Sign in to follow this  
Gromit

OFFMan: Fatal Error Installing OFF

I've dispatched an email to the support guys, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post here also...

Current specs:

2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64

2048 Megabytes Installed Memory

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

Windows Vista Home Premium (build 6000)

I received OFF in the mail earlier today, and did a fresh install of CFS3 (original Microsoft discs) and patched to v3.1. I then installed OFF off the DVD without a problem.

However, when I first ran the executable on the desktop, I received a window that showed that ActiveSky 6.5 (an FS9 3rd party add-on I have) was being installed. Not being sure what was going on, I canceled the installation.

Now, whenever I try to run OFF, I get an OFFMan: Fatal Error Installing OFF message.

I've followed its instructions, and fully removed the program, and then reinstalled, but to no avail. I've changed the the compatability on cfs3.exe and OFFManager.exe to WinXP, and set them both to run as administrator.

I'm at wit's end. I've tried everything I can think over the past 4 hours. Anybody have any other suggestions?

did you run cfs3 at least once before intalling bhah...

and that other program installing,,,thats sound wieird...

• Like 1

did you run cfs3 at least once before intalling bhah...

and that other program installing,,,thats sound wieird...

No, I didn't.

As far as AS6, it wasn't currently installed to begin with. I'm wondering if it wasn't some sort of registry anomaly that popped up. I have a sinking feeling that OFF was actually doing something important, and I canceled it in the middle of it. Now, I can't get passed it. :(

well...would think a complete uninstall would resolve that,

make sure you get the off folders in your appdata\local settings\microsoft folder (think that path is correct)

but you have to run cfs3 at least once to set up some files before you can install off3

• Like 1

If OFF, and the FS9 Program have a conflict, the answer is simple CHOOSE grin.gif

FS9 hasn't been installed in months. ;)

well...would think a complete uninstall would resolve that,

make sure you get the off folders in your appdata\local settings\microsoft folder (think that path is correct)

but you have to run cfs3 at least once to set up some files before you can install off3

I'm working with Mark from Support. We're trying various things...will keep you posted.

If FS9 Hasn't been installed in months, go too your control panel and Dump the Skys Program

I have FS9 FLIGHT ENVIRONMENT on Disc, but unfortunately I only Fly FSX

I want them both to work in Harmony, just won't cut it . . . CHOOSE

Nothing in the Control Panel to delete. Not sure where you're going with that...

I've tried to weed out everything I could that could be orphaned in the registry and the HDD. I defragged the drive, ran a registry cleaner, and attempted another reinstall.

As soon as I ran the executable on the desktop, a window popped up showing that I was installing ActiveSky 6.5 again. This time I let it run, and it went for about 45 seconds, and then I got the OFFMan: Fatal Error again.

I don't even have AS6.5 installed on my computer, nor do I have the files to install it. I deleted all of those.

I'm at a loss, and pretty darn frustrated.

And they said VISTA was the second comming. . . . Horse Hockey. . . .show's you what you get.

I'll just sit around with XP Home, and await the widespred arrival of Windows 7 Salute.gif

I'm sitting here right now with my XP Home Edition disc, pondering a rollback. Of course, I'd have to format the drive where the OS resides...

I'm just paranoid I'll screw it up. :blink:

I installed both CFS3 and OFF on my son's computer, and everything went flawlessly. The discs are obviously fine...there's just something screwy with my rig.

I'd play it on his computer, but it's an eMachine (he's only 7)...it won't run it as well as I'd like.

*sigh*

I really want to play this thing...

I pretty convinced that my registry is the problem. This is a 4+ year old computer I'm on, and the HDD is at least 3 years old. Needless to say, there's been a lot of installing and uninstalling over the years.

Is there a way (barring a new install of the OS) to completely eradicate bad registry entries and essentially start fresh?

Keep in mind that I did have Phase 1 and Phase 2 on this rig years ago...not sure if that makes a difference.

Well, I tried everything I could think of, to no avail.

So I reformatted the HDD and then backpedaled to XP from Vista.

OFF loaded without a single problem. :)

Goodbye for awhile. The Fokker Scourge awaits me! :salute::grin:

Edited by Gromit

Before you get totally wrapped up in the Fokker Scourge

Answers to most Newbie Questions are here for taking.

Here being OFF Knowledge Base

STICKY OFF Tips & Cheats

If you still can't figure things out, sing out

The only Stupid Question, is the one that's Never Asked

Page 3 might be of interest

Plus now that you're running XP, you can play CFS3 QC, with VISTA it's a big NO - NO

I'll be back to ask plenty of questions. No worries there. :good:

What's CFS3 QC, though?

Edited by Gromit

quick combat....you pick your plane,,how many wingman,,what the enemy is,,etc etc,,etc

custom dogfighting if you will

• Like 1

quick combat....you pick your plane,,how many wingman,,what the enemy is,,etc etc,,etc

custom dogfighting if you will

And this is in CFS3 or OFF (or both)?

And this is in CFS3 or OFF (or both)?

Touche...