Sign in to follow this  
messaround

Can't install OFF

Hi all,

I'm having a little problem:after fresh system reinstall my dvd drive can't read OFF disk while it can read everything else. Im pretty sure I didn't damage the disk, it looks perfectly new...

Any ideas folks?

lol, tried all regular voodoo moves...to no avail... was thinking of getting new drive, but it just dont seem to be right thing to do...

lol, tried all regular voodoo moves...to no avail... was thinking of getting new drive, but it just dont seem to be right thing to do...

It's a round about way, but you can use Terra Copy to check both the disc and the integrity of the files by copying each to a location on your hd, say to a temp folder. By running Terra Copy, you setup an interface between the drive and the disc. IF Terra Copy is able to read, the drive will simply spin and TC will copy. If TC encounters a problem on the disc itself, it'll try to reconstruct the area and will give a fault. It will keep trying until you stop it. I've found that 8-10x's tries pretty well determines an unrecoverable disc problem. If TC is successful, then there's a specific problem with the disc read initializing and the dvd. At least with a successful copy, you can load from the temp location.

plug_nickel (Al)

ty for your suggestion, alm, i tried that program but unfortunately it can't see the OFF disk just the same.if I click on my optical drive in explorer- nothing shows up on the right side, it's like the the drive is empty.I guess it's best to try OFF disk on another pc...

Ok, I figured how TC works and tried to test the disk, the result is: Error: The filename,directory name,or volume label syntax is incorrect... sigh

Ok, I figured how TC works and tried to test the disk, the result is: Error: The filename,directory name,or volume label syntax is incorrect... sigh

Rats...I was hoping that all you had was a "simple" lead-in problem initializing the read. Since you've gone this far, try another computer and see if you can access the files through Explorer. If you can see the files, then try TC on that computer. It just might be some .dll "anomaly" that's inhibiting the drive from syncing the TC interface and the files on the dvd. Minimize Explorer, don't close it. Install TC and then bring up Explorer and try to copy. Heck, "in for a penny, in for a pound". After that, it looks like a new dvd. Good luck.

plug_nickel (Al)

Send an email to support together with your order number and we'll try to help.

Thanks a lot uncleal,alm and Pol, I tried it on a friend's PC yesterday and it worked!!! So I'll keep looking for a fix. it just puzzles me why the damn thing plays other dvds...anyway I'll let you know when it's fixed

Edited by messaround

Thanks a lot uncleal,alm and Pol, I tried it on a friend's PC yesterday and it worked!!! So I'll keep looking for a fix. it just puzzles me why the damn thing plays other dvds...anyway I'll let you know when it's fixed

Bingo! If you have a dvd-rw, copy files to it and try the copied dvd on your computer. If it works, it's a dvd issue. If it also fails to install, my suggestion is to go through the "remove hardware" and its driver and any specific dvd drive software and let plug-n-play reinstall your dvd and its driver(s). Then you can reinstall the drives specific software. If you've added any new codecs, a .dll may have gotten corrupted and is not playing nice with your OFF3 dvd.

plug_nickel (Al)

messaround,,,where in gods name you been???

so..when you get this all squared away,,we gonna see you back in mp?

Little update here...Got me a new DVD drive, everything works now...that's well that ends well...

Hi duck, wasn't flying much lately, just qc's, might get back with you guys sometime this week... should I d/l something to be able to join?

patched to 1.32 with g patch,,and have madmatts installer (gives u gotha and zepplin)

and watch the mp forum, cause we are going to some addons that you will need to download for the sunday campaign seesions (2pm edt)

lol..and,,if you are going to play on sunday,,sorry,,but your gonna have to breakdown and get teamspeak....

everything is in the tuturial in the sticky section of the mb forum