Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

SF2 - Where to put XXX.INIs after extracting XXX.CATs and changing them?

Hi!

With the "CatPack-tool" I have been able to extract ObjectDataXXX.CAT-files from the original TW-data-set.

I changed a few entries (just deleted the ShipSmoke from some craft) and now want to put the changed data back... But where do I put it? The tool's instructions don't go into detail exactly where to put the data afterwards...

I already tried saving the "new" (i.e. CargoShipDATA.INI) data directly in the Mod-folder under Objects - no use. Same under Objects/Ground Objects.

From the instructions I understand to leave the original data-set unchanged - but how can a change be applied if the original data remain the same?

Anyone to tell me, where to put those changed files and the logics behind, maybe?

Thanks a lot.

Oliver

If i remember correct, the ground objects structure is the same as the one of the aircraft folders. Like an aircraft path for the DATA.ini (example, Objects/Aircraft/F-16A/F-16A_DATA.ini) the file of the cargoship should go to "Objects/GroundObject/CargoShip/CargoShip_DATA.ini".

The original Data indeed remains unchanged, inside the CAT folder. The game will first look into the "Mod" folders and use the files there. If no file is present, the game will return to looking into the CAT, using that file. :grin:

(To let others learn, maybe, let's stick to English...drinks.gif )

Thanks for confirming, that the original CAT remains as is - I already thought that the game might check the Mods-folder first and "ignore" the original files then... Now I KNOW! Salute.gif

In my case I changed some .INIs for the Oiltankers and Cargoships. Some of them - TANKER i.e. - do not already exist in the mods; do I need to create the full "Tanker-folder" (including the changed .INI) under Mods' Ground Objects then? (Might be a good try.) Simply adding the changed .INI to Objects or Ground Objects did not apply my changes, yet.

Yep, keep it here international for everyone! :grin:

And yes, all folders wich are not present in the Mod folders, need to be created, if you want to have changes working!

Thanks - I will try again and post if successful - or ask if not!grin.gifdrinks.gif

Guest Eject

Yep, keep it here international for everyone! :grin:

And yes, all folders wich are not present in the Mod folders, need to be created, if you want to have changes working!

Hi all, it is me EJECT (search in Forum pls),

Your chats re above interest me, since I encounter same hassles with xxx.Cat I refer to especially OBJECT dot Cat. Piece of cake with this, very useful to check out e.g. the complete contents of some STOCK planes, like the IAF Netz, F-4E Kurnass, F-16 rtc., when in theeir respective planes_data.ini were presented seeminglu INcomplete. Viola! We could have a complete "contents" of theirs in OBJECT.CAT

I have never tried the other CATS tho, for fear of ruinging AGAIN my WOI and WOE. Yet, I am tempted to (do) it.

Wrench guidence is very helpful in this. So, according to him, the ENGINE of the game (TW) will bever bother to search in to the CAT (analogy of DRAWERS on a DESK), it (Engine) will always first check what are available ON tge Desk.

Now, I do nt know what you guys were refering to with Mod Folder???? Enlighten me pls...Thanks:salute:

@ Eject: in the SF2 series, the basic game-data is saved under the Programs on the C-drive (and remains there unaltered). At first start up, the game (itself) creates an additional folder in the Vista's user-drive under "saved games" (we call it the Mods-folder). There go your (personal) pilots and campaign data.

Additinal to this, THIS is the folder where to put your mods (therefore the name).

Two big benefits: THAT's the folder to fiddle around with (modding) as the original data remain untouched, and THAT's the folder to make back-ups of the latest well-working environment. (It's - well - quite manageable; my current back-up has a size of 5.7 GB with the SF2V, the Expansion Pack 2.0 with the patches and some few aircraft-skins applied.)

Hope this helps...

Back to my topic:

I did not have too much time to test yesterday evening, but in the Mods-folder I already found "CargoShip", "Tanker" and "CV-63" under the Objects/GroundObjects - so I did not need to create these folders anew. (They already contained the "basic"-INIs like "Tanker.INI" for example. The CV-63-folder also contained a sub-folder "Grey1"...)

So I just clipped my changed XXXDATA.INIs from "Objects", put them into the respective folders and checked. Game started, NAVY Campaign started (to check the carrier's deleted smoke first) - and CTD'd when loading the mission data (at around 80% loaded).

So THAT was not it - guess I had some conflicting data in there somewhere... (Although I only put those three DATA.INIs from one folder into those sub-folders!?dntknw.gif )

I deleted my Mods folder and had to restore from latest back-up.

I need to re-check (maybe leave the CV-63 untouched at first), what might have caused this. But for the moment, I do not have a solution...

Any further input?

Keeping track of this, yesterday I did some more trying:

I have CargoShipDATA.INI, CV-63DATA.INI and TankerDATA.INI lying in my "Objects/Ground Objects"-folder (directly). But there they do not seem to be effective, as their Ship Smoke is still there.

Putting EITHER OF THESE into their respective folders under "Ground Objects" (like "Cargo Ship", "Tanker" or "CV-63") makes the sim CTD at around 80% of a mission loaded...

I'm lost!dntknw.gif

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!!