Sign in to follow this  
Canvas Wings

RIP Cpt Kerry Jones

His Majesty’s government regrets to inform you that your son, 276509 Captain Jones, Kerry, 54 Squadron RFC, was killed in action February 1st 1917 while leading an attack against an enemy airfield.

Man that sucks. “Kanuck” Jones was my longest surviving pilot yet. Flying a Sopwith Pup with 54 RFC, he had over 36 hours in the air, with 10 confirmed victories, been promoted twice and awarded the DFC and bar.

His flight of four was sandwiched between two groups of four Albatross from Jasta 17. Jones himself spotted the trap being sprung and was climbing out of the fray. He turned on the tail of an enemy who appeared to be the highest opponent, fired a burst and then broke left to start climbing away. BIG explosion and fire. Black screen. Was it flak? I hadn’t noticed any ground up to that point. Was it a collision? I was sure everyone else was well below. Did someone fire one lucky burst and hit the fuel tank?

I’ll miss flying with Jones… but the worst part is not knowing what killed him.

His Majesty’s government regrets to inform you that your son, 276509 Captain Jones, Kerry, 54 Squadron RFC, was killed in action February 1st 1917 while leading an attack against an enemy airfield.

Man that sucks. “Kanuck” Jones was my longest surviving pilot yet. Flying a Sopwith Pup with 54 RFC, he had over 36 hours in the air, with 10 confirmed victories, been promoted twice and awarded the DFC and bar.

His flight of four was sandwiched between two groups of four Albatross from Jasta 17. Jones himself spotted the trap being sprung and was climbing out of the fray. He turned on the tail of an enemy who appeared to be the highest opponent, fired a burst and then broke left to start climbing away. BIG explosion and fire. Black screen. Was it flak? I hadn’t noticed any ground up to that point. Was it a collision? I was sure everyone else was well below. Did someone fire one lucky burst and hit the fuel tank?

I'll have a cold one in his memory. Ouch is right. I just lost my longest living Tripe pilot.

I am sorry for your loss. Jones sounds like he had a lot of promise to be truly remarkable and as a father that has lost four pilots today alone (RIP Hornswaggle Von Goldenwulf, RIP Hornswaggle Von Goldenbear, RIP Hornswaggle Von Diamondwulf) and most painful of all RIP "BARON HORNSWAGGLE VON GOLDENWULF," who was cut down by his own greedy hand whens't he refused to pull back from plugging rounds into his soon to be kill number 5 and instead ramed himself and said victim steadfast into flaming oblivion.

So with you I drink, the finest whiskey on hand, for tomorrow the graves shall be waiting for our new children that shall most certainly follow.

I salute his memory as he hands the torch to someone willing to carry it drinks.gif

"A poor aviator lay dying

At the end of a bright summer's day

His comrades had gathered about him

To carry his fragments away

The airplane was piled on his wishbone

His Hotchkiss was wrapped round his head

He wore a spark-plug on each elbow

'Twas plain he would shortly be dead

He spit out a valve and a gasket

And stirred in the sump where he lay

And then to his wondering comrades

These brave parting words he did say

"Take the magneto out of my stomach,

And the butterfly valve off my neck,

Extract from my liver the crankshaft,

There are lots of good parts in this wreck"

"Take the manifold out of my larynx,

And the cylinders out of my brain,

Take the piston rods out of my kidneys,

And assemble the engine again."

drinks.gif

Hurrah for the next man to die!

Congratulations CW

A fine effort indeed

Myself, I've been knocking off pilots at an alarming rate

I should name all my pilots Blucher from now on

A toast to Sir Kerry! drinks.gif

He was a fine guy the Captain, at least he had a quick end.

Hip, hip...... itifonhom

[an Albatros D III with a white band with black lines, and the word "Mops"

on the fuselage suddenly roaring over the mess at lowest altitude;

a small wreath sailing down; the German craft pulling up, disappearing.

A note attached reading:]

We want to express our respect for a fine pilot from the Royal Flying Corps.

He took up the fight against our fighters in a desperate situation without

any hesitation. He would have surely given us a great fight, but he was

taken out by a direct Flak hit - he had no chance, but he did not suffer.

The pilots of Jasta 17

[an Albatros D III with a white band with black lines, and the word "Mops"

on the fuselage suddenly roaring over the mess at lowest altitude;

a small wreath sailing down; the German craft pulling up, disappearing.

A note attached reading:]

We want to express our respect for a fine pilot from the Royal Flying Corps.

He took up the fight against our fighters in a desperate situation without

any hesitation. He would have surely given us a great fight, but he was

taken out by a direct Flak hit - he had no chance, but he did not suffer.

The pilots of Jasta 17

LOL

Damn sporting of him! Salute.gif

Thanks, Olham....

Guest British_eh

Ah, another one bites the dust. Perhaps a glass of single malt SCOTCH, and then hit " Review Mission" and watch the events unfold.

Hard luck olde chap.

Cheers,

British_eh