Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Immersion factor?

Hi chap's,

Do you think it would be a good idea to leave the game once your shot down etc.

It was my first time flying with you all sunday and i indeed did get a bullet in the head after attacking a bosch 2 seater.

I don't know if any one heard me ask if i was good to respawn this is because many moons ago i flew with a Sqd'n in the old CFS2 days and one of the rules was if you go down that was it for that mission.

Now this sounds a bit much when it's you but it adds more immersion to the mission for every one else with less aircraft avalible to complete the task.

Remember, when flying online there are AI aircraft already in the air with your flight. So, if you respawn you will be in a plane that is already in the air. Once all the planes are gone you will no longer respawn so the odds are still balanced. In our game when you are killed your primary pilot loses his life so you are starting with a fresh novice pilot. This way if players are shot down early they don't have to wait for an hour to rejoin. Plus if you have a good run going with a pilot you will be more apt to be a little more careful not to get shot down.

Edited by Axgrinder

Remember, when flying online there are AI aircraft already in the air with your flight. So, if you respawn you will be in a plane that is already in the air. Once all the planes are gone you will no longer respawn so the odds are still balanced. In our game when you are killed your primary pilot loses his life so you are starting with a fresh novice pilot. This way if players are shot down early they don't have to wait for an hour to rejoin. Plus if you have a good run going with a pilot you will be more apt to be a little more careful not to get shot down.

That's answered that then cheers Ax. Salute.gif

Edited by Red-Dog

Well I have a way that works for me. If I respawn and Im in an AI plane that I took over and can help, im probably going to jump in and help someone out. When its time to get the kill let the other guy grab the kill since he is still in original plane.

If I spawn a long way off I tend to auto pilot and not join or race back unless they call for help.

Now on other nights when we are flying for practice then by all means get a new planes and jump right back in.

Thats my theory Firecage, active pilots get the kill.

Beard

Well maybe its old RB3 Online days but I feel bad if I jump in on a kill you have going and I didnt see it. I try to get out of the way when I notice.... im old and not as quick on the uptake. :drinks:

I really am trying to get more into the idea of staying alive and not a game setting on campaign missions. The weirdest things have happened to kill pilots I have ever seen.

90% of my pilot die tho to pushing to hard and not thinking ahead a bit more when im in the DF. :this::idea: . I really need to rethink my tactics alot.

:salute:

If anyone is protecting my six in a dogfight and I overrun a target or lose sight of the target and have to break off then by all means take the shot and put that enemy down! It's much more important for me that the enemy plane goes down quickly or is driven down out of the fight than if I get a kill or not.

If I missed the shot that means they have a future shot on me and in my opinion are free game.......take the shot and I will swing around and pick up your six.

If you feel uncomfortable taking the kill then share it with me. I would rather see you take the kill AND credit than that target or one of his buddies make me a target in the future.

Also, if I heavily damage a target and drive them down I won't always follow them down to get the kill. My reason for that is at that point they are basically out of the fight and will more than likely crash anyway. I don't want to lose my altitude or waste the limited ammo I have. At or above my altitude there are usually enemy that want to kill me!! If I've driven an nme down then I look for the next most serious threat always trying to take the highest, most dangerous target first.

In the end, it's about everyone returning home alive and not how many actual kills you get (well, maybe how many kills you get and return home to tell the story no.gif) .

Dutch

yep,,,if we are striving for realism,,,its kill the enemy,,,and stay alive....plain and simple...

Red Dog:

In Richtofen's Skies we would do the same type of thing sometimes. The event would be organized for three or five fights with limited ammo and if you die or land too damaged to fly that was it...for that mission. While it did lead to some long stretches of being able to do nothing but root for your remaining teammates (if you were the unlucky recipient of a quick golden BB), it also forced you to be more wary and not just zoom into a bad situation secure in the knowledge that you can respawn. And a dogfight event could be set up like that in OFF, too, providing enough human pilots can be mustered to make it fun (four per side is a minimum, IMO). The reason that doesn't work well in the Sunday get-togethers is that, as Axe said, there are AI planes on your side and if you die the game automatically puts you into the next available aircraft...it's not something you do by choice. The only that I can imagine you could stop it would be to exit the game entirely on your death. The way it's set up (only your accomplishments in your original aircraft in any mission count toward your total and in the event of any death your slate is wiped completely clean and starts over at the start of the next mission) works quite well.

For the rest:

If I die on a mission I will fly that next plane the way I would if it was my first. I won't set up an enemy and invite an active pilot in for the coup de gras just because I won't get permanent credit for the kill. As Dutch said, the object is the destruction of the enemy force, not padding scores. You may damage an EA to the point where it's barely flying, but if an active pilot comes in and overshoots his pass because the enemy is slower than he anticipated (after all, he may not realize how badly it's been damaged) it could still get a lucky shot in. If all nearby planes are taken and I respawn far away I check my position and if I can get back to the main action I try to. If not I look to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into wherever I am. And at that point I might even get reckless...after all, I would have nothing to lose.

As far as snaking someone else's kill, I try to avoid it. As I did with Dutch, if I see a friendly engaged with an enemy 1-1 I'll try to assess the situation and only get directly involved if he needs help. Otherwise I hang out and try to position myself so I can render help if he suddenly needs it or to intercept any enemy aircraft that may try to aid their comrade. I've never cared for the gangbanging that used to pervade the Red Baron team servers. Not only is it unsportsmanlike (this is a game, after all), it's not good tactics because it blinds the bangers to potential threats and uses up waaaaaaaay too much ammo on one aircraft. Also, Red Baron's team servers had friendly fire turned off. Not so in OFF. So if three or four people start trying to take out the same enemy, not only can they crash into each other but they can also shoot each other. Not a good thing.