Sign in to follow this  
Stiffy

Mouse look?

I know this may sound stupid but i want to get up and running fast! can anyone tell me how to turn on mouse look? All the videos ive seen feature a virtual cockpit with free head motion, at the moment i can only get locked views with hat switch.... makes it hard to play, and of course i cant see my guages..

Hey Stiffy,

there you are again. Well, as I undertsand it the free head move you see comes from TrackIR systems, not mouse viewing. Almost everybody here uses one I think. If TrackIR is expensive for you (like it is for me), you can try the freeware variation, Freetrack. In this case of course some work is needed but it's not that hard anyway and it's really cheap. And it works quite good too. I can't compare it really with TrackIR. From what I see from videos TrackIR seems to be smoother or I didn't configure Freetrack well. For sure, I can do descent dogfights with minimal cost.

itifonhom

Or use 'Scroll Lock' to toggle the joystick hat to panning view, but Trackir is really the way to go.

Or use 'Scroll Lock' to toggle the joystick hat to panning view, but Trackir is really the way to go.

With the release of TrackIR4, and then v5, TrackIR3 has really dropped in price. You can find it on Ebay quite often for under $50 and it's a huge improvement over any other thing out there, including mouse look, in any game that supports it.

Just checked and here is one "buy now" for $45 with shipping (click)

And TrackIR3 can be updated to the same 6 views as v4 and v5 by simply buying the Vector addition with it's included three dot hat clip, but I've also seen many sold that include the Vector add on.

Cheers!

Yeah..Just echoing the other guys!..If you can sell your Soul to the Devil...it's worth it for TrackIR m8!

Yeah..Just echoing the other guys!..If you can sell your Soul to the Devil...it's worth it for TrackIR m8!

$45 is selling your soul to the devil? :lol:

$45 is selling your soul to the devil? :lol:

Hahahaha...Well, I nearly sold my family into Slavery to get mine.(actually, I did anyway, cos they get right on my Tits!!) :rofl:

Hi, Stiffy

You can do without TrackIR - but wouldn't want to, once you know it.

But here is what you can do as long as you don't have it.

Go to "controls", "View commands", and assign a joystick button to toggle between

"static view angles" and "glide view" (I don't know the correct namings, but you'll find them).

Now, as long as you fly peacefully, you check around with "glide view" - feels nicer.

Once you get into a fight, change to "static view", cause only there you can check your six fast enough.

Have fun!

Stiffy,

Save up your bucks, do a lot of overtime,, busk, sell a kidney...

Whatever you need to do....

Get TrackIR mate. An absolute ESSENTIAL to combat.

Hello,

but ... and make this a big BUT ..

is there ANY possibility that mouse control might be added for views, and movement of same ? The biggest drawback - and i mean it - is this "coolie hat" view. I find it even worse than pressing [Enter] and then move the joystick, as in Red Baron.

Nothing against TrackIR but i often DO fly with exterior view on - call me a cheater but the dev team shouldn't have done such a good job with skinning and modeling - i just HAVE to look at those planes from outside, and change views and angle.

So, is there any faint chance for mouse view control ?

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Hello,

but ... and make this a big BUT ..

is there ANY possibility that mouse control might be added for views, and movement of same ? The biggest drawback - and i mean it - is this "coolie hat" view. I find it even worse than pressing [Enter] and then move the joystick, as in Red Baron.

Nothing against TrackIR but i often DO fly with exterior view on - call me a cheater but the dev team shouldn't have done such a good job with skinning and modeling - i just HAVE to look at those planes from outside, and change views and angle.

So, is there any faint chance for mouse view control ?

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

I doubt it, Wells, sorry, but I don't think it's possible, or a big priority, and TrackIR, especially used, isn't that much money, and it is almost a must for most every other flight sim anyway. I also use the external views while flying and also enjoy looking at the skins, but I don't find the limitations there as much as in the in CP view restraints where TIR makes all the difference.

I think we're stuck on this one with the limitations of the CFS3 engine and I agree, they made some horrible decisions about view methods, but TIR has solved all of them, so why not just bite the bullet and get TIR?

Edited by rabu

OR if you can't see your way clear to biting the bullet, and jumping for Trackir. Look into Free Track ,

How to Build a Free Track . . . for those who can't stretch their budgets, or sneak Trackir past the Wing Commander

You stand two chances of mouse look in OFF.

SLIM and NONE

After you get through spending the money on a video cam $25, cap $5, LED's & power supply $10, other expenses $??, hours or fooling around and ending up with a 1/3 quality TrackIR with low frame rate, why not just buy a used, real, TIR3 or a newer one and avoid the hassle, know that you are going to get something that works, and avoid the grief? Unless you are a glutton for self punishment, or just love the DIY project? Common guys, money can't be that tight, it's a hardware item that will last you for years and bring a great deal of enjoymnet, and if you don't like it, I can gurantee you can easily sell it to some one else on Ebay, or elsewhere.

Hello,

i certainly intend to get TrackIR sooner or later, but at present it looks like it will be later. Wife and me seem to lose their job sooner or later, like it currently happens to a lot of people in Germany, so ... positive thing is i will have more time for OFF. Paying the debts for the house we recently built eats up a lot of resources.

But a used TrakIR (never thought of this before lol) is certainly a bargain.

Greetings,

Catfish

Indeed Stiffy, the coolie hat / keys for viewing are a pain even when on scroll view.... so I went the Free Track route as I had a pang of conscience about hosing out €€€s.

I got a Track Clip Pro as I couldn't face fiddling around to build my own clip or cap for use with Free Track. The clip cost about €35 including shipping. I am using it with an old webcam with a piece of floppy disc stuck over the lense to filter out visible light. The software setup is a little tricky but Gous is a star and helped me through and it works great! Search the forum for more on this. It takes a bit of tweaking to get the curves right, but I find with linear response, large deadzones and quite a lot of smoothing it works fine. Once up and running you can slide sideways over your Lewis gun and use the Custom Center - Set and that will be your new origin. Then you can have a joystick button mapped to Tracking - Center and when things get a little haywire you can hit that to re-center your view. It makes an incredible simulation even more immersive.

Having said all that... if the 'homebrew' route is too painful you can still use the Track Clip Pro with a TrackIR sensor and software, so at least you didn't waste money.

Edited by flynn