see the countryside.

Note to self, either brush up on aircraft identification or use and pay attention to the labels. I wonder how many other pilots have made that same near fatal error?

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Jarhead Turns out it's a very nice way to see the countryside.

Yep, but you're not the first one to do this.

The artist, formerly known as Gimpyguy, used to tour the terrain in a Sopwith Pup. :grin:

Jarhead I wonder how many other pilots have made that same near fatal error?

Just some days ago, someone posted that here. An ace (was it Lufbery?) got attacked by

another Alied pilot. He could try anything, but the guy wouldn't realise and kept firing at him.

He had to shoot him down.

In the heat of a battle with many craft involved, it must have happened many times.

I wonder how many other pilots have made that same near fatal error?

I know what you mean NS13

Way back in P1 or maybe early P2, I was chasing Hannovers and Albs in a Spad

Hannovers where overpowered back then and it took 10 miles to catch them

When they turned to fight, I pulled up into a hammerhead and dove on them

Spotted what I thought was an Albatross and dove on his 6

Still remember my thought "That Albatross has a very lonf fusa...lage"

yikes.gif Oh crap!!! it's a Hannover!!!

We exchanged fire then I flashed past him

Sure was a shocker

Funny how these OFF experiences stick with you