Sign in to follow this  
Oswald Bastable

Glide wrappers

I used dgVoodoo in Mechwarrior2 and Red Baron 3D. Seems a fine and stable utility.

Zeckensack's Glide wrapper I think is the recommended one for EAW, although I run EAW in D3D, so it's never been an issue for me.

:salute:

I too use D3D to play EAW and I have not noticed any real difference visually between the D3D and Glide in playing the base game.

If you do use a Glide Wrapper to play EAW, the default planes are okay, but quite a few of the communities addon on planes have visual problems (holes or vanishing plane pieces) caused by Glide that are not there for the exact same addon D3D planes.

At one time back (before Dec 2007), Glide did give the ATI video card players their horizion fog, but ATI fixed this issue with their Dec 2007 video drivers (reinstalled horizion fog on old games), so Glide now has no positives over D3D in playing EAW.

The bottom line is use Glide to play RB3D (as I do), but use D3D to play EAW. The way you do that, is just put the Glide ".dll"s into your RB3D folder so it only effects RB3D, but no other game.

Edited by Panama Red

Hmmm, i never managed to get the fog in the past years. Before i was using an ATI radeon 2800, wich wouldnn't support it, and now on vista my Nvidia 9800 does not want to make it neither.

So even with last pilots and High end grphic cards the fog is a real issue.

I would love to put in Glide with Zicken's wrapper(which activates the fog) but problem is the texts all desappear in glide mode.

So i play without fog in 1440.900 and it's still quite beautiful.

Yep, Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper seems the best in EAW. It's available from this page:

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

As for the text disappearing, that is one I hvae never run across before. When in glide mode, the game gets all it's colors from a single palette rather than from the palettes associated with each image. That is why you get funky colors in some of the mods. But the text should be coming from the first 12 colors, which are the same in all standard palettes.

The colors are also adjustable from the ini file for all the new exe files. If you are having problems with the hud text, look in there. If it is on the plane selection screen, in the new exe files you can click near the bottom of the screen and a color selection chart appears. If it is in the inflight text that appears in bottom center or at some other point we would be interested in knowing more.

Cheers!

I've got an ATI 4850 and do not have any problems with fog in d3d or Glide with Hackensacks. My drivers are from this past summer. I do note that Glide does treat colors and 3d models differently than d3d. It seems to prefer the original palettes to modded ones and dislikes piggybacks as well. It drives me crazy whilst skinning a bird.

Glide seems to give better frame rates than D3D.

When things quiet down from new EAW patch releases, maybe some attention can be paid to Glide.

Yep, Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper seems the best in EAW. It's available from this page:

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

As for the text disappearing, that is one I hvae never run across before. When in glide mode, the game gets all it's colors from a single palette rather than from the palettes associated with each image. That is why you get funky colors in some of the mods. But the text should be coming from the first 12 colors, which are the same in all standard palettes.

The colors are also adjustable from the ini file for all the new exe files. If you are having problems with the hud text, look in there. If it is on the plane selection screen, in the new exe files you can click near the bottom of the screen and a color selection chart appears. If it is in the inflight text that appears in bottom center or at some other point we would be interested in knowing more.

Cheers!

Well, when i use zeckensack wrapper in unmodded EAW 1.2 , Glide mode, after launching the game all hud texts (speed , direction, target info) and also the padlock square just all desappear. Basically all what is "written ontop" of the screen. When outgame, in menuscreens and others, i have no any problem.

I tried to contact Zeckensack without success.

Also, the same happens after an 1.28 install.

I must say i play under vista, it has maybe something to do with it.

Regards.

Edited by nixarass

That is strange; I haven't run it under Vista, I have XP and my wife won't let me play with her Vista machine, LOL!

Glide is a strange animal....

One thing you could try is EAW Control. It has a feature that allows you to easily change the RGB values for the Enemy and Friendly HUD.

You can get it here:

http://www.sandbagger.uk.com/CORD/files/addon/eaw2000.zip

Just a quick question all,

How are you getting past the Error 7127 roadblock? I really liked EAW, and had multiple versions on my previous machine, but can't get past this trap with my present rig (it uses an NVidia GeForce 9800GT, driver version 6.14.11.7783).

Mike

Hi Mike.

It's a mixed bag really.

The good news is that if you head to SimHQ and upgrade to 1.28b you will get a version which does not 7217

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2881265/Help_Blank_Screen_after_openin.html#Post2881265

Note some of the problems, check the advice given, but use the links in the signature below any of my posts.

The bad news is that although the 7217 is fixed you may get screen tearing on the mainscreen, making selection impossible.

Please try it anyway, and let us know how you go.

We have another remedy, with an exe using 1024 x 768 screens which fixed the old garbled map screen problem, and in some cases the screen tearing problem.

In other cases the screen tearing is reduced, but it is still there.

Jel

Hi Mike.

It's a mixed bag really.

The good news is that if you head to SimHQ and upgrade to 1.28b you will get a version which does not 7217

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2881265/Help_Blank_Screen_after_openin.html#Post2881265

Note some of the problems, check the advice given, but use the links in the signature below any of my posts.

The bad news is that although the 7217 is fixed you may get screen tearing on the mainscreen, making selection impossible.

Please try it anyway, and let us know how you go.

We have another remedy, with an exe using 1024 x 768 screens which fixed the old garbled map screen problem, and in some cases the screen tearing problem.

In other cases the screen tearing is reduced, but it is still there.

Jel

Thanks Jel,

I've given the v1.28a & b EAW versions a try, and do get past the 7127, only to get the trashed main screen as you predicted. I'll just have to wait for the v1.28c, to give that a try. It would be nice to get EAW back, even in this day of a mature IL2 & BoB2 - I had multiple versions of EAW, from the Spanish Civil War (loved that one) to Korea (which was better in my view than any of the commercial Korean air combat sims).

Mike

Mike- try this

http://www.users.on.net/pam_biddell/1024.exe

It is a 7-zip self extractor. A 1.28C test with 1024x768 code and support files.

You may still get screen tearing, it may be reduced, or you may be lucky.

Let us know anyway, because we need to know systems it works on and systems that it does not.

There is some theory that the degree of screen tearing is affected by the vertical sync settings.

Unless I have it wrong the recommendation is to turn it off if that is possible on your card.

:cool: Jel

Edited by Jel

Mike- try this

http://www.users.on.net/pam_biddell/1024.exe

It is a 7-zip self extractor. A 1.28C test with 1024x768 code and support files.

You may still get screen tearing, it may be reduced, or you may be lucky.

Let us know anyway, because we need to know systems it works on and systems that it does not.

There is some theory that the degree of screen tearing is affected by the vertical sync settings.

Unless I have it wrong the recommendation is to turn it off if that is possible on your card.

:cool: Jel

OK Jel

Tried it, it's better, but not there yet. Previously I got the theme music plus a completely garbaged screen - or at least 2/3 of the screen was all jumbled up, but with black margins down the RH side and along the bottom.

Now I get the theme music plus a recognisable EAW startup screen, full screen but ripped by horizontal lines. They are worse in the top half of the screen, it's garbage, but I can make out the image through the lines in the bottom half - this is about 50% image, 50% lines. Same result with v-sync forced off, forced on, and default (system-set).

Oh well. My frustration is compounded by the fact that tonight my IL2 1946 setup decided to stop recognising its dvd as being genuine...

Mike