Sign in to follow this  
Hasse Wind

Tired of always flying over the flat fields of Flanders?

I'm probably not the only OFFer here who has spent most of his time flying (and dying) in the northern part of the Western Front, where most of the squadrons are stationed and the action is the fiercest. Well, I decided it's time for a change and started looking for suitable Jastas and Escadrilles based on as far away as possible from the northern front. I decided to join Jasta 75, stationed in Habsheim close to the Franco-German border in February 1918. It's an average quality Jasta flying the Albatros D.III (OAW), an old plane for the period, but in my opinion better than the D.V or D.Va.

The fighting doesn't seem to be as fierce down there in Alsace compared to what's going on in the north at the same time. Airfields are fewer and there aren't nearly as many squadrons around either. The quality of the units seems to be generally worse than in the north, with plenty of poor or average squadrons, and also the best new planes seem to have gone to the better units in the north. I've mostly encountered some old French Nupes and SPAD's and only once have had to fight against the deadly SPAD XIII's when our Jasta was assigned on a mission that took them to a more northern sector of the front.

The biggest difference must be the terrain. In the north most of the ground is very low and flat. In Alsace (or Elsass as I call it) there are plenty of high hills and deep valleys, and it's really exciting to see the front twisting over the mountains and fly through the valleys chasing Nupes. But you have to really careful with low altitude dogfights, if you don't want to smash into a hill!

I think I'm going to spend some time in Alsace before returning to the witch's cauldron in the north. :cool:

Elsass.jpg

It is beautiful down there. I did a stint with Udet flying EIII's back in 1916. It was quiet and a good place to come to grips with the charcteristics of the monoplane. Enjoyable and relatively quiet.

Since I have two D III OAW pilots, two D V pilots and one D Va pilot right now,

I know what you mean: the D III is just more agile, lighter.

I have been in the Elsass / Alsace with an Albatros D II Jasta, forgot which one.

It is very beautiful there, but dogfighting in the gorges can be a real challenge.

I remember fighting a Nupe, shooting her down, and then: mountain faces left

and right and in front of me!

I did an incredible climb, that would have turned into a mountain ride, if my

wheels would have gone two feet lower - I just made it.

For a man from the marshes, it was quite some experience! :yikes:

I too am an Alsace sector fan..enjoy the more "relaxed" flying and the mountainous scenery. Been hanging around the dromes there for a long time ;>)

Royce

Edited by cptroyce

I've been flying Nieuport 16's out of Lineville (South of Nancy) with Esc 75 .. beautiful mountains, but some harsh weather in August of 1916.

Are all you guys going over to the German side? :yikes:

My experience with the EIII there was early P3. I have pilots for each faction and alternate lately.

I've been flying Nieuport 16's out of Lineville (South of Nancy) with Esc 75 .. beautiful mountains, but some harsh weather in August of 1916.

Are all you guys going over to the German side? :yikes:

So you're the bastard giving me such a hard time! I almost exclusively keep flying Jasta 17 in Oct 1916 to try and survive in the EIII, upgrading to the Halb DII and then the Alb DII. I also love the scenery and on my very low end machine, the dearth of activity in that sector allows me to get playable frame rates until I upgrade my machine. I do get tired of the rain though.

(I do try and fly for the U.S. or Lafayette Esc. sometimes.)

Not sure about the "overrides", but in Workshop, you can say "static wheather" or so.

And then, perhaps you can choose some sunshine or whatever you like in QC?

Don't know though, if the "static wheather" can be chosen.