Sign in to follow this  
sambo

Saitek X-45

If your thinking about buy'n one of them throttle &sticks, I have some honest advice you may want to consider. I have A cyborg graphite I payed 20.00 bucks for and like it A lot. But it only has 4 buttons an 8 way hat, and A throttle. So I thought if they did that good for A 20.00 stick what would they do for my 80.00 bucks? Well this is what you can expect. The stick is the biggest peice of crap I have ever put my hand on. (1) the handle is to small for A mans hands(unless you have small grips) and your fingers will have to ride on top of other fingers, very uncomfortable. (2) The stick is way to stiff and rough, its almost impossible to make any slight adjustments to course without over controling.And the X-45 dosn't get any better with time, it will ware out before it gets broke in then you will have to live with slop to! There is also A rough spot in the stick so you end up with this; you make a turn slighty to keep from losing to much speed,but then you hit the rough spot and try to ease it through it , then all of a sudden it flops all the way and you over control missing the lock up. you just missed your only shot at survial. Its hard to belive that this stick cost so much and is so bad! The only other bad thing is the rudder, its A little stiff and hard to get your fingers on properly.On the good side its very easy to set up, and the bottons have A good stiff spring. so now you know what I think about the X-45 by Saitek. if you can live with these falts its ok!

I think i have to disagree with you almost completely. I've had my X-45 for about a year now and can't say i've had any of the problems you have mentioned. Sure it was a little stiff but a couple of small cable ties fixed that. I would have to say the worst part about the X-45 is the location of the rudder.

Considering this stick is compared to the HOTAS Cougar and the CH Products throttle and fighter stick, I would have to say it's excellent for the price.

I have an X36 and it is the same size as the x45. unless u have hands the size of andre the giant i cant see what you are talking about. My stick has no slop or rough spots and it is 2 years old and is not worn out. i fly constantly.

as for sensitivity. almost every game has a sensitivity setting to adjust for this. i suggest you search out yours.

if you are truly hard to plaes then i suggest u spend 300 for a ch pro setup with the usb stick throttle and rudder pedals. the price is steep but the hardware is unmatched by anything. including the cougar. and ch can be setup and ran with a lot less trouble than the thrustmaster stick

If you are not a hard core simmer i dont advise you to buy the ch pro setup. Only if u intend to get your money back out of it.

Gator

I am having a lot of problems understanding where you are coming from with your statements. I have owned several expensive sticks and the X-45 is right up there with the best of them --and for a lot less money.

As for size --I am a grown man and have at least average size hands. I have no problem with the size of the stick --in fact I am about to make a base attachment so that I can rest my hand about 1/2 inch higher up the stick shaft. With my index finger on the trigger and my little finger on the "pinkie switch" I have about 1/4 inch travel with my other two fingers between the two switches --- that is plenty of room.

As for stifness. I can control the flight of my planes in MSFS, Falcon4 and LOMAC with ease. I can smoothly move the planes micro amounts with no effort.

However you do have to adjust the stick sensitivity in each sim to be able to do this --that is normal and expected.

I have heard of others using cable ties to loosen the stick spring a little but I have not found it to be necessary. My X-45 is smooth and light on the touch.

LOMAC needs serious sensitivity adjustments in the input menu for most all sticks. These adjustments will lessen the sensitivity from the default settings. This appears to be your problem with "overcontrolling" The overcontrolling can be dampened out and the stick made to behave by making changes to the sensitivity curves.

Start out by setting the sensitivity values as follows---

Pitch ------

Shift at 80

dead zone at 10

curv at 25

Roll --

settings same as for pitch

Rudder ---------

Shift at 100

dead zone at 0

Curv at 25

Make these adjustments and if you do not like them then make small changes until you find a set of conditions that you prefer better. But do not expect things to get better unless you make some adjustments.

GEHA Guys, I Guess if you wan't to get stung you have to kick the ant hill ! I'v taken the base apart , not any much you can do in there. but someone suggested a CH. I was going for one but thought I might save some cash ,

but after this experience i'm going to have hands on stick test before shell out

400.00 + bucks for rudder-throttle-stick combo!